welcome aboard party info, please

mringenoldus

This is what we have heard:

Just been lurking on another "O" thread and saw the following.

"Effective immediately on all ships-A Captain’s Welcome Party will be conducted to welcome guests onboard upon embarkation :

1. The Captain will make an announcement from the Bridge to welcome all guests onboard

2. We will have a 2 hour complimentary open bar (no premium brands), all bars will be open during this 2 hour period

3. Officers will make their way through all of the bars to socialize with guests and welcome them onboard"

This is what we have heard:

Just been lurking on another "O" thread and saw the following.

"Effective immediately on all ships-A Captain’s Welcome Party will be conducted to welcome guests onboard upon embarkation :

1. The Captain will make an announcement from the Bridge to welcome all guests onboard

2. We will have a 2 hour complimentary open bar (no premium brands), all bars will be open during this 2 hour period

3. Officers will make their way through all of the bars to socialize with guests and welcome them onboard"

Interesting

Must be new as usually you have Muster drill sometime before sailaway then it is time for dinner ;)

maybe someone with recent experience will comment

Where is the thread?

Then again, if this is a new policy I don't think you'll need information. It will be announced. And if you can go to any bar and get a drink, you don't really NEED the information. Listen for the captain's announcement, and go get happy!

This does sound different from the usual captain's reception held towards the beginning of the cruise.

Mura

This does sound different from the usual captain's reception held towards the beginning of the cruise.

Mura

On the Marina cruise they did it that way but it was later in the week as usual

I would think the officers would be too busy at sailaway time to have a party :D

Possibly it's a way to get people to board earlier. I know on our last cruise we boarded and then decamped again to enjoy the ambience of Barcelona. But if there had been free drinks, Barcelona might not have been so attractive.....

Mo

Interesting

Must be new as usually you have Muster drill sometime before sailaway then it is time for dinner ;)

maybe someone with recent experience will comment

Where is the thread?

I posted that information June 16th in a roll call thread after I was ensured by email from Oceania that it was OK to share it with everyone. (I wanted to be sure not to "spoil a surprise" if that was the intention. I was told to go ahead and share the information, so I did. :) )

So, it's now two months later. Surely some passengers have experienced this and could report back on the experience.

How was it handled on the ship?

I posted that information June 16th in a roll call thread after I was ensured by email from Oceania that it was OK to share it with everyone. (I wanted to be sure not to "spoil a surprise" if that was the intention. I was told to go ahead and share the information, so I did. :) )

So, it's now two months later. Surely some passengers have experienced this and could report back on the experience.

Interesting

Maybe they just thought it was normal state of affairs ;)

The post quoted does not make reference to a certain ship.

Marina is done that way but, hopefully, the R ships still hold a get together in the Lounge.

That created a much nicer atmosphere than on Marina just showing up in a (crowded) bar for a free drink or two. The layout of Marina's Lounge is not conducive for such an event so it makes sense on that class of ship to hold the 'Reception/Party' at several venues throughout the ship but I do prefer the Captain's reception on the R-ships.

For me, on the R-ships was more of a event and on Marina it felt more like showing up for a free drink. That said they have little choice but to hold it that way. Perhaps though if ALL the Entertainment staff (to keep our limited attention) and Officers were to make appearances in a coordinated manner it would be more of an event.

That created a much nicer atmosphere than on Marina just showing up in a (crowded) bar for a free drink or two. The layout of Marina's Lounge is not conducive for such an event so it makes sense on that class of ship to hold the 'Reception/Party' at several venues throughout the ship but I do prefer the Captain's reception on the R-ships.

I agree

I much prefer the party in the lounge like the R-ships had it

I was on the Marina about two weeks ago and the party was held on the second evening after the start of the cruise.

This event was celebrated on Insignia on the sail away day,July 26,2011... after the life boat muster. It was noted as 6PM in Martinis, Pool Deck and Horizons with complimentary drinks. The Captain and "some" officers were available and it was well attended. The notice was in The Currents newsletter.

I was on the Marina about two weeks ago and the party was held on the second evening after the start of the cruise.

I had the impression, based on that email (mringenoldus quoted my post correctly), that this was to be an additional amenity, not a replacement for the more formal Captain's Cocktail Party on a subsequent evening.

Is there anyone on any Oceania ship that has experienced the welcome aboard cocktails, the Welcome announcement from the bridge, etc. in addition to a more formal Captain's Cocktail Party since mid June of this year?

Celebrity offers guests champagne upon boarding, and Crystal offers an extensive, free-flowing champagne luncheon in the main dining room upon boarding in addition to their later Captain's cocktail parties, and so it didn't seem at all unusual to me that Oceania would provide complimentary cocktails to welcome guests on boarding. It just seems like a nice touch.

I had the impression, based on that email (mringenoldus quoted my post correctly), that this was to be an additional amenity, not a replacement for the more formal Captain's Cocktail Party on a subsequent evening.

Is there anyone on any Oceania ship that has experienced the welcome aboard cocktails, the Welcome announcement from the bridge, etc. in addition to a more formal Captain's Cocktail Party since mid June of this year?

See the post directly above yours.

Archived