Has anyone been on a ship during weather like this?

browneyedwoman

We will be sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride next Sunday. We are supposed to go to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport but I guess we'll see what happens. Have any of you been on a cruise ship during similar weather. What should we expect?

Hi! Are you on the 8/28 sailing? If so, come on over and join the Roll Call!

We have cruised many times during the height of hurricane season. Last year we got lucky and had zero issues. We've had some rough sailings, and we do think it might be rough when we leave Baltimore, if the storm stays on the track it currently is!

It'll be fine! Honest!

Suze!

We were on the Carnival Elations leaving out of Galveston when Katrina hit New Orleans. It did not change our route any but boy did the Captain put the hammer down and we flew out of the port. We were rocking and rolling for a good 24 hours and I would say 3/4 of the ship were sea sick. People throwing up everywhere. We did not realize the impact on New Orleans until we came back 7 days later. We seem to hit Hurricanes at some point on our cruises. Had to go out of Houston Bayport 3 years ago after Ike hit Galveston. Now we are watching Irene as we sail out of Port Canaveral on Saturday.

We were on the Glory Thanksgiving week back in 2005 being chased around by a Tropical Storm that became a Hurricane. Our itinerary was changed a couple of times and the second night was VERY rough... the ship was pretty much a ghost town as most folks were in their cabins sick. After that night everything settled down and we had a GREAT cruise. Just go with the mindset that things may be changed up a bit, stay flexible and the Captain will do whatever he/she can to make the cruise a safe/smooth one. Good news about a cruise ship is that IT can move AROUND the storm ;-)

We were on the Carnival Elations leaving out of Galveston when Katrina hit New Orleans. It did not change our route any but boy did the Captain put the hammer down and we flew out of the port. We were rocking and rolling for a good 24 hours and I would say 3/4 of the ship were sea sick. People throwing up everywhere. We did not realize the impact on New Orleans until we came back 7 days later. We seem to hit Hurricanes at some point on our cruises. Had to go out of Houston Bayport 3 years ago after Ike hit Galveston. Now we are watching Irene as we sail out of Port Canaveral on Saturday.

I'll have to remember to check your cruising schedule before I book a cruise during hurricane season in the future!;)

We were on a western Caribbean cruise when Katrina hit New Orleans. We did have some rough seas, but the captain and crew stay on top of the weather and know exactly where hurricanes and tropical storms are located so they can navigate around them. They will not put the ship in harm's way, even if it means turning a western Caribbean cruise into an eastern one or vice versa.

If you think you're likely to get sea sick (or even if you don't know but are sailing with a potential storm in the vicinity) it might pay to take along some bonine or other sea sickness remedy. That way you will not spend time in misery confined to your cabin.

We were heading out on the NCL Epic almost exactly a year ago when Hurricane Earl hit. The day of boarding we were advised all of our ports changed from Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean which we were not thrilled about but we had a great cruise, we never saw a drop of rain, the seas were calm and we got to visit Roatan which was not on our radar for a port to visit.....it was great and I would go back!

In the end they will make the decisions that make the most sense from a safety perspective for the passengers, the crew and the ship itself. My word of advice is to relax and go with the flow and hopefully it will all work out for you....

Thanks for the info. I'll make the best of it but I might look into more seasick remedies. Last time I stuck with ginger and they worked. What are the Western Caribbean ports of call in case we go ther instead?

I just got back from Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Grand Cayman in May and there is a ton of stuff to do and they are great ports. Really good if you like to snorkel or dive. Better than Eastern.

Get some Bonine; less sleepiness than with Dramamine.

Yep. My first cruise was changed from Eastern to Western due to a hurricane. That first night out the ship was rocking!!!!:eek: I got sea sick and went to bed. The rocking actually helped me get to sleep. I woke up the next morning and it was calm. It was a great cruise and got me hooked.

Yep several times

They have changed the port schedule around, if it was a tender port added a sea day or 2 even changed the Itinerary completly different than originally scheduled from east to west.

One time years ago on the Fascination or Imagination maybe Insperation(one of the fantasy class with long name) I dont which one but on our last night trying to get to POM It was rocking so much a Ketchup bottle flew off the table and shattered one of the tempered windows in the buffet.

Probably 20ft swells. Must have hit a rogue as it really lurched just that one time

The rest of the time It was funny watching people walking. It was like we had a ship full of drunk people.

Thats the reason I dont book cruises during sept to nov in the Caribe

We will be sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride next Sunday. We are supposed to go to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport but I guess we'll see what happens. Have any of you been on a cruise ship during similar weather. What should we expect?

We were on board last winter as a major front passed south over Florida. All I can tell you is to start taking sea sick meds a couple of days before sailing and don't rely on ginger, use a pharmaceutical. Then hold on because you are going to bounce and rock and roll! But is it a great ride as long as you don't get sea sick!

We caught the tail end of hurricane Georges back in the nineties coming back into Ft Lauderdale. The waves were so rough that closet and drawers were banging open and closed all night long!! It was a very terrifying night. Thank goodness we made it back into port in one piece.

That's exactly why I carry a small roll of duct tape. I've had that happen with the doors and drawers before...

The storm track puts the center of the hurricane off the coast of Georgia by 2AM Saturday so weekend departures from Florida shouldn't be impacted unless the ships are delayed in getting back into port.

083214W5_NL_sm.gif

If anyone is a first time cruiser and is worried about their safety, please don't worry. The Captain will make sure you are out of the path of the storm....there is no worry about the ship sinking or anything. The worst that could happen is rocking and rolling....and change of ports. I've experienced both and I'm still cruising!!

It does look like Irene will be around the Chesapeake Bay on Sunday with winds possibly greater than 50 miles an hour. Since the cruise leaves on Sunday you may have a delayed departure if the ship can make it back into port. The bay has some strict nautical guidance that must be followed.

Once we had to keep changing ship directions in Eastern Caribbean to avoid a tropical storm.

Ride was rough......agree with others, just keep taking bronine. And note that the STRANGEST feeling when you DO get to a port is how shaky it feels just trying to walk on solid land !

After that trip, which was still fun........it took nearly a week at home before feeling fully balanced !

Archived