Leaving on the Miracle on Friday from NYC...

lmsdf

Truthfully, I don't know. I'm hoping not too bad (though I've packed the dramamine and the regular gravol and the extra strength gravol ~ just in case :o).

I'm on that cruise as well though. I'm wondering what's going to happen to our itinerary, if it's going to stay the same (grand turk, half moon cay, & nassau) or if it's going to change substantially.

Oh well, see you on the ship! :)

Since I'm not a meteorologist...no :o...but I've experienced semi-difficult seas while on one of my Miracle cruises, and I CAN tell you that she handles high seas very well.

Have a fabulous cruise!

we had friends sail on the triumph when hurricane floyd came through. the ship never sailed until after it passed, and set sail the next morning. he said the ship rocked and rolled, and "everyone" was sick, and barf bags were taped up and down all the hallways. the smell was sickening.

in your case, they may swing around irene to the east depending on her track. the further west she tracks, the better off you may be.

but as someone who has never been seasick, i would probably be seeking the bonine and other preventatives.

plan on a rough saturday anyway, as the gulf stream coming off the carolina coast traditionally can make for some rocky movement, but not as bad as when you cross it going from miami to the bahamas.

we were in a minor storm on the miracle, and we found she didn't handle too well. we were in an aft cabin, and wife was thrown off the toilet. of course, she woke us up to tell us how scared she was.

so i and the kids went upstairs at 3am for pizza.

good luck!

If Irene hugs the coast you mail have to go further out to sail around her which would take longer and could affect your itinerary. We have been in some pretty rough seas...20-22 foot waves, all decks closed off...aside from the noise the ship handled them very well.

I would think if for some reason she gets bigger and they can't get by, you may be sailing to NE worse case scenario...but then again that is where she is heading, so maybe Bermuda...unfortunately sometimes you don't know until you board the ship...

how rocky will the seas be as we pass Hurricane Irene?

Any thoughts?

Thanks! :(

So you will be going south, on what ship, as the hurricane is heading north.That will be interesting to see what CCL will do. Unless the ship goes far east out to sea I would think you will experience huge waves, futhermore I really dont not think CCL would go toward a hurricane because these things can be unpredictable where the path will go. Good Luck!!!

Gary

The weather channel says the east coast is going to be hit hard ,they say sunday into monday so you may be good to go.They may change your itinerary to keep you and the ship safe.If they do change you will get a nice 25%off coupon off your next cruise.Enjoy and dont worry you will be very safe

Pack some warm clothes...you just might be heading for Canada!

I'm on the same cruise and hopefully we won't be going north (we live in Vermont and that's way farther north than I wanna be anyway :p). But wherever we go I'm sure it will be an awesome cruise, as usual.

The Miracle is going to have an interesting cruise departing on Friday. Irene should still be down around the Outer Banks, but the effect will be felt all up and down the East Coast.

The latest wave height estimates from off the Bahamas are saying 25 foot waves. If these are swells, it will not be too bad. It will be challenging to figure out how to avoid this storm. If it goes far enough off shore, they may be able to sneak down between the storm and the coast. However, the consensus of the storm models is still that Irene will skirt Cape Hatteras and may come ashore between New York and Boston.

Account the current estimates, I think the likelihood of a Canada cruise is very small, indeed.

If I were the Captain, I would head due east from New York at maximum cruising speed (26 knots) until outside the major storm winds and seas and then go south to wherever. It looks as if Nassau may escape the worst effects of Irene, so that may be where you end up.

Good luck and prepare for an adventure as you may have one to tell the grandkids.

Doc

It wasn't small where I lived my office building just shook & shook!!! It was really scary!!!!

Agreed. It was a bit nerve-rattling. (no pun intended) But I meant small on the scale of what other regions have unfortunately endured in the past.:)

Archived