Booking cruise using points from BofA card...

Trying to figure out what to do regarding insurance if you book a cruise using your points on your BofA Royal card. What happens if you have to cancel (for a reason covered by insurance)? Does BofA redeposit your points or are you out of luck?

Should the insurance be for the amount that you get for your points (like if you book a balcony and the points are worth up to $2500)? Anyone used points but then had to cancel for something after final payment like illness or other covered event?

Thanks.

I have used BofA points for cruise before, and spoke with the insurance company I use. I had also used credit we had with southwest for taking a bump and using the credit for flight.

The people at the insurance company said they only insure the amount of money we pay, and if we use coupons, or redeem for flights, they can not refund that amount. So, if you do redeem BofA points, no need to insure your trip for that amount, it cannot be recovered. Also, if something comes up and you have to cancel, you will not get your points back into your account. I never cash in my points until the latest we can, except for this time. I cashed in 125,000 points just before final payment to use on our Allure cruise.

Hope this answers your question.

Due to a cancer diagnosis my mother had to cancel a cruise that she had booked using BOA visa points....after some faxing from her Doctor she actually did have the 125000 points credited back to her account. It CAN be done....you just have to be persistent and provide documentation they ask for.

I wonder if you have OBC from points and you have to cancel, shouldn't RCI be willing to transfer that OBC to another booked cruise?

I did this last December. We had planned to cruise with another couple and we gave them a gift of OBC from our Visa points. The other couple decided they could not go so I called Royal and had the OBC transferred to our booking right before they cancelled.

I even got an email discussing it from the CEO. It has to be cost (actual cash expenditure) was the term he used. I showed on my invoice that it was a "cash" expenditure as it was reducing my bill. He said none of the companies would refund in cash that price and BofA said they would not re-bank the points. Now I am with a different comapny that actually sends me a check for cruise points redeemed. I also am including the FAQ from Insure my trip below:

Q. Is there any company that provides travel insurance to cover loss of frequent flyer program miles due to cancellation of a trip?

A. Each Company views trips purchased using Frequent Flyer miles/points differently.

Please see below:

Global Alert:

Trip Cancellation:Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, to cover You for the unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for Travel Arrangements, including up to $100 for the cost of airline-imposed fees to rebank frequent flyer miles for air flights to join Your Trip when You are prevented from taking Your Trip...

Travel Insured:

1.Customer should insure all taxes and fees/any prepaid non-refundable expenses related to travel.

2.If they can re bank or reinstate miles or reward points, they should include that fee in the cost of the trip.

3.If their air miles or reward points do not have a program to re bank or reinstate therefore causing them to lose the miles/points, then they can insure for the actual cost of the miles/points.

MH Ross "Advantage Bridge":

Trip Cancellation: Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, to cover You for the unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for Travel Arrangements, including up to $100 for the cost of airline-imposed fees to rebank frequent flyer miles for air flights to join Your Trip when You are prevented from taking Your Trip...

Travel Safe:

Trip Cancellation: Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, to cover You for the unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for Travel Arrangements, including up to $150 for the cost of airline-imposed fees to rebank frequent flyer miles for air flights to join Your Trip when You are prevented from taking Your Trip...

Tru Travel: We will cover the cost of the fee under the Trip Cancellation benefit only to retain ones frequent flyer miles used for the Trip in the event of a covered claim up to a maximum of $200.

We would consider this under the section of the certificate that states: "non-refundable cancellation charges imposed by the Travel Supplier."

Archived