Feeling Nervous About Hurricane Irene

heidik

Ok I think I screwed up..........I have been waiting it out with US Air but now all flights before my original Sat. afternoon are booked. I bought a one-way ticket from Hartford to leave Saturday morning to Chicago and then to Toronto. I will have a 6 hour layover in Toronto and then will fly to Rome at 10:30pm. I don't mind the layover as it gives me some cushion if my flights to get to Toronto are delayed............

But now I'm very concerned that if I don't use my "first leg" of my US Air round trip ticket, the entire ticket gets cancelled?? I want to keep my return flight "as is", but will the ticket be cancelled if I do not check in for my outbound flight??? :(

Ok I think I screwed up..........I have been waiting it out with US Air but now all flights before my original Sat. afternoon are booked. I bought a one-way ticket from Hartford to leave Saturday morning to Chicago and then to Toronto. I will have a 6 hour layover in Toronto and then will fly to Rome at 10:30pm. I don't mind the layover as it gives me some cushion if my flights to get to Toronto are delayed............

But now I'm very concerned that if I don't use my "first leg" of my US Air round trip ticket, the entire ticket gets cancelled?? I want to keep my return flight "as is", but will the ticket be cancelled if I do not check in for my outbound flight??? :(

This is from US Airways:

4.3 FAILURE TO USE FLIGHT COUPONS

A customer who, due to a cancellation or delay of a flight or a voluntary change, does not fly a segment

of his or her itinerary must notify US Airways of any alternate travel plans prior to the originally scheduled flight departure to avoid cancellation of remaining segments. Depending on the changes made

and the ticket issued, additional charges, including a change fee or refunds, may apply

Try calling them and see what you can work out. I hope they would at least let you keep your return ticket. I wish you the best of luck!

O. My. Gosh...........I just called US Air and the recording said: "All of our agents are currently assisting other customers. Your approximate wait time is 80 minutes..." !!! Never heard that one before...I guess I'll keep trying to call them up until I leave Sat. morning. At least my flight update now is showing travel advisories for Hartford and Philadelphia so I hope it will be ok to keep the return flight.

Wow - thank you so much prim8keeper - I did not see this info. on their website. Very helpful. Thank you.

No problem, I used to fly them frequently when I lived near Philadelphia. Although, I will admit I'm glad I no longer have to fly them.

There is more info at the link below:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/aboutus/customersfirst/contractofcarriage.html

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a few years ago I had a RT ticket with USAir from PHL to FLL. I decided to not use the outbound ticket and instead book a one-way from Atlantic City to FLL. Thankfully, I decided to call USAir and just simply inform them that I would not b e using the outbound ticket, but was keeping the flight home. The informed me that if I didn't use the outbound, it would automatically cancel my flight home. The rationale being that if I didn't arrive at my destination, I would have no need to get back home. I asked if they could put a note in the computer stating I still wanted to keep my flight back, but she said that wasn't possible because they couldn't override the computer. It would automatically cancel out my flight home if I didn't take my flight down. Thankfully, although I had already booked my flight with Spirit from Atlantic City, when I called Spirit, they allowed me to cancel the ticket I had just booked and refunded my credit card.

You may be okay with your orginal flight. The worst is due to hit the N.J./PHL area on Sunday, so you may just get in under the gun by flying out Saturday.

Good luck.

Jo-Ann

Heidi ~ wishing you the very best getting to Rome! Keep us posted. I'm guessing if you don't fly your initial leg with USAir due to the hurricane, they will allow you to keep your return. See if you can get them to send you confirmation of that in an email.

Good luck!

Well, now the recording at US Air is saying they are receiving too many calls for their system to handle and to call back later...........I don't think I'm ever going to be able to get through to them before I leave...............I'm just going to pray my return ticket for Sept. 26 will still be valid.

Darn you Irene [shaking fist at sky] :mad:

Did you try emailing them?

http://www.usairways.com/Forms/Reservations.aspx

Be very specific about what you are doing and why and what you need from them. Try to print out your email, so when you go to the airport, if there is a problem, you have proof that you tried to contact them. And with some luck you will get a return email acknowledging that you are all set (print that too). Good luck.

I'm going to suggest that you call a bunch of US Airways numbers until you get someone who can help you BEFORE your original flight takes off. If you get the option of holding again, put them on your speakerphone for however long it takes. Annoying, yes, but eventually they should answer. This website shows all of US Airways Reservation numbers - even for Europe:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/contact/reservations.html

This is the number for their travel agent help desk: 800-231-3131

This is the number for their corporate headquarters: 480-693-0800

This is the number for refunds: 480-693-6735

Since your reservation is a flight to Italy - I'd probably call that one and ask for help if you cannot get through on any of the US numbers today.

Absolute last option is to go stand in line at the US Airways counter at the airport - but you must talk to someone BEFORE your original flight leaves.

Now why would you post the travel agent number? Not a very smart move. Perhaps if the op had originally gone through an agent, they wouldn't be in this position.

The travel agent number is openly available on the airline's website for anyone to see and in a dire emergency - which is the situation that this cruiser finds herself in, calling this number and apologetically asking for help plus explaining that she has been on hold for literally hours, can often lead to getting emergency help or getting directly through to reservations at an airline. US Airways is in the business of customer service and they should be willing to do anything they can to assist a customer who does whatever it takes to get through to them, especially in a disaster situation such as this hurricane.

ok, made it finally to Toronto -- baggage didn't..........United lady assured me it would be on an Air Canada flight to Rome to arrive tomorrow and be delivered to my hotel..........we shall see. I'm trying not to stress out about this.......I hope it works out

ok, made it finally to Toronto -- baggage didn't..........United lady assured me it would be on an Air Canada flight to Rome to arrive tomorrow and be delivered to my hotel..........we shall see. I'm trying not to stress out about this.......I hope it works out

Heidi,

I've been following your posts about your situation. I am very relieved that you made it to Toronto and am pulling for both you and your luggage to make it to Equinox.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much for posting, I've been terribly worried about you. I hope your luggage catches up with you, if not, there is amazing shopping in Rome where you can get all that you need.

I hope you have the best cruise of your life. You certainly deserve it after what you have been through to get to it.

Just in case, here is a website with advice about shopping for women's clothes in Rome:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Rome-144659/Shopping-Rome-Womens_Clothing-BR-1.html

Wishing you all the best.

Arrived at my hotel in Rome, no bags as had been promised by United.....just called United Baggage, not even on the plane to Toronto. Now she says they are expedited to Rome and I told her I am leaving tomorrow for a cruise.....

The concierge at the hotel says he has a stack of customers who are waiting to get their baggage like me...............maybe I'll get them when I arrive in Istanbul.........very disheartening. Need to eat some pasta.....and gelato.....

IMO, you should go shopping while on land to get at least a couple days of changes of clothes. If you buy 2 or 3 tops and a skirt, plus some underwear, no matter what happens, you will at least have some additional clothes for this cruise. But I just can't believe your bags didn't make it after all you have been through. Very frustrating indeed.

On our Eclipse cruise last May, the man in the cabin next door to us did not receive his luggage - EVER. And it was a 2 week cruise. Since they arranged his air, Celebrity gave him a couple of t-shirts, but he was not a happy camper.

One good thing is that Celebrity has more comprehensive stores onboard than other lines. On the Eclipse there was a full menswear store and a ladies boutique stocked with lots of clothing options. The man who had the cabin next to us whose baggage was lost didn't take advantage of this - perhaps it was out of his budget to buy a few clothes or maybe he was so angry with Celebrity that he didn't want to spend the money on their ship for clothes - I don't know. The main thing you might want to buy while on land is underwear - I didn't see any of that in the store onboard, but then I didn't ask if they had it either.

I am still hoping that your luggage will turn up. I'm just so sorry you are having to go through all of this.

Thank you for posting that you arrived in Rome. Now, I'm sending wishes that your luggage catches up with you somewhere soon! I'm hoping you had a few things tucked into your carry-on luggage, and that you will be able to treat yourself to a couple of new outfits, take advantage of the laundry services on the ship, and sail through this wonderful cruise in style even if the luggage doesn't show.

Have a great cruise!

Years ago on a 2 week Med cruise, we arrived in Barcelona and our luggage did not get there. It was more than a week before we got our bags....and some of my good clothes were stolen. Celebrity was great at contacting the airlines. They gave us the teeshirts, offered us clothes for formal nights, did our laundry same day for free. We were part of a plane load in which 82 people did not get their luggage. After that experience, I am careful about packing washable clothing in my carryon, read my tour books before the trip, know where to buy clothes quickly if needed, and leave the good clothes home. That proved valuable again when I lost my luggage on another trip. We bought clothing in 15 minutes and didn't panic. Loosing luggage happens too frequently. Never check bags that contain anything that you'd really be upset if it never reappeared. Buy travel insurance, pack light, and relax.

Arrived at my hotel in Rome, no bags as had been promised by United.....just called United Baggage, not even on the plane to Toronto. Now she says they are expedited to Rome and I told her I am leaving tomorrow for a cruise.....

The concierge at the hotel says he has a stack of customers who are waiting to get their baggage like me...............maybe I'll get them when I arrive in Istanbul.........very disheartening. Need to eat some pasta.....and gelato.....

This is one reason why, when I travel, I pack my clothes in my carry-on and put my other stuff (shoes, hair products, make-up, etc.) in my checked luggage. I figure it's always easy to replace those items; clothes not so much (especially when you're 4'10" tall like me!).

Jo-Ann

Archived