Aerobus in Barcelona

GailnBrad

Hi, The Aeruobus is easy to find. Just walk outside the terminal after you get your luggage and you should see it. You can pay on the bus. You don't need the exact fare but you should have small euro bills.You can see a picture here on this web site but I think the price may have gone up a little bit.

http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn/transport/airport-buses/aerobus-airport-bus

IF your hotel is close to Placa Catalunya or one of the other stops then it is a good way to arrive in the city.

I usually take a taxi back to the airport on the way home.

The official English language home page: http://www.aerobusbcn.com/index.php/en.html subpages show schedule, fares, etc.

It is is very easy to find. It's a good way to gt to your hotel if your hotel is near one of its stops. How close is close enough depends on mobility, desire to schlep luggage and how mush you have to schlep.

We just used it pre and post cruise to get to/from Hotel Jazz. Excellent service, 5.30 euros pp each way, and very luggage-friendly . The platform to get on the bus lowers to street level so you simply roll your luggage onto the bus- no steps! From Placa Catalunya the A1 leaves every 5 minutes and the A2 every 10 minutes. Excellent system!

I agree that the bus is very easy to find at the airport, and is a good way to travel so long as you are OK carring your luggage to your hotel.

To emphasize an earlier point, they will not give change greater than 20 EUR, and will not take American credit cards. I had a problem with them, as the ATM in the airport only gave me 50's.

We plan to take the Aerobus when we arrive in Barcelona in Nov. and are planning to get euros from the airport ATM.

However, if the ATM's only give out 50's and the bus drivers only accept cash and no change back greater than 20 euros, how do you handle this?

I really like to wait to get cash at the first ATM we come across after landing in a country, as the US banks have a generally worse exchange rate.

How have some of you handled this?

Hi DesertCruizers,

We often go out to Palm Springs for long weekends so we like your area too(just not in summer!)

Budget questions are always difficult as I don't know your style? I buy the T-10 transport ticket which allows 10 rides on metro and bus and can be shared so 5 rides each for 2 people. That's about 7.50e. I also jump into taxis if I get really tired. Bkfst is just coffee/pastry/juice or a bkfst sandwich so maybe 5e(if not included in hotel)

I am a bit of a foodie so I research restaurants and make reservations ahead. Lunch can be your big meal as there are good value 3 course meals at that time.

I have paid anywhere from 60e for a 6course tasting menu with wine (each) down to 15 or 20e(each)

IF you go to at least 3 museums then the Arteticket is a good buy and you can skip lines. Soooo I think last time I went with 500e for 5days and had money left over BUT that was just for 1 person.Hope that helps a bit.

However, if the ATM's only give out 50's and the bus drivers only accept cash and no change back greater than 20 euros, how do you handle this?
You can just buy a cup of coffee or snack... there's a small restaurant in the main hall of the terminal right next to the ATM's that had no qualms about taking my 50.

The Aerobus is a very cheap way to get into town. Fast too. There are taxis waiting to pick people up at the major bus stops where it drops people off, such as Plaza Espanya and Plaza Catalunya. Just in case you don't want to drag your luggage thru the streets to your hotel. It's cheaper than taking a taxi all the way from the airport in my opinion.

I agree that the bus is very easy to find at the airport, and is a good way to travel so long as you are OK carring your luggage to your hotel.

To emphasize an earlier point, they will not give change greater than 20 EUR, and will not take American credit cards. I had a problem with them, as the ATM in the airport only gave me 50's.

I've also heard that they will take a credit card on the bus. So who is right? If they do not take "American" credit cards on the bus, what kind do they take? Is there a 'ticket booth' nearby? Can you use a credit card there? Or what about breaking a 50euro by buying something small? Is there a shop accessible in the airport for this?

I've also heard that they will take a credit card on the bus. So who is right? If they do not take "American" credit cards on the bus, what kind do they take? Is there a 'ticket booth' nearby? Can you use a credit card there? Or what about breaking a 50euro by buying something small? Is there a shop accessible in the airport for this?

All I can report is my experience...

At the airport, there was a stand selling tickets for cash, maximum returned change of 20 EUR. A few feet away is a ticket-selling-kiosk that requires a chip-and-pin credit card. There's a big restaurant/coffee shop in the exit hall that had no problem taking 50 EUR. Can't miss it.

Going back to the airport, you could pay the driver cash for a ticket (no signs about how much change they would give.) There were also ticket sellers at Plaza Catalunya selling tickets with portable credit-card machines. No idea of those machines needed a chip-and-pin card.

You can just buy a cup of coffee or snack... there's a small restaurant in the main hall of the terminal right next to the ATM's that had no qualms about taking my 50.

We had to do that in Paris in the metro. It was early and the ticket windows were closed and the ticket machine only took euro coins or credit cards with a chip (i.e. non-US). We bought a croissant at a little store in the metro tunnel, I took one for the team :D.

Kirk

Did you walk from Placa Catalunya to the Jazz with your luggage and if so how long did it take ? and was it an easy walk ?

Just concerned after an overnight flight that we may be too tired.

Has anyone taken a taxi from Placa Catalunya to Hotel Jazz and if so what did it cost ?

We just used it pre and post cruise to get to/from Hotel Jazz. Excellent service, 5.30 euros pp each way, and very luggage-friendly . The platform to get on the bus lowers to street level so you simply roll your luggage onto the bus- no steps! From Placa Catalunya the A1 leaves every 5 minutes and the A2 every 10 minutes. Excellent system!

Did you walk from Placa Catalunya to the Jazz with your luggage and if so how long did it take ? and was it an easy walk ?

Just concerned after an overnight flight that we may be too tired.

Has anyone taken a taxi from Placa Catalunya to Hotel Jazz and if so what did it cost ?

We got off at the Univeristat stop and walked to Hotel Inglaterra (across the street from the Jazz). The Univeristat stop is closer than the Placa de Catalunya stop. It is maybe two blocks, 5 minutes, very easy.

I doubt a taxi would even be willing to take you from Placa de Catalunya to Hotel Jazz, it is about a 10 minute walk or two minute taxi ride.

Kirk

Thanks for the tip for getting off at Univeristat stop. If the Hotel Inglaterra is across from the Jazz is it still 5 minutes to the Inglaterra and 10 minutes to the Jazz ? Just confused if they are across from each other.

Also, is it a safe walk pulling our luggage that distance to the hotel ?

We got off at the Univeristat stop and walked to Hotel Inglaterra (across the street from the Jazz). The Univeristat stop is closer than the Placa de Catalunya stop. It is maybe two blocks, 5 minutes, very easy.

I doubt a taxi would even be willing to take you from Placa de Catalunya to Hotel Jazz, it is about a 10 minute walk or two minute taxi ride.

Kirk

Thanks for the tip for getting off at Univeristat stop. If the Hotel Inglaterra is across from the Jazz is it still 5 minutes to the Inglaterra and 10 minutes to the Jazz ? Just confused if they are across from each other.

Also, is it a safe walk pulling our luggage that distance to the hotel ?

I assume those saying 10 minutes got off at Placa de Catalunya instead of Univeristat. Either that or they walked really slow. :p

Kirk

Keith and others thanks for you input and advice. We just took the aerobus yesterday and got off at Universitat and it was a 3 minute walk to the Jazz. A lot of apprehension before hand but saw many others taking the aerobus at the airport so we hopped on and saved a good bit of money by doing so. It´s a breeze. Thangs again to my cc friends.

I assume those saying 10 minutes got off at Placa de Catalunya instead of Univeristat. Either that or they walked really slow. :p

Kirk

Keith and others thanks for you input and advice. We just took the aerobus yesterday and got off at Universitat and it was a 3 minute walk to the Jazz. A lot of apprehension before hand but saw many others taking the aerobus at the airport so we hopped on and saved a good bit of money by doing so. It´s a breeze. Thangs again to my cc friends.

Oops- sorry D&N, I just saw your question... now that you have found the hotel I am glad it all worked out easily for you as it did for us. Just in case you still have to get back to the airport from Hotel Jazz, I wanted to tell you that the stop to catch the bus will be at Plaza Catalunya, not Universitat where you got off. We pulled our luggage a few blocks on a Sunday morning. It took less than 5 minutes and the stop is right across from the big department store El Corte Ingles. It really is easy and the aerobus is a wonderful system. Hope you enjoy your stay!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this suggestion. We got cash at the airport and realized it was big bills. Then I remembered your post. We sat and had a quick snack in the airport. They didn't hesitate at all taking a €50 bill for a few pastries and drinks.

The Aerobus is a very cheap way to get into town. Fast too. There are taxis waiting to pick people up at the major bus stops where it drops people off, such as Plaza Espanya and Plaza Catalunya. Just in case you don't want to drag your luggage thru the streets to your hotel. It's cheaper than taking a taxi all the way from the airport in my opinion.

Totaly agree! We've stayed near the Universitat stop and it was very easy. We'll be staying a little further from the action this time so will likely take the aerobus to Universitat or Pl. Catalunya and then take a taxi the rest of the way.