First time Oceania cruisers would like to know....

Pipkins

I have read all the good info about the Athens Gate Hotel. We have friends who stayed there also and loved it. However our Oceania paperwork has us for our "included" pre-nite at the Athens Ledra Marriott Hotel for the night before our Marina cruise. We are considering going into Athens a few days earlier for more sightseeing. Prefer not to change Hotels twice in Athens while only there for 3 nites. Anyone have any comments good or bad about previous stays at the Ledra Marriott Hotel?

I would go back to Oceania and get my $500 for the night and stay closer to the center in a hotel of my choice which would be, the Grande Bretagne!:)

I have read all the good info about the Athens Gate Hotel. We have friends who stayed there also and loved it. However our Oceania paperwork has us for our "included" pre-nite at the Athens Ledra Marriott Hotel for the night before our Marina cruise. We are considering going into Athens a few days earlier for more sightseeing. Prefer not to change Hotels twice in Athens while only there for 3 nites. Anyone have any comments good or bad about previous stays at the Ledra Marriott Hotel?

It's a nice enough hotel but not worth $500 and not too close to the center (though they have/had a shuttle bus).

I too would take the money and book more centrally.

I would go back to Oceania and get my $500 for the night and stay closer to the center in a hotel of my choice which would be, the Grande Bretagne!:)

I think that would be everyone's choice if they could afford it!!:eek::D I just hope we can afford to have dinner and cocktails there on their rooftop! :p

I know what you mean about the dinner and drinks being expensive! We have a reservation for dinner at the Grande Bretagne and are considering bringing our first born along for payment! That menu is certainly extensive and expensive!! I think that the view may be worth it, though!!

I know what you mean about the dinner and drinks being expensive! We have a reservation for dinner at the Grande Bretagne and are considering bringing our first born along for payment! That menu is certainly extensive and expensive!! I think that the view may be worth it, though!!

It certainly is ;)

I still have people writing to thank me for recommending the Rooftop before our 2009 cruise.

hotel_grande_bretagne_02.jpg

4965_hotel_grande_bretagne_a_luxury_collection_hotel_0140686.jpg That being said, compared to hotel "view" restaurants, here in the New York Area, we found the prices at the Grand Bretagne to be fairly reasonable.

I remember that the cocktails, in particular, were about two thirds of the price that we were paying at home, and they were a very generous pour.

I may not know much, but I always know where the good drinks are :p

It certainly is ;)

I still have people writing to thank me for recommending the Rooftop before our 2009 cruise.

That being said, compared to hotel "view" restaurants, here in the New York Area, we found the prices at the Grand Bretagne to be fairly reasonable.

I remember that the cocktails, in particular, were about two thirds of the price that we were paying at home, and they were a very generous pour.

I may not know much, but I always know where the good drinks are :p

Just took a look at the Rooftop today's prices for a "set menu" - at about 75 Euros per person. Converted to U.S. dollars - about the same as one of the better restaurants in Los Angeles - a little over $100 per person.....

Just took a look at the Rooftop today's prices for a "set menu" - at about 75 Euros per person. Converted to U.S. dollars - about the same as one of the better restaurants in Los Angeles - a little over $100 per person.....

That's fair, as long as the food is also as good as "one of the better restaurants in LA" ;)

I would echo what's been said about the Grande Bretagne as we stayed there a couple of years ago for just under a week on a *wood redemption and it was frankly perfect in every way - location, amenities, service, view...

If the prices for dinner are a bit too over the top you can have drinks and nibbles for a less damaging amount. It is THE view you have to take in while there. We generally prefer not to eat in hotels but I know we were both very glad we made an exception on that trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Grand Bretange for 3 nights in 2007. It is a superb hotel. And the roof top restaurant has a beautiful view of the Acropolis. Breakfast was included in our room rate and they put on quite a spread. The Oceania's price for 3 nights through their reservation system is twice what we paid.

Restaurant prices are in Euros, and as I remember from 2007 exchange rates the breakfast buffet charge if not included in your room rate would have been about $50 a person before taxes and tip. The prices were so astounding that we decided not to eat dinner there. I remember looking at the menu and finding the price for a salad let alone your entre to be so high as to make me question the maitre d. Then add to that the transaction fee if you use a credit card and your bill will be as memorable as the meal itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Our first time with Oceania, we have booked Marina Istanbul to Athens 19th September, in penthouse grade. Our flight luggage allowance is low, so tips and advice about suite facilities would be appreciated: Will there really be the listed hairdryer; will the bathroom supplies be replenished daily; are there bathrobes AND slippers provided; will my husband really be o.k. with just one jacket?

We have previously sailed on Seabourn, Cunard (QG) and Crystal, and hope to find similar amenities.....are we on the right track please?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Answers to all your questions are yes! Bathrobes and slippers provided and replaced when soiled. Hairdryer in bathroom. Supplies in bathroom are replenished daily. One jacket enough. Many men aren't even putting on jackets any more. You'll have a great time!!

SPJOY:)

Archived