Boarding early on the Dream?

HIPrincess

Can you tell me how early you can get to the cruise terminal to board? I know they typically say one thing in the brochure but with other cruise lines you can get there and get on pretty quickly.:)

We left our hotel at 10 am in Cocoa Beach and was at the terminal around 1015. By the time we parked the car lots of folks had already gone through check in and were waiting for numbers to be called. We sat for maybe 5 minutes and the numbers started to come fast and furious.

Can you tell me how early you can get to the cruise terminal to board? I know they typically say one thing in the brochure but with other cruise lines you can get there and get on pretty quickly.:)

We arrived at the port around 11 AM and were on the ship between 11:30 and 11:45.

Doesn't anyone ever wait till the posted time to board?

If it says 1:00 than why is ok for some people to go line up at 10:30?

Many people do of course but the people here are rabid about being on board as early as possible. Carnival assumes that some will, hence lunch is being served.

Doesn't anyone ever wait till the posted time to board?

If it says 1:00 than why is ok for some people to go line up at 10:30?

I want to book the "Behind the Fun" tour, check on my dining status and steakhouse reservation. By arriving early, I can take care of this, eat lunch and then sit back with a "Kiss on the Lips".

If I didn't have to take care of these items, my normal time of arriving on any ship is close to 2 p.m. That way the cabin is ready and I can take my stuff there and then eat.

I've been looking and can't find it. So this is heresay ... but I know I read somewhere that to help alleviate the lines and overcrowding issues on embarkation day at the port they were processing people for the Dream earlier.

While I couldn't find the info I was looking for I did find the following which lists activities starting as early as 11 from a recent fun times.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/funtimes/2011-08-10/Carnival%20Dream%20Eastern%20Caribbean/1.%20Dream%20Embark.pdf

Be thankful that they start boarding ships before 1:00. It would be a mess trying to board everyone in such a short time span. I've always been on board by noon, on every ship, not just the Dream. 10:30-11:00 arrival at port is usually the goal. Carnival makes calls or sends emails, suggesting that you arrive at some crazy later time, like 1:00 or 2:00. Experienced cruisers scoff at that. I think Carnival is just trying to save money on lunch food for that day. You will have a shorter wait to get on the ship, since most people are on board by then. But you will also have to find some way to waste a couple hours between checking out of the hotel and going to the port. Carnival doesn't expect people to sit and twiddle their thumbs, waiting for 1:00 or later.

We arrived at port a little too early (9:15or so) because everyone was so anxious to get the trip started....and it took us less time to get to the port from my parent's house than I had estimated.

We didn't have to check-in with hundreds of others (I'm not a fan of lines but I don't "avoid them at all costs" either) and we were on board by 1115. It was great getting a good table and enjoying lunch on the Lido. Once lunch was done, the kid enjoyed some pool time.

I don't think I would have liked boarding at 2 or so...everything would have been kind of rushed with getting in the room, unpacking, and muster drill. Being early just seemed to make everything flow easier for us.

They will start boarding once the ship is empty and it clears customs. Last year we were on board sipping a Funship Special at 11am.:D Hopefully the same will happen this year.

Carnival makes calls or sends emails, suggesting that you arrive at some crazy later time, like 1:00 or 2:00. Experienced cruisers scoff at that. I think Carnival is just trying to save money on lunch food for that day.

Sorry, but you are very wrong. We, too, are experienced cruisers and have gotten emails/phone calls from Carnival advising that we should be at the pier at 10am. So much for your theory that Carnival is trying to save money on lunch.

Carnival does try to stagger the boarding times so there aren't long lines of people at any one time. That also allows people to have lunch and move out of the Windjammer so that others will have places to sit while enjoying lunch.

I know many disregard the suggested times and get to the pier whenever they want or in many cases whenever the shuttle service or whatever transportation they use gets them to the pier. Carnival just tries to make it easier to board, not to be cheap as you suggest.

Many people do of course but the people here are rabid about being on board as early as possible. Carnival assumes that some will, hence lunch is being served.

Why not get on as early as possible? You do realize your embarkation day is day 1 of your cruise so get the party started.

Well to tell you the truth I don't feel Carnival has any idea what they are doing. Someone probably had the idea to stagger the arrival of the guests, but they lose it in the details. I actually received a call to arrive between 3 and 4 for a 4pm sailaway. That certainly wouldn't work :eek:. I figure someone divided up the passengers into 1 to 2 hour increments and saw 4pm sailaway and didn't take into account you need to be there before 4. Like I said - they miss the details. This is just 1 of many things they do that doesn't seem to make sense. They start out with good intentions but don't think it through.

But, anyways, when I was on the Dream we were onboard having lunch before noon. Easy embarkation and equally easy debarkation. We were off the ship, took the shuttle to the Radisson, and were on the road by 8am.

Sharon

They will start boarding once the ship is empty and it clears customs. Last year we were on board sipping a Funship Special at 11am.:D

Socref124: If you were on the ship by 11 a.m. what time did you get there?

BTW: Are you from Pittsburgh? I see the Steeler's Championship ring.

Archived