Buying a rug in Kusadasi

Lady Chew

CORRECTION OF LAST SENTENCE

I don't think anyone on this thread has mentioned the question of US customs duty.

It is my impression that a handmade carpet carried home is exempt from duty, although I'm not an expert on that subject.

I have no idea what the duty status is of a carpet shipped to you by the vendor, but I should certainly inquire if I were thinking of having one of considerable value sent to me at home.

If they ship it airfreight paying a customs broker to clear it will probably

be more than the duty. (You can clear packages yourself, though)

But you're right--it's a good argument to bring it with you.

We've just returned. Part of their sales pitch is that their gov't pays for the shipping costs so they don't pay and neither do you. Supposedly keeps the price down for us and they keep making rugs to preserve their culture.

This was so easy this summer. Just sign the credit card and it is all included. They had me sign the label and it arrived at my house in about six weeks. A lovely reminder of a wonderful Mediterranean cruise.

Have a fab time in Turkey it is so beautiful.

I don't think anyone on this thread has mentioned the question of US customs duty.

It is my impression that a handmade carpet carried home is exempt from duty, although I'm not an expert on that subject.

I have no idea what the duty status is of a carpet shipped to you by the vendor, but I should certainly inquire if I were thinking of bringing one with considerable value home.

I was concerned about duty when I bought my rug in Kusadasi and had it shipped home. But I did not have to pay any so it must have been exempt.

Archived