Buying a rug in Kusadasi

Lady Chew

Mr Chew & I will be in Kusadasi Turkey for the third time in October (Prinsendam) and this time we want to purchase a rug to use as a wall hanging in our new house.

We're thinking about 4'x6' ... will HAL let us carry it back on the ship if the shop rolls it up for us?

thanks!

They may let it on the ship but getting it home yourself may not be anywhere as convenient as simply having it shipped to your home in USA. There are a few threads on the rug purchasing topic in "Other Mediterranean Ports" forum so would recommend a browse through those there. :)

Hi Lady Chew - when we did this a few years ago, a couple of people did bring rugs on board. They had no problem with HAL, BUT getting them home must have been a struggle. Most people who bought did have the stores mail them home.;)

Shipping it back home is a good option as long as you buy it from a reputable dealer. There have been posts about the rug shipped not being the one purchased. Get references on the shop you purchase at if you can.

When we were in Kusadasi 5 years ago we went to a carpet shop as part of a HAL tour. We bought a 5x7 carpet that I still adore. I was a bit nervous about trusting them to send the same carpet, so we took pictures of it. No worries, the exact same carpet did arrive in the time they promised, and as others have said at no charge. I'm glad I got it, I love it even more than the day I picked it out. :)

I did see some people carrying smaller carpets back to the ship with them, but they were smaller than 4x6.

Shipping it back home is a good option as long as you buy it from a reputable dealer. There have been posts about the rug shipped not being the one purchased. Get references on the shop you purchase at if you can.

My mother and father purchased a rug from a maker. Our private tour operator took us there when my mother said she was interested in a rug. Once they selected the rug (flipping hundres) they had my father sign the rug on the back to ensure it was the rug they had selected. I forget how they paid - most likely credit card. And the rug arrived about 4-6 weeks later.

Going to this rug place was very interesting as they brought in young women from villages and taught them to weave (is that the correct term) and after a long time (12-18 months) they go back to their village with a skill.

We purchased a 4X6 rug wall hanging there in 2007. We did not purchase it from a vendor HAL suggested. We very fortunate that one of my students at the time was from Izmir, Turkey (very near Kusadasi) and he arranged for his mother & brother to meet us at the port. We spent the day with them. They took us out for a wonderful authentic Turkish lunch and then shopping. My student's mother helped me pick out a very nice rug and then negotiated what she considered a fair price. We had no problem at all getting it back on the ship or on the plane to take home.

791101516_Day8KusadasiCarpetShop.jpg.16bb6fc2a8bdbf54563feb6d0f822c45.jpg

BTW - I don't know if HAL still offers this excursion, but, as we had been to Ephesus previously and had visited the ruins, we decided on an evening concert in small ampitheatre within the ruins with preconcert drinks and hors d'oeuvres in a candlelit area among the ruins. The entire evening was magical. It was the highlight of the entire cruise.

I bought two rugs on a prior trip to Turkey and they folded very easily and fit into my suitcase so it depends on what weight you buy. The readily available "kilm" rugs really do fold up compactly. I had not looked at prices before I left and found I had gotten no bargains once I got home, but I did have a greater selection of colors and designs buying the rugs over there.

I think I ended up learning how rug bargaining works. First comes establishing a "relationship" with cups of tea. Then after trying to sound you out about what you are looking for, they show you all sorts of ugly and inferior rugs which are easy to reject.

Then they bring out ones that are more appealing until they see your eyes light up at the contrast with the prior inferior ones. Then they move in for the kill. And if you like the rug and are happy with the price, everyone is happy, and you got your fill of free tea at the same time.

I tried a different technique when in Pakistan. I stated my price and then asked to see if they had a rug within certain limits of size, color or fabric I could fall in love with for that price. Again, did this get me a better "bargain"? I doubt it but it did change the dynamics of the bargaining relationship. A bit. Bottomline: these people are experts and never lose money and we are mere amateurs.

One aspect I have never liked with "middle eastern bazaars" whether it is for rugs or jewelry is invariably they always want to take the item to the "back room" or "workshop down the street" to wrap up the package, usually very tightly with lots of strings and knots so when it is finally handed to me I really don't know if I have gotten the exact same item I had just purchased or if a switch of some sort of similar but lesser quality was made in the "back room" or down at the "workshop".

These guys are good and knowing I am getting a souvenir and experience in the price of the item becomes part of the overall cost, no matter what I finally take home. And then find on sale at Macy's or Cost PlusWorld Market the week after I get home. :o

I bought a 4 x 6 rug last year.We were on a private tour and though none of us had any intention of buying a rug....we all did. I brought mine home with me.They folded it up and put it in a duffle bag with handles.Did I get a good deal? I have no idea,but I love looking at it and remembering my day in Turkey.That is priceless to me.:D

When I was there many years ago, they pitched the concept of folding the rug into a carry-on that you could take home with you easily. That is the only way I would make a purchase. I don't like the idea of having them send it to you even if the gov't picks up the tab. I also wonder if you will get the exact rug you picked out. I did not feel comfortable buying anything at the time.

Friends made a jewelry purchase in Ephesus after making what they thought was a very sharp bargain and later discovered that the reason the seller met their price was because he took out one of the authentic diamonds in the necklace and replaced with a CZ. Caveat Emptor.

thank you all for your responses.

Having been there twice, and visited two separate establishments, we're pretty sure we'll be able to find a rug we'd like to hang on our wall, and we're pretty sure we'd like to carry it with us. We know 4x6 is a little large for carrying back, though, which is why we asked. We may go smaller, but no less than 4x3.

This is a long cruise, and there will be lots of souvenirs ... we're planning to buy an oversize suitcase when we reach Ft. Lauderdale. Less expensive to pay the airline fee than shipping! (we think ... still looking into it!)

We'll also talk to the port/shopping guide on board.

thanks again!

I also bought a 4x6 rug in Kusadasi, but I have been buying handmade rugs for decades, so I know what to look for in a good rug. The one I chose was placed in a carrying bag, so it was easy to take it with us. I did not see what I consider outstanding rugs in Kusadasi, but the one I bought has worn well, and it was not terribly costly. Do your homework before buying and have fun choosing an attractive rug.

I bought a 4 x 6 rug last year.We were on a private tour and though none of us had any intention of buying a rug....we all did. I brought mine home with me.They folded it up and put it in a duffle bag with handles.Did I get a good deal? I have no idea,but I love looking at it and remembering my day in Turkey.That is priceless to me.:D

What a day that was, Sara. I'm pretty sure I didn't get a good deal on mine, but like you said, the memories are worth every penny. Since Paul was under the weather that day, I say we need to go again for him to have the experience. :D

What a day that was, Sara. I'm pretty sure I didn't get a good deal on mine, but like you said, the memories are worth every penny. Since Paul was under the weather that day, I say we need to go again for him to have the experience. :D

Ah Becky we did have a grand day and cruise.:D:D:D I would love to go again with you and Tommy .I just know we will sail again together.:)

hey becky and sara don't forget us ... we would love to hang out with you guys again - jen and ed

Let's go, Jen! We're gonna get you away from that table-for-two setup next time so you can share your fun selves with us! :-)

Been reading about your preparations for Hurricane Irene. Stay safe.

hey becky and sara don't forget us ... we would love to hang out with you guys again - jen and ed

We would love to cruise with you again too.Maybe a reunion cruise for all the M&G folks.:D Just a year ago we were full of excitement for our grand adventure.Such fond memories.Have you been on any other cruises? Any planned? Hope you won't be in the path of Irene.

I don't think anyone on this thread has mentioned the question of US customs duty.

It is my impression that a handmade carpet carried home is exempt from duty, although I'm not an expert on that subject.

I have no idea what the duty status is of a carpet shipped to you by the vendor, but I should certainly inquire if I were thinking of bringing one with considerable value home.

CORRECTION OF LAST SENTENCE

I don't think anyone on this thread has mentioned the question of US customs duty.

It is my impression that a handmade carpet carried home is exempt from duty, although I'm not an expert on that subject.

I have no idea what the duty status is of a carpet shipped to you by the vendor, but I should certainly inquire if I were thinking of having one of considerable value sent to me at home.

We purchased a rug in Kusadasi in 2008. I have no idea if I got a good deal, but i love the rug and every time I look at it I think of the wonderful Med cruise. We wrote our name on the back of it and had it shipped home. As I recall it was exempt from customs duty (although the rules may have changed in the past 3 years). The rug arrived about 6 weeks after we purchased it. Have fun shopping!

We bought a large (gorgeous!) rug in Kusadasi, and had it shipped home. They had us put our initials on the back of the rug, so we knew we were getting the exact one we saw in the store. It was a scary wait, but well worth it. It arrived fairly quickly, and was in perfect shape and nicely packaged. We get so many compliments on this beautiful rug and we have so many fun stories that go with it, and I am glad we bought it. But I HIGHLY recommend shipping the thing home and not trying to go through customs and security with the thing. What a hassle. We saw people struggling that way, and it wasn't pretty.

I have no idea what the duty status is of a carpet shipped to you by the vendor, but I should certainly inquire if I were thinking of bringing one with considerable value home.

Depends on what mood the customs inspectors are in--if they consider it

a piece of (contemporary) art its exempt, if they see it as a commercial

carpet its dutiable. I've always had the good fortune to find them in a

good mood, but even if its dutiable, the extra percentage won't affect

the calculation much. The airline may or may not be cranky (I carried

a huge rug home from Ecuador with no problem and two weeks later

they tried to charge me 50 dollars for ONE pound of overweight on

a domestic flight(I took out a sweater and put it on...). )But the same

thought applies--if the rug is worth it to you the extra cost or hassle

won't matter

Archived