Dress Code and Video

electra2008

We were recently on the Quest for 7 nights Athens to Venice. On our cruise they had one formal optional night and the men had a tie on. Two additional nights a jacket ( no tie ) was required if you wanted to eat in the main dining room.

In general it was more relaxed than we thought, however everyone was nicely dressed and you did not see jeans in the evening.

A few years ago the brochures and videos would have shown men in tuxedoes and women in long dresses. Now they are going for a younger demographic which does not like to dress formally, hence the relaxation in the dress code.

Thanks, this is what I thought it must be. We have just been on another line and it was the same nicely, dressed, but not formal unless one choses to eat in the more formal dining room. Hope you had a good cruise.

Yes cruise was great we enjoyed it very much. In fact we enjoyed it so much we have booked with two friends who will travel with us on the Quest in Oct. ;)

Hope you enjoy your experience as well

• 3 weeks later...

We are about to do our first Seabourn cruise, so nothing approaching an expert! However, the brochures, website and pre-sailing documents etc clearly state that 'resort casual' (essentially trousers, collared shirt and jacket) are 'always appropriate' but on a 7-nighter there is one 'formal optional' night, where, I believe, a tie is expected (but not absolutely compulsory) My plan is for DH to take (my plan as he has absolutely NO interest in clothes!) is to take he new smart jacket (dragged out to the shops for 30 mins maximum last week!) plus smart casual shirts for most nights, and one white shirt and nice tie for the 'formal optional' night - and he's happy with that, and I get to wear something a bit smarter without being a complete mismatch!

Hopefully someone here will reassure me that this is a reasonable plan - as we leave home in 3/7 to start travelling!

As to the brochure models pictures, I was aboard the Pride New England "Food & Wine" cruise a couple of years ago ~ during the cruise a photography team was taking pictures for a new Seabourn brochure. Many photos the models were dressed in formal wear ~ladies in long flowing gowns, gentlemen were wearing tux and white dinner jackets. I couldn't help but compare these paid models and the Pride guests ~Yep, you guessed it! The passengers FAR outdressed the models!:D

Martita B.

Crafty EC - Your husband will be fine (mine is similarly not keen on dressing up!) but ideally the jacket and trousers should be fairly discreet in colour - i.e. darkish - and you will find more of the men are in DJ or dark suit, but by no means all. He should certainly wear a tie for the 'formal optionals', jacket without tie for what they call elegantly casual, and smart 'casual' shirt (perferably not a polo shirt) for casual.

My DH has a DJ, but is not willing to pack it and all the etceteras for just one formal evening.

There seems to be a difference between short, port intensive, cruises, and those with lots of sea days, particularly trans-atlantics, when ideally DJs should be worn.

Thanks, Lincslady. DH also has a DJ, but is similarly unwilling to use up half the suitcase with something for one night. Actually often a DJ is the easiest, as it saves having to think about and make a decision on what to wear!

For our TAs (out and back on Cunard) DH and even DS, who was 16 at the time, packed their DJs, it was worth it for four nights, but not for one.

His new smart jacket is dark navy blue, and will work with black or navy trousers, he will look OK in it. He's worn a suit (or at least a sports jacket and tie) at work for the past 30 plus years and has just retired, so he's not super-keen on climbing back into one for a bit!

Archived