Advice on mobility issues?

tkane10

My mother is not physically handicapped, however, she does have some health issues that make it hard for her to do a lot of walking around. We're taking a cruise to Freeport, Nassau, and Key West. Freeport isn't an issue as we are doing an excursion, but we want to get off the boat in the other two ports to just explore. As this is her first cruise, I don't want to risk having her walk around so much that she gets in a lot of pain. I was thinking about renting a wheelchair or something of the sort in Nassau and Key West but I have no idea how this would work. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this, or should I just see if I can get a wheelchair and bring it on board with us when we embark? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

tkane10

My wife has the same problem, find a store in your home town that rents wheelchairs, we did this two years ago and it worked great. We also went to the ports you mentioned and had no problem getting around. You will need to contact Carnivals Special Needs Department and fill out a form to let them know you will have a wheelchair. They will have a crew member meet you at the pier and get you on board so you don't have to wait in line to long. After we got back from our cruise I went out and bought a wheelchair, and every cruise we use it. Have a Great Cruise

For a $50 deposit the ship has some wheelchairs that sometimes you can use, but Id bring one if you think you really want one. They are not crazy about your taking their wheel chairs off the ship.

You can buy one here at the drug stores for about $99, I wouldnt fool with trying to find a store to rent them from.

Nassau isnt going to be easy with a wheelchair either.

Key West you might think about either the hop on hop off bus, or the conch train.

If she doesn't need a wheelchair, don't overlook those wheeled walkers with the built-in seat. You can get one at Sam's Club for about $100. They can fold up so you can do the hop-on, hop-off trolley in Key West (love Key West AND the trolley!), but if you're walking and she gets tired, she can just flip the seat down and sit for a bit. I have some walking issues - I look fine, but my back is shot from 20 years of lifting stretchers, so I use a seat cane. It's a nifty thing, but you need good balance to get on and off the seat. Since I have trouble walking for long periods, I'll usually do the Island Tour excursions. This way, I can see a good part of the area while seated in a bus, but still get out when they stop at the highlighted places to take pictures and poke around.

BTW, when you're considering this, don't forget to find out what your mom's comfortable with. My mother (who passed her back on to me :rolleyes:) absolutely refused to use a walker or wheelchair, so didn't go out. I will use a cane because I want to travel, but won't ask for special assistance. (so she passed her stubbornness on to me, too! :D )

We just got off the Destiny two weeks ago. DH who has MS brought his walker with the seat on it (which folds up). He was placed in a wheelchair at the airport by airport attendants and taken through security. When we arrived at the pier in Miami, cruise attendants placed him in their wheelchair and did the same and wheeled him to the cabin. The walker came in handy onboard and the trick is to learn how to navigate around the ship as you will be using elevators to get here and there. We used the walker to get off the ship...no problem. But the problems may arise when you are off at the ports as there may not be vehicles (even taxis) that may not accommodate a walker or wheelchair that folds up. In Nassau, the pier is very very long. There is a courtesy shuttle to get you down the pier, but we didn't see it running in the A.M. and no one knew when it would start running either, so we decided to walk the pier...very difficult for DH. We left the walker on the ship because we were headed to the Atlantis where DH rented a mobility scooter. Anyhow, when you get to the taxi's (again, a long walk to get to), they cram many people in one of them and there would be no room in them for walker or wheelchair (at least not in ours).

Also, the crew is very accommodating for those who have mobility issues and they will assist in self serve areas. On the first night, they sent us a letter and pamphlet advising to contact guest services if we needed anything. They also assisted DH in a wheelchair when we disembarked as well.

You can use vacation care and rent a chair for the week. It will be in the cabin when you board and you drop it off to the guest services when you leave.

Do not depend on a cruise line chair. For one they are not allowed to be taken off in theports.

Also, consider the size of the ship. Lots of walking

Walgreens has them for $99 bucks. I just bought one for my Mom after her recent knee replcm. It was the best $99 ever spent. She is 81 years old and will be sure to use it again. Invest the $$ and then you will always have it if needed. Besides, it will be hers so you know it will be clean and it good working order. :)

Keep you eyes out for the Sunday Walgreen's flyer. Sometimes they go on sale or have a coupon that you can use to get a few dollars off. They have two models, a transport which does not have foot rests and a regular wheelchair with removable foot rests; be sure to select the one that you think will meet her needs the best.

You can use vacation care and rent a chair for the week. It will be in the cabin when you board and you drop it off to the guest services when you leave.

Do not depend on a cruise line chair. For one they are not allowed to be taken off in theports.

Also, consider the size of the ship. Lots of walking

The correct name of the Company is CareVacations not vacation care. here's the link http://www.carevacations.com/

Also any rental provider that is to deliver directly to the ship must be a pre-approved provider to that cruise line. Before renting from an outside copmany check with the Cruise line first as to what company is their preferred provider.

If she doesn't need a wheelchair, don't overlook those wheeled walkers with the built-in seat. You can get one at Sam's Club for about $100. They can fold up so you can do the hop-on, hop-off trolley in Key West (love Key West AND the trolley!), but if you're walking and she gets tired, she can just flip the seat down and sit for a bit. I have some walking issues - I look fine, but my back is shot from 20 years of lifting stretchers, so I use a seat cane. It's a nifty thing, but you need good balance to get on and off the seat. Since I have trouble walking for long periods, I'll usually do the Island Tour excursions. This way, I can see a good part of the area while seated in a bus, but still get out when they stop at the highlighted places to take pictures and poke around.

BTW, when you're considering this, don't forget to find out what your mom's comfortable with. My mother (who passed her back on to me :rolleyes:) absolutely refused to use a walker or wheelchair, so didn't go out. I will use a cane because I want to travel, but won't ask for special assistance. (so she passed her stubbornness on to me, too! :D )

Hi...I've never heard of a 'seat cane' but sure sounds like something I would be interested in. Do you have any pics of this that you can post? I suffer with back issues also and walking can be somewhat challenging for me also!

Thanks.:)

Hi...I've never heard of a 'seat cane' but sure sounds like something I would be interested in. Do you have any pics of this that you can post? I suffer with back issues also and walking can be somewhat challenging for me also!

Thanks.:)

just google 'seat cane.' you'll see lots of different types.

Here's one:

thumbnail.aspx?q=1076745210585&id=b4e98e98abd925e67f82278ca9786702&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.thesavvytraveller.com%2fagraphics%2ftools%2falex%2fcane_seat%2fcane_seat.jpg

Thanks BeccBecca1713!!! That is so cool! Who knew...this looks perfect for my needs!!! I'm excited and will check out all models on line. Now I won't be so worried about getting around or holding up everyone while I stretch my back:o.

Thanks a bunch!:):)

The correct name of the Company is CareVacations not vacation care. here's the link http://www.carevacations.com/

Also any rental provider that is to deliver directly to the ship must be a pre-approved provider to that cruise line. Before renting from an outside copmany check with the Cruise line first as to what company is their preferred provider.

carevacation is approved- this is the company we have used for when my mom cruised.

@roscoegirl: Those canes are really handy - and do an internet search so you can get a good price - but when you sit, the handle is in the front, and there are only 3 legs, so they can be a little tipsy when you get up... They are, however, pretty light, fairly easy to fold & unfold (the seat collapses flat) and mine holds up to 250 lbs. Love mine! It's so easy to find a little corner and just sit for a few minutes!

This is a transport chair and will not work or ride well outside. It is primarily made for smooth floors. For about 20-30 dollars you can get a real wheel chair which will push and ride much easier.

My mother is not physically handicapped, however, she does have some health issues that make it hard for her to do a lot of walking around. We're taking a cruise to Freeport, Nassau, and Key West. Freeport isn't an issue as we are doing an excursion, but we want to get off the boat in the other two ports to just explore. As this is her first cruise, I don't want to risk having her walk around so much that she gets in a lot of pain. I was thinking about renting a wheelchair or something of the sort in Nassau and Key West but I have no idea how this would work. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this, or should I just see if I can get a wheelchair and bring it on board with us when we embark? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are cruising with Carnival this Saturday and are in the same situation. Learned from their website that they use two companies. Care Vacations and Special Needs at Sea. We contacted both companies and their prices, equipment, and services are the same. We are using Care Vacations. We opted for a walker/rollator instead of a wheelchair but they are both $75. It will be brought to our room and picked up from there. When we arrive, we will utilize Carnival's wheelchair to get her on board. Our rollator is scheduled to be in the room by 2:00 p.m.

Don't get a transport chair. They are not intended for outdoor use and hard to push. I wouldn't use a Carnival wheelchair. They are old, heavy, bulky and usually are in disrepair. I would rent one from home or buy one if you can find a good deal. I think a collapsible wheelchair will be the best. That way it will fit in a regular cabin. There are very few handicapped cabins and even fewer modified cabins and they are in high demand.

We use a transport chair all the time for my son who is disabled. HOWEVER, it is not like the ones pictured in previous posts. Those will only work on smooth surfaces as others have said. We have one made by duramed, which has larger 12 inch wheels on the back and stroller type wheels in the front. they are much smoother to ride in and go over rough surfaces better. You need to look at one that has the stroller type wheels in front and back. They fold up nicely and don't take up much space in a cabin. We put ours between the end of the bed and the wall on the Triumph and still had plenty of room to walk around the bed when it was folded and stored. Honestly, for just a few dollars more than renting something, you can purchase your own.

@roscoegirl: Those canes are really handy - and do an internet search so you can get a good price - but when you sit, the handle is in the front, and there are only 3 legs, so they can be a little tipsy when you get up... They are, however, pretty light, fairly easy to fold & unfold (the seat collapses flat) and mine holds up to 250 lbs. Love mine! It's so easy to find a little corner and just sit for a few minutes!

Thank you very much, cooncat mom!!! I will be looking into these devices for my cruises next year...great advice!!:):) BTW: I'd better check the scale and keep my weight down...don't want to end up on the floor..LOL!!

They are nice! This will give you some idea of what's around -

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Seat_Cane.html

...but you may find better prices on them if you look around on the internet. I check carefully for how many pounds they can hold :o I like 250 and above, and really you'd be surprised at how many canes won't support that much weight! The other thing I check is how much the cane weighs, since I don't want to be carrying 3 lbs or more around. I like the looks of that 4 legged one with the seat since my nifty 3 legged one has been interesting to get off of when I don't make sure I'm on level ground!

TOTALLY understand the weight thing! I keep trying and the scale keeps laughing. *sigh* :rolleyes:

Archived