Serenade early departure 8/21 - what I heard and saw.

No. They had not checked in so they never made to the gangway. They walked into the cruiseport and found they could not checkin since the manifest was already complete and the ship was in the process of departing.

My husband actually overheard one angry woman complaining about how the airport was not helpful in retrieving their luggage. They knew the ship was leaving early. We wondered why should had to keep complaining since she was one of the lucky ones to bs permitted to carry her luggage up the ramp.

The announcement about early departure was first made at 11 am to the crew by Capt. Karin. She told crew to be back on board by no later than 1pm. I checked the RCI website and never saw an important update at the bottom of the screen as there is right now.

I heard there were plenty of people who booked air with RCI and they were taken care of. The people I spoke with who booked on their own are letting their travel agent deal with RCI. I have no idea how it will be resolved if air was booked separately. I do know that this couple was already offered 30% off a future cruise for a start at their compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From this it seems to me that people were notified of the ship leaving early (and they were flying in the day of the cruise:eek:) and also people were being compensated. I hope we hear from more people with first hand experience.

Why not? He answered your question. It wasn't a matter if it was justified in Royal Caribbean leaving early. The port was closing and ships were ordered out. :rolleyes:

I read what the port authority did as well as the USCG. But none of us, on CC, was there in the middle of the weather.

So my Question was to the OP not anyone elses second hand info.

My Question was directly about the weather. She has been on alot of cruises and probably has encountered inclement weather before.

I know what was ordered but I asked her opinion if it was justified.

I don't think anyone is faulting RCI for complying with the orders of the authorities. The issues are the lack of any attempt to notify the passengers that early departure was a possibility [which I think RCI knew at least by Saturday] and how RCI dealt with the stranded passengers after the fact. The cruise line says it complied with its contract for the stranded passenger -- if it were me, I might have tried to do more, but I will give them a pass on that. The failure to even try to notify passengers of the possibility of early departure with a lot of time to do so, is to me inexcusable.

I don't believe anyone, including the cruise lines, knew we might leave early until Sunday morning.

Just as the airlines and pilot flying the jet from Houston with cruise passengers didn't know the SJU airport would shut down until they were in midair causing them to have to turn back.

I don't believe anyone, including the cruise lines, knew we might leave early until Sunday morning. . . .

The Coast Guard issued a press release on Saturday:

http://www.d7publicaffairs.com/go/doc/586/1174135/Captain-of-the-Port-sets-Port-Condition-X-RAY-for-St-Croix-U-S-Virgin-Islands-Port-Condition-Whiskey-for-southern-Puerto-Rico

This release announced the USVI ports were set to condition Yankee and ports in southern Puerto Rico were set to condition Whiskey. While not imposing specific restrictions for the north of Puerto Rico, including the port of San Juan, the release included a "Warning" that contained the following general guidance applicable to everyone in the area:

Ports, facilities and operators should anticipate additional restrictions on inbound and outbound traffic as Tropical Storm Irene approaches. . . .

Future port conditions cannot be predicted with any degree of certainty, but provided the storm remains on the projected course and track, port stakeholders can expect the established progression of port conditions.

I believe this would have alerted those anywhere in the path of the storm [Puerto Rico was clearly in the path by that time] that schedule disruptions would be a good possibility. If you look at the escalating conditions [Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu] as the condition level increases the guidance for ocean going vessels is to get ready and then get out of the port. This is why I am pretty confident that RCI knew Saturday that early departure was a good possibility if not likely. As an experienced operator in the Caribbean, RCI should probably know what to expect even without being told.

Even if this announcement did not alert them to the possibility, you said that announcements were being made on the ship as early as 11:00 a.m. Sunday to anticipate a possible early departure. That is still a lot of time to try to alert incoming passengers to get a move on. As I said before, my main criticism of RCI is based on the statement by the company spokesperson [which the company has never retracted or denied] that they didn't even try.

Geez! Same repsonses in this post over and over and over as well as the same from the thread that was locked! One person here that was on the ship. Why don't everybody breathe and relax and wait till there are people who was left behind start telling their stories! If I stopped doing something or using a provider based off of bad Customer Service experiences that had nothing to do with me, I wouldn't have services with anybody (Cell Phones, Cable etc.) Heck when Carnival does something deemed bad what will you do run to NCL? When NCL does something then what...run to Celebrity? When Celebrity.......................

Geez! Same repsonses in this post over and over and over as well as the same from the thread that was locked! One person here that was on the ship. Why don't everybody breathe and relax and wait till there are people who was left behind start telling their stories! If I stopped doing something or using a provider based off of bad Customer Service experiences that had nothing to do with me, I wouldn't have services with anybody (Cell Phones, Cable etc.) Heck when Carnival does something deemed bad what will you do run to NCL? When NCL does something then what...run to Celebrity? When Celebrity.......................

Everything you said in this post has also been said before. So your point is......?

Everything you said in this post has also been said before. So your point is......?

He has no point...

After reading all that has been said since I posted in the last thread, I still stand by everything I said and I am terribly disapointed in how RCI dealt with this whole situation.

What are the chances that any of the 165 passengers left behind are on CC? Probably not very high.

I'm hoping some are on CC, possibly some are still without internet caused by the hurricane. It would be great to hear what happened first hand, instead of listening to all the ranting broken records.

Just one more example of how corporate RCI and the RCI cruise experience are like night and day.

I am counting on that. And while the thread praised the Captain, that is irrelevant to those who missed the cruise.

After reading all that has been said since I posted in the last thread, I still stand by everything I said and I am terribly disapointed in how RCI dealt with this whole situation.

Yup

What are the chances that any of the 165 passengers left behind are on CC? Probably not very high.

Quite.

And while there is comment that we shouldnt listen to the sole rep from RCI explaining the situation, if she is the only Rep that RCI has used, then that is all we can go on.

It wont change me going on RCI and as experienced cruisers have stated, the service onboard is excellent, it certainly makes me 'aware' in advance of how problems may be dealt with. But I dont plan on having any.....:o

I don't believe anyone, including the cruise lines, knew we might leave early until Sunday morning.

Just as the airlines and pilot flying the jet from Houston with cruise passengers didn't know the SJU airport would shut down until they were in midair causing them to have to turn back.

If RCI's response was to assume that they couldn't get in touch with anybody and it therefore wasn't even worth trying, then shame on them. Maybe they would only have reached a handful who could change their plans, but to simply say, "nah, why bother" is inexcusable. And then to lock up and leave, when Carnival apparently did not (so they can't play the safety card there), in essence abandoning their passengers who did nothing wrong, just makes a bad situation that much worse.

As another poster said, it won't change my cruiseline of choice, but it's been reinforced that my love is unrequited by the corporate beast.

http://www.hickeylawfirm.com/blog/welcome-to-hickey-law-firms-blog/hurrican-irene-causes-over-100-cruise-passengers-to-be-stranded/

Uh oh...

At any rate, I have to believe the affected parties are being compensated and we probably will not hear much more from this.

Wow I've heard of ambulance chasers but cruise ship chasers......:eek:

This was the second leg of our B2B. We were at the gangway watching the last people allowed on as they wheeled their own luggage on board.

The person in authority who will remain nameless told us the manifest had been submitted and 8 people walked up immediately after that occurred. They had to be denied entry and of course they were upset.

The line had to be drawn somewhere because the ship was prepared to leave. They can not keep changing the manifest.

One couple told us that their flight from Houston to SJU was midair when the pilot was informed that SJU was shutdown. They were returned to Houston. They caught up with the ship in Aruba as did anyone else who chose to continue with the cruise.

I would imagine that the majority of the people who missed both the Splendor and the Victory were in the air when the airport was closed to incoming flights due to deteriorating conditions and were not left at the pier watching the ships sail away.

We were on this sailing and stayed in San Juan for two days. We had no idea we were leaving early until the cab driver told us on the way to the port (we arrived in port at noon-ish). We were actually happy to be leaving early, as we were afraid the ship wouldn't sail if conditions got too bad.

It is unfortunate but I do have to say, I'm disheartened that RCCL would leave these pax literally stranded. I understand the port was to close early, but that gives the line no excuse to wipe their hands clean of the situation. These are passengers who paid to take a cruise, and arrived within appropriate boarding time. No excuse, whatsoever on RCCL's end.

We were on this sailing and stayed in San Juan for two days. We had no idea we were leaving early until the cab driver told us on the way to the port (we arrived in port at noon-ish).

It is unfortunate but I do have to say, I'm disheartened that RCCL would leave these pax literally stranded. I understand the port was to close early, but that gives the line no excuse to wipe their hands clean of the situation. These are passengers who paid to take a cruise.

That's interesting to read because a lot of people here have blamed the fact that people were on planes and left it to the last minute to arrive in the embarkation port. Your post kinda kills that theory. I agree, people fulfilled their part of the contract but missed the cruise. not RCL's fault they had to leave early, but it is their responsibility to at least deal appropriately with those who got to the port to see the ship had left. Cant imagine how bad that must have been.

That's interesting to read because a lot of people here have blamed the fact that people were on planes and left it to the last minute to arrive in the embarkation port. Your post kinda kills that theory. I agree, people fulfilled their part of the contract but missed the cruise. not RCL's fault they had to leave early, but it is their responsibility to at least deal appropriately with those who got to the port to see the ship had left. Cant imagine how bad that must have been.

I would not have been happy, but if RCCL put us up in a hotel and/or flew us to Aruba, I would have chalked it up to poor weather and a minor inconvenience. That said, I'm shocked they left pax there stranded with a hurricane rolling in. Conditions were deteriorating quickly at the port (we saw/heard a tree fall just under the fort as we were sailing out). I do feel for the folks who had to pay for a hotel/flight through no fault of their own.

Just a side note, it was interesting as we saw people getting on late in Aruba, and people departing early in St. Thomas due to the hurricane in NY/NJ/CT. Very interesting, but fantastic, vacation indeed.

I do wonder about the leaving the passengers with only hotel suggestions. It's not like the line was abandoning them on a sunny day where folks had plenty of time. They left them with a hurricane lurking. I wonder if they have liability as at that time those folks should have had shelter on the ship.

I'm confused as to why if RC did contact people about the change in schedule and were offering 30% off on a future cruise for those that missed that ship as Mommabean states that they have not issued a statement to that effect. There is an article called Hurricane Irene's Heroes and Zeros that was posted yesterday in the Cruise Critic Blog section that says RC has remained mum about the San Juan incident despite several requests for information from Cruise Critic. I realize that if what Mommabean says is true then RC didn't make the grand gesture that Carnival did for its passengers, but it's better than them doing nothing, which is what the general public thinks right now based on their own spokeswoman's comments.

I'm confused as to why if RC did contact people about the change in schedule and were offering 30% off on a future cruise for those that missed that ship as Mommabean states that they have not issued a statement to that effect. There is an article called Hurricane Irene's Heroes and Zeros that was posted yesterday in the Cruise Critic Blog section that says RC has remained mum about the San Juan incident despite several requests for information from Cruise Critic. I realize that if what Mommabean says is true then RC didn't make the grand gesture that Carnival did for its passengers, but it's better than them doing nothing, which is what the general public thinks right now based on their own spokeswoman's comments.

The 30% offer is what I was told by one couple only. This was their 1st RCI cruise. Their cruise line of choice is Princess. They said they may not be able to take advantage of the 30% offer since they don't even know if they will cruise RCI within the year. But they did say they liked the RCI experience in spite of the weather related issue which they seemed to understand. In fact, they aren't even dealing with it or worrying about it. They are leaving it up to their travel agent. They also have the issue with the airline since RCI has nothing to do with their flight turning back. They didn't stick around to find out the airline policy of rebooking their flight. They just rebooked immediately upon return to Houston and got to Aruba as quickly as possible.

I have no idea what was offered to anyone else. I only know that those who booked air with RCI were handled by RCI in getting to Aruba.

I personally would have preferred to have a prorated cruise refund and to have the difference in airfare paid along with a reasonable standard hotel paid for the 2 nights required. I have no idea if any of this was done. I don't think anyone knows it wasn't done either. But usually many people get greedy and want unreasonable compensation.

I've never bought trip insurance. This has me rethinking our booking policy of being self insured.

Gina

Archived