Are there tour guides waiting at the ports - Nafpilion & Katakolon

CarolRoy

Will be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Tapestry sailing Oct. 3, 2011. My thread for this cruise is really non-existent. Not much happening on it. There is no interest in any independent tours for Nafpilion and Katakolon.

Will there be tour guides at the port (like in the Caribbean) waiting for cruisers.

Or if you know of any DIY for these ports, please let me know.

2011 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL – Oct. – Mediterranean

2011- Carnival Miracle – May – Eastern Caribbean

2010 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL - Dec.- W. Caribbean

2010 – Celebrity Summit – Sept. - Bermuda

2010 – Serenade of the Seas - March - S. Caribbean

2009 – Crown Princess – W. Caribbean

2009 – Golden Princess - Alaska - Inside Passage

2009 – Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit

2008 – Caribbean Princess - New Eng. & Canada

2008 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2007 – Explorer of the Seas - W. Caribbean

2006 – Golden Princess - S. Caribbean

2004 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2002 – Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2002 – Dawn Princess - S. Caribbean

2000 – Carnival Inspiration - S. Caribbean

1999 – Carnival Paradise - W. Caribbean

1996 – Majesty (private) - Key West

1989 – Sovereign of the Seas - E. Caribbean

There are not really "tour guides" waiting at most Med ports, including these. What you will find are taxi drivers that are willing to take you for a set amount of time to see certain sites in the area. However, there usually are only a set number of these, so if you are counting on this for sightseeing, it's best to get off the ship early and find one.

For Katakolon, there are other options. Unfortunately search is down at the moment, but if you skim the first few pages of posts here, you'll undoubtedly find information on getting to Olympia (the main sightseeing draw) from the port at Katakolon. One option is the local train that can be boarded not far from port and goes direct to Katakolon. Unfortunately, the trains only make a few trips daily and your timing may not make it a reasonable option.

Several people have posted recently about a bus that can be taken to Olympia and back for a very reasonable price.

And some people have posted about arranging for a rental car and driving to Olympia along what sounds like a pretty straightforward route.

As for Nauplion, I've not docked there (just visited it), so I can't say for sure, but I'd guess the information about the taxi drivers is probably accurate here as well. Some of the frequently recommended taxi driver/guides used from Piraeus will also arrange to pick you up and give you a tour from Nauplion. Arranging a taxi on your own may be a bit cheaper but probably not significantly cheaper (not like the Caribbean).

Will be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Tapestry sailing Oct. 3, 2011. My thread for this cruise is really non-existent. Not much happening on it. There is no interest in any independent tours for Nafpilion and Katakolon.

Will there be tour guides at the port (like in the Caribbean) waiting for cruisers.

Or if you know of any DIY for these ports, please let me know.

We were in Katakolon / Olympia last month. We had a wonderful tour with George Letsios.

Here is a link to his website:

http://www.taxikatakolon.com/index.php

George has a beautiful, full size Mercedes, he is prompt, professional and passionate about his country. I can give him my highest recommendation.

If you contact him, tell him Bobbie sent you!

I would go to Olympia either by train (if you have sufficient time in port) or private taxi or do a ship's tour to there. We actually did the ship's tour, and I liked it a lot. They gave us a lot of free time at the end to wander around in the town and shop, but we had a good guide for the ruins. It also included entrance to the archeological museum there.

In Naphlion, we rented a rental car and just all over. It was quite fun. The car rental places are right where the tender lets you off. You also could walk up to the fortress and explore the town (it is very nice) on your own. That was our original plan, but it turned out it was election day. So all the government offices (including the ruins and fortress) were closed. Turned out driving around was probably better. I bought some nice potttery, and we had a great Greek lunch.

Archived