The Inmates Are Running the Asylum...JH Chairhogs Comment

TexasRon

Not sure why this is such a issue.. Carnival has never done anything about people saving chairs, cept running those stupid messages.

they never did anything about it , they did not enforce it . if proded they staff stil would not do anything about it. They probaly had to remove the message as it would prove that they were not doing what they stated they would do.. opening up some liabilty on thier end.

one can see its not high on CCL's list to do..

I have not seen the problem on celebrity (nor do I recall seeing anyone patroling) but Carnival is not celebrity, its a budget line ( btw the i like it )

I also have to say that while i have seen people saving chairs on ccl it was a small percentage . I have never had a problem getting a chair near the bar /pool area ( im up early- before 830 or so) .

of course this can be fixed.. they can hire more people to patrol and time stamp.. what would that do for cost? would you be willing to pay more??

or more imortantly would CCL's targeted customer be willing to pay more??

In the meantime people will grow internet muscles , bring skunk water, stuffed pigs and what have you.

CCL knows its targeted customer and will continue to do whats right for them.

Not sure why this is such a issue.. Carnival has never done anything about people saving chairs, cept running those stupid messages.

they never did anything about it , they did not enforce it . if proded they staff stil would not do anything about it. They probaly had to remove the message as it would prove that they were not doing what they stated they would do.. opening up some liabilty on thier end. one can see its not high on CCL's list to do...

I understand that it has not been on CCL's list of things to fix...but the blog contained this comment, too...

"These past two cruises we have had 4,500 plus guests on board including many families and for the first time this European season, we have had multiple sea days. And with stunning Mediterranean weather, suffice to say we have had some issues with deck chair saving. There is good news though and that is the pilot system we have started here on our adult only Serenity deck and I can tell you that it works absolutely perfectly. We haven’t re-invented the wheel here. What we are doing is simply enforcing the 30-minute rule wherein if any chair is left for more than 30 minutes, the item is removed by the deck stewards and kept safely until the guests return.

It looks like this system for the Serenity area is working because we have signs there plus it is well advertised in the Capers and …..bugger……..the Fun Times and guests understand and comply. Honestly, we don’t have a problem there and have received no complaints at all. The system works."

So they've found a way to fix the issue...they just don't think it is even worth trying to expand this to the main decks. I'm sorry, I believe that is wrong...why not at least try the immediate pool areas and see if it helps as it did in the Serenity area.

I think it can be done but it would require a little bit of effort. let me explain, not long I received a ticket for parking in a 30min parking zone for too long. I was kinda of amazed at how they could of known I was there for more than 30 mins until I saw the little ticket issuing lady putting different colored chalk marks on each parked cars tire. She made her rounds every thirty minutes if you had the right color in the right spot you got a ticket for being parked for longer than 30 mins. I thought what a simple solution, I figure you can do something quite the same way with the loungers.

So if EVERYBODY starts smuggling booze problem solved, they will just let you because it can't be stopped!

triple like!

exactly!

imagine the police saying they were no longer ticketing people in a handicap zone because they couldn't keep up with them.

and then actually let you know they can't keep up with it.

wonder what else they are going to let out of the big bag.

Celebrity (at least on the one X cruise I was on) is the same...

Does anyone know if RCI has the ''pool police' on their mega-ships such as Oasis?? Does size really matter in this case?

I would be quick to say that John's excuse wasn't good enough, however, that is a near-sighted response. I'm not really sure how the larger ships on the other lines handle chair hogs and would love if someone that knew first hand would post...

Maybe I'll just go ask over on their boards.

Question posted....we'll see the responses I get.

When I was on Oasis last year they had them. I didn't have a problem getting a chair on two of the sea days. We will see how it is on Allure when I go in October.

Fixing the problem is easy. They just do not want to upset some paying customers by doing it.

I completely agree with this. I really think Carnival lets a lot of things slide these days to avoid conflict. I remember when they shut the MDR doors after a certain time. That stopped a couple years ago. I could go on and on but we have heard it all before.

When I was on Oasis last year they had them. I didn't have a problem getting a chair on two of the sea days. We will see how it is on Allure when I go in October.

I completely agree with this. I really think Carnival lets a lot of things slide these days to avoid conflict. I remember when they shut the MDR doors after a certain time. That stopped a couple years ago. I could go on and on but we have heard it all before.

Well, the responses on the RCI boards are mixed...so that isn't good.

Well, the responses on the RCI boards are mixed...so that isn't good.

I sat up on the upper decks on Navigator and Liberty of the Seas when I was on them and saw a lot of hogging going on up there. When I was on the Magic in June it was pretty bad as well. There are not near enough chairs for the amount of people. I never even went to the aft pool on all 12 days. I walked by a few times and it was a zoo. Serenity was always full as well. I am a Lido Deck person and love to lay out, etc however my partner is not. It is a little easier for me to find a chair since I go out there solo.

Why can't the towel desk attendent periodically go around and pick up at least the towels (if there is no other stuff) for the laundry. That would free up a few chairs where people have gone. As far as chairs with books and beach bages etc well that is another problem. But there are always chairs that just have a towel on them and no people.

This was just posted an hour ago on facebook.

Re the chair reserving thingy. While I except the fact that we cant patrol the entire open decks we can patrol the chairs closet to the pool which are the ones that everyone reserves right? These are the chairs everyone wants. Now there are always chairs to be found around the ship, there are but the ones around the pool are the prime real estate. I will send a proposal to the beards sugegsting that we use our resources there and STOP guests reserving. Thoughts?

This was just posted an hour ago on facebook.

Re the chair reserving thingy. While I except the fact that we cant patrol the entire open decks we can patrol the chairs closet to the pool which are the ones that everyone reserves right? These are the chairs everyone wants. Now there are always chairs to be found around the ship, there are but the ones around the pool are the prime real estate. I will send a proposal to the beards sugegsting that we use our resources there and STOP guests reserving. Thoughts?

As long as they don't publicize exactly far out from the pool the "No Hogging Zone" will be enforced, I think it's an excellent compromise. Why tip off the hoggers?

As long as they don't publicize exactly far out from the pool the "No Hogging Zone" will be enforced, I think it's an excellent compromise. Why tip off the hoggers?

If they made it a little different each time (a certain deck, number of rows, etc.) so the hoggers would not be able to pattern them it would work..maybe...people trying to have their own way without regard to little things like rules always work harder to find ways around them than they likely work at their jobs...

In truth, the problem always seems to involve the main pool areas and chairs there, so this would work even if they did define the patrolled area.

What the world needs is a decent deck chair 15 minute countdown timer. If the timer is at zero and no one is in the chair, it's free for use, regardless of what may be sitting in it.

As an additional incentive, the timer could take quarters. Who'd bother to keep feeding quarters into the meter all day just to keep a seat reserved?

Just settle for a chair away from the pool, there are always plenty, problem solved.

Exactly and the loss of drink revenue is so out in left field......never, ever have I had a problem getting a drink anywhere on Carnival.....

People just need to realize if they need that perfect spot then get up early......otherwise quit you whining......

If they wanted to fix they could

Hire more folks enforce the 30 min " rule"

It will add cost. They could cut something else or charge a few bucks more

The problem seems to be around the pools

Even if they did enforce it around the pools the next " complaint" would be 30 is too long

The fact is the space is small , the pools are small

And if 35 % of the people wanted a chair near the pool and bar many people would be unhappy

For now get up early , get a chair lotion up and order a drink

And smoke em if you got em

It's a fun ship.... Have fun

Exactly and the loss of drink revenue is so out in left field......never, ever have I had a problem getting a drink anywhere on Carnival.....

No one said that you would ever have a problem finding a drink on Carnival; the observation is that the drinks don't find us as often the further we are from the pool.

Those towels on the chairs nearest the pool never buy a drink (at least that I have seen) but the servers tend to be in that area more than in the outer areas.

I would say that there is some loss of revenue from people who WOULD drink but WON'T go get as many as they would buy from someone oming to them...I may be wrong, but I don't think it is "out in left field"...

People just need to realize if they need that perfect spot then get up early......otherwise quit you whining......

People need to follow the rules instead of just doing whatever pleases them. The rules, if followed, make things more enjoyable for ALL guests while breaking them to suit individual whims takes away from the overall experience.

No one said that you would ever have a problem finding a drink on Carnival; the observation is that the drinks don't find us as often the further we are from the pool.

Those towels on the chairs nearest the pool never buy a drink (at least that I have seen) but the servers tend to be in that area more than in the outer areas.

I would say that there is some loss of revenue from people who WOULD drink but WON'T go get as many as they would buy from someone oming to them...I may be wrong, but I don't think it is "out in left field"...

People need to follow the rules instead of just doing whatever pleases them. The rules, if followed, make things more enjoyable for ALL guests while breaking them to suit individual whims takes away from the overall experience.

Stop making sense, you'll confuse the masses. ;):D

sorry but you are talking rubbish. I was on the Allure of the Seas two weeks ago and chair hogs were just as many as when i was on the dream. Fact !

I think that you are the one taking rubbish. I sailed on the Allure of the Seas as well and one of the things that I loved about it was the fact that they had so many pool attendants enforcing rules, not only with the chair hogs, but also making sure that infants in diapers were not in pools or hot tubs, and there were 5,800 passengers onboard when I sailed!

You can read my review below on my signature...

I think that this "change of policy" is just another result of the "cheapening" of the Carnival brand. Gerry Cahill has done a great job maximizing earnings at the expense of turning a great product into a cheap, mediocre product.

The riff raff has truly won this battle...:(

Celebrity (at least on the one X cruise I was on) is the same...

Does anyone know if RCI has the ''pool police' on their mega-ships such as Oasis?? Does size really matter in this case?

I would be quick to say that John's excuse wasn't good enough, however, that is a near-sighted response. I'm not really sure how the larger ships on the other lines handle chair hogs and would love if someone that knew first hand would post...

Maybe I'll just go ask over on their boards.

Question posted....we'll see the responses I get.

We sailed on Oasis last year and there were just as many chair hogs...they had MULTIPLE pools and we could never find a seat near ANY of them because of this...don't know if they had someone policing, never looked, just went to the upper decks and honestly even then it was sometimes hard to find a chair...not only are people chair hogs but they seem to need to keep one chair in between them and the next person so you can never get 2 near each other...

Ok let me re- phrase my post.........we never have a problem with the drink waiters finding us so therefore we never have a problem getting a drink.

If chair hogs take away from your overall experience then you need to stay home.......it is everywhere not just cruise ships......if you do indeed need a certain chair to enhance your cruising experience......then get up early and grab a few......

Just move the stuff off the chair and sit down. Geez! SMH!!!

I never have a problem sitting next to the pool or far away from the pool on any cruise ship. If I see a chair I want, I sit down in it. I wait 30 minutes or so before I move the stuff and the rest is history. And usually when you sit down the folks next to the empty chairs tell you, "Its been empty all morning."

One suggestion I do have is the deck hands cleaning and polishing by and around the decks at the crack of dawn could tell the folks who place there stuff on chairs in the early AM - I wouldn't do that if I was you. It will end up in lost and found. Or no chair saving, etc. Cut them off before they make it to the chair. And if they chose to do it anyway, the deck hand can pick up the stuff and put it in lost and found.

It's still not a big deal to me. I just don't understand why people get sooo upset about it. And I'm so use to doing it I tell everyone around me to do it. LOL!! Yes I am the Lady that told them to move your stuff. You've been gone for 4 hours! GET OVER IT!!!

We sailed on Oasis last year and there were just as many chair hogs...they had MULTIPLE pools and we could never find a seat near ANY of them because of this...don't know if they had someone policing, never looked, just went to the upper decks and honestly even then it was sometimes hard to find a chair...not only are people chair hogs but they seem to need to keep one chair in between them and the next person so you can never get 2 near each other...

O this is easy to solve. Sit in the middle chair. If they say anything, tell them it's been 30 minutes and no one has sat in it. Tell them this whether its been 30 minutes or not. Then kindly suggest you will sit on the left or right if they would like to sit together. BUT THE KEY IS SIT DOWN IN THE EMPTY MIDDLE CHAIR!!!

Obviously a continued stir over "chairhogism". As President of the "hogs" I would like to invite ya'll (yes I"m a Southern Hogg, spelled with 2 g's) to our annual meeting where we plan our tactics for the upcoming cruise season. ps. bring your own chair as their never seem to be enough to go around.In an effort to asuage(latin word for dampening your spirits) your concerns, you might care to know that we are highly dis-organized and usually cannot even agree on what kind crap we want to dump on chairs as proof of ownership. Rarely anything of value so feel free to remove it and substitute your own crap.BIG NEWS this year is we are considering expanding our efforts in the entertainment venues (you'll notice we've

already begun encroachment) and may attempt to reserve entire sections of the buffet dining area with a simple pair of cheap sunglasses. Also like

the notion of having at least one elevator, bow, stern, port and the other side (oh yeah, starboard) reserved for us at all times.Cannot began to

extoll (is that really a word ?) how our efforts have attracted new members.Everywhere I look there are empty chairs unavailable to folks

who actually want to occupy them:eek:

Archived