The Inmates Are Running the Asylum...JH Chairhogs Comment

TexasRon

I think that you are the one taking rubbish. I sailed on the Allure of the Seas as well and one of the things that I loved about it was the fact that they had so many pool attendants enforcing rules, not only with the chair hogs, but also making sure that infants in diapers were not in pools or hot tubs, and there were 5,800 passengers onboard when I sailed!

You can read my review below on my signature...

I think that this "change of policy" is just another result of the "cheapening" of the Carnival brand. Gerry Cahill has done a great job maximizing earnings at the expense of turning a great product into a cheap, mediocre product.

The riff raff has truly won this battle...:(

RIFF RAFF - another fine example of snobbery

The amazing thing to me is that everyone is complaining about chair hogs, but no one will admit to being one. We all hate it, because we spend an awful lot of time complaining about it, most of us do it, and we know we shouldn't, but that doesn't stop us. Maybe if we all "followed the rules" without someone telling us to... it might get better. OK, light me up... I know it is coming. :)

Thats a silly excuse. the only problem with chair hogs on the main deck is right around the main pool.

Never heard of any dumber excuse in my life to say its the whole two decks so too much area, we cant do it.

Exactly! It's only right around the pool thats crowded....why would you worry about patroling deck 11? There are 200 chairs and 8 people up there!

I think that you are the one taking rubbish. I sailed on the Allure of the Seas as well and one of the things that I loved about it was the fact that they had so many pool attendants enforcing rules, not only with the chair hogs, but also making sure that infants in diapers were not in pools or hot tubs, and there were 5,800 passengers onboard when I sailed!

You can read my review below on my signature...

I think that this "change of policy" is just another result of the "cheapening" of the Carnival brand. Gerry Cahill has done a great job maximizing earnings at the expense of turning a great product into a cheap, mediocre product.

The riff raff has truly won this battle...:(

Well I have to say that this may be on a cruise by cruise basis or ship by ship basis as on the Oasis we had a huge problem with it also. Just as many chair hogs as CCL so I think it just varies...

I met Gerry Cahill a few cruises ago, sat next to him at one of the shows and upon speaking with him...I don't think this is the case at all, as the matter of fact, this is probably not something they even bothered him with, it's not like it changes the industry or anything, they never policed the decks and now they are just making it official. He really was very open to our thoughts and didn't have a problem telling us the reasoning for a lot of things...do they do things for the bottom line...what corporation doesn't?

Exactly and the loss of drink revenue is so out in left field......never, ever have I had a problem getting a drink anywhere on Carnival.....

People just need to realize if they need that perfect spot then get up early......otherwise quit you whining......

Exactly. I don't think I have ever gone more than 10 minutes without an eager waiter passing close by to where I was laying out, even if it was out of the way on a high deck....

Find some unoccupied chairs. Ask around "is anyone sitting here?"

You should not have a problem finding a couple where the people who ARE there will say "no one's been there since I came here-3 hours ago".

Pick up the offensive belongings and relocate them.

If the chair hog returns, simply deny any knowledge of the action.

Tell them "the chair was empty when I got here".:p

Just remember, if you get involved in a confrontation you could be asking for trouble. Keep your cool; smile and say "enjoy the rest of your cruise".:)

Then turn the volume up on your MP3 player.

If the cruiselines won't do anything, then it's up to you. Personally, I come out to sit in the sun when I'm ready. I occupy my chair(except while I'm in the pool)until I'm done. Then I take my belongings and leave.

The way it's supposed to be done, and I will not be denied a place to sit because someone's "stuff" is holding a place for them in case they decide to use it.:D

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating doing anything malicious, although I think that's what is deserved here. Anyone who leaves their personal belongings unattended is asking for them to be stolen. So, what if you dump their stuff all on the floor? What are they going to do? Call you a liar? Tell them to call the lounge police.

Chairhogs are everywhere - even at the Comedy Clubs- DH and I went to sit down on a long empty bench seating and a guy sitting at the end of it comes to tell us that its saved :eek: We just looked at him and my DH said thank you, great seats :)

Honestly, I dont know if I have the nerve to move stuff. It'd be my luck they'd be coming around the corner as I was doing it. I will sit in seats that someone has saved for a show. Dont know why I have no problem with that and I do with the other. I guess cause I'm not physicaly touching someone else's stuff.

I have had the pleasure of sitting behind 2 guys at a show that had an argument about chair saving. A lady had saved a seat , one seat for her hubby. A guy came along and tried to sit there, she told him it was saved, he said no saving and sat down. When her hubby got there, a discussion ensued. The man wouldnt move , the hubby literally sat in his lap. And he continued to sit in his lap for the show. Granted it became more of sitting on one of his legs but it was shocking and hilarous. I couldnt even watch the show, for watching them for an hour sit like that. Anyways, I think it is reasonable to save a seat for your partner. I mean come on maybe they went to get a drink or to the restroom. Geez.

at first i was bothered by the fact they threw in the towel and removed the 30 minute time limit. This means, that if there's an issue, there's no recourse by saying "there's a 30 minute rule!"

but then in re-reading, there is still a NO CHAIR SAVING rule. They've just done away with the time limit. So in actuality, is has made it so people don't have to wait 30 minutes before they take a chair that has been "hogged". Personally, i would still wait that length of time to allow for folks who just ran to the bathroom etc... but if there IS an issue, you can still say that seat saving is NOT ALLOWED.

My only question, is that if security is called, what their decision will be. Since it's not allowed, they should side with the non-chair hog...but i would love to know what the official word is on solving any confrontations. As well, if we alert ship staff that a specific chair has remained empty (except for towels getting a suntan), if they would then remove the items.

People really need to get a vacation life while on a cruise........geez.....there are plenty of chairs......get up early if you want one by the pool.......

That's fine, so long as it's your butt and not your beach towel that's in it.

Chairhogs are everywhere - even at the Comedy Clubs- DH and I went to sit down on a long empty bench seating and a guy sitting at the end of it comes to tell us that its saved :eek: We just looked at him and my DH said thank you, great seats :)

That was the perfect response! Cool, thanks soo much..we're here now.

Let's see: lack of enforcement of chair hogs, lack of enforcement of seat saving at the shows, lack of enforcement of the dress code in the MDR......why bother with rules at all? :confused:

Exactly my point. I can't make the folks here and on the ships that don't want to follow ANY rule do so but Carnival can. All of them can tell us WHY the rule shouldn't apply to them but I'm thinking that all of them also would like people to follow certain rules in their day to day lives. For example, what if your employer didn't follow the "rule" that says he'll pay you every other Friday and decided Monday was better. They would be upset that he didn't follow that rule.

If you truly feel that you can live your life without any rules governing conduct, please tell is about that. if you have to follow any rules in your life, why would you feel you shouldn't follow the ones set by Carnival?

--Don't hog the chairs

--Dress properly in the MDR

--Don't save seats

The selfish attitude that says that these things are not to be followed because "I'm special" also tell everyone that you are not considerate of them.

The bottom line is that people break these rules because Carnival makes no attempt to enforce them and they don't really give a crap about anyone but themselves.

Exactly my point. I can't make the folks here and on the ships that don't want to follow ANY rule do so but Carnival can. All of them can tell us WHY the rule shouldn't apply to them but I'm thinking that all of them also would like people to follow certain rules in their day to day lives. For example, what if your employer didn't follow the "rule" that says he'll pay you every other Friday and decided Monday was better. They would be upset that he didn't follow that rule.

If you truly feel that you can live your life without any rules governing conduct, please tell is about that. if you have to follow any rules in your life, why would you feel you shouldn't follow the ones set by Carnival?

--Don't hog the chairs

--Dress properly in the MDR

--Don't save seats

The selfish attitude that says that these things are not to be followed because "I'm special" also tell everyone that you are not considerate of them.

The bottom line is that people break these rules because Carnival makes no attempt to enforce them and they don't really give a crap about anyone but themselves.

Agree with you except for the last line. Carnival is in business to make money and for better or worse does not want to alienate paying customers and cause altercations between paid guests and crew.

As a result they take the path of least resistance and they do not enforce their rules.

Agree with you except for the last line. Carnival is in business to make money and for better or worse does not want to alienate paying customers and cause altercations between paid guests and crew.

As a result they take the path of least resistance and they do not enforce their rules.

...which in turn will make for an unsatisfactory experience for the majority of people that will and do follow the "rules", and that will affect them even worse.

so, sorry, i don't agree with you.

Was up early every morning on a Pamama Canal cruise. Watch some chair hogs lay out their stuff every morning about 6. Then come back for breakfast, then go to chairs around 9:30.

One morning i couldnt stand it any longer so I gathered it all up (2 loads), threw it in the elevator the sent it Down, way DOWN.

The rest of the cruise they kept someone there every minute guarding their stuff. LOL

I think it can be done but it would require a little bit of effort. let me explain, not long I received a ticket for parking in a 30min parking zone for too long. I was kinda of amazed at how they could of known I was there for more than 30 mins until I saw the little ticket issuing lady putting different colored chalk marks on each parked cars tire. She made her rounds every thirty minutes if you had the right color in the right spot you got a ticket for being parked for longer than 30 mins. I thought what a simple solution, I figure you can do something quite the same way with the loungers.

Used to work in a down town area where they did this one person in the office would go out and move the cars a few inches until they caught on and watched us. We had a visit from Miss Chalkie and was told that in the future it we would still be getting tickets... It worked for a week.:o

Archived