Need help with Belize...

imfunny

We are going to be in Belize next week. And I have found excursions for all the other islands but this one is stumping me. There doesn't seem like a lot to do! We would love to just have one day of no plans and just walking and shopping. If you were able to do this at Belize were would you go stores,restaurants, that sort of thing. It is going to be my husband and I and our 13 and 9 yr old sons.

Yeah, unless you're planning on staying only in the port area, Belize is definitely not the place to just go wandering around. I would save that for another port.

If you want a suggestion for something a little laid back, we did the Mayan Ruin/River Wallace tour back in April and it was a really great excursion. Bus ride to the ruins, some walking around there, then lunch and boat trip on the River Wallace. It was very relaxing, informative and just a lot of fun. Bring hats and sunscreen, though, the sun on the river is STRONG and there's no shade on the boat.

Good luck!

We are going to be in Belize next week. And I have found excursions for all the other islands but this one is stumping me. There doesn't seem like a lot to do! We would love to just have one day of no plans and just walking and shopping. If you were able to do this at Belize were would you go stores,restaurants, that sort of thing. It is going to be my husband and I and our 13 and 9 yr old sons.

We were in Belize a few years ago. I agree - it's not the port to wonder around by yourselves. When we were there we did the caving excursion. It was nice.

We will be there in 3 (!!!!) weeks. Booked a cave tubing and ziplining independent excursion. About 1/2 the price of Carnival's. I've read the ziplining isn't as exciting here as in other ports, but this is our first time trying it and ziplining on the milder side is OK for our first time.

If you don't want an excursion and want to shop/eat I would recommend just hanging around the tourism village. Other than that you won't really want to walk around. Even if you don't consider it dangerous, there really just isn't much to see in the area.

You could also take a sort of no obligation, unplanned excursion by taking a water taxi to Caye Caulker. That's what we are thinking about for Belize. Google or search Caye Caulker for more info. Here is a site that has price/scheduling info on the 2 water taxi companies near the port.

http://www.gocayecaulker.com/members/ccwta.html

Just wondering what kind of pier area they have in Belize. Are there restaurants and shops right there or do you have to leave the area to find anything like that?

Claudia

there are a little bit of stores at the pier (remember its a 20 minute tender ride from the ship to the pier.)

If you don't want an excursion and want to shop/eat I would recommend just hanging around the tourism village. Other than that you won't really want to walk around. Even if you don't consider it dangerous, there really just isn't much to see in the area.

You could also take a sort of no obligation, unplanned excursion by taking a water taxi to Caye Caulker. That's what we are thinking about for Belize. Google or search Caye Caulker for more info. Here is a site that has price/scheduling info on the 2 water taxi companies near the port.

http://www.gocayecaulker.com/members/ccwta.html

I would second the motion of going to Caye Caulker. It is one of the neatest placest I've ever been to. You pass by a neat private island owned by some coal magnate from the US (amazing that people have THAT kind of money). A really laid back island with a few neat restaurants and a wonderful place to just walk around.

We went there on a private snorkeling excursion to have lunch, but the water taxi idea sounds fun as well.

For Food I remember the Wet Lizard being right there at the Port area, it is a bar/restaurant. Fun place and food was good.

They have quite a few shops with various things, most of them selling shirts and fake name brand purses.

Just wondering what kind of pier area they have in Belize. Are there restaurants and shops right there or do you have to leave the area to find anything like that?

Claudia

Claudia

Yes, you can take the tender and get off and there are many shops and restaurants right there. We have been there twice, first time this area did not exist but in Dec. 09, it was all built up and very nice.

Been there three times. This is not a port for sightseeing. Once outside the compound you are beseiged by vendors. The local houses are surrounded by high walls with broken glass imbedded in the mortar and the lower windows have bars on them. Doesn't look that bad in the slums back home. This is definately a port for an organized tour.

Here is my favs:

#1 Cavetubing. This is a hoot. Unless you are physically impaired this is a must do.

#2 Bannister Island Reef Snorkel and Beach Break. Gorgeous place to veg after a short boat snorkel trip.

#3 Cay Caulker. This one may have changed since they changed the water taxis. If I took this one again, it would be thru the ship.

We have 5 kids and went with them to Belize a few times. They were are now ages 10 - 17 and this was the past 3 years. By far, their favorite and most memorable was cave tubing. They all liked it and since it is so unique, they remember it well. They said this was their favorite. We did a private tour with Nacho and Cynthia who pulled us along.

We did Caye Caulker and they thought is was fine but nothing so great. They didn't like the very long boat ride, about 45 minutes one way and this is after the tender ride.

Once we did Bacab Gardens through the ship. This was not worth it and I would not to this again.

If we ever go back, we would do Bannister Island.

Tourism Village, where the tender brings you, is nothing special at all. I would stay on the ship if this was all I planned to do.

I would get off of the ship in Belize without a booked tour. I wouldn't leave the gates with kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess everything is different for different people. DH and I walked around Belize City last year, it was fine and everyone speaks english. It's a very poor country so there are rundown buildings, but I've been beseiged by vendors in other countries also. Here's a short thread from last year that someone else who explored on their own started.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1276732

this is not a city I would want to wander around in. the port city looked very poor and rough.

We went with cavetubing.bz and had a great day with our 3 kids on their excursion. Vitilano and Reuben were wonderful!! your children will enjoy it!

Trish

Archived