NCL Cruise Industry Size

roger001

Just finished an interesting book on the history of the cruise industry. Devils on the Deep Blue Sea, the dreams, schemes, and showdowns that built America's cruise ship empires. What I found interesting, being an NCL fan, is the small size of NCL within the industry. Carnival and RCCL own practically the entire industry. I was also surprised at how many of the other cruise line names they own also. The book is well reserched, presents all persons and events fairly..and balanced. The last 1/4 though does get heavy with business merger stuff. It all really only began in the late '60s...and yes..Love Boat did have a big influence on everything. We...this day and age...are at a good time to be cruise passengers.

Just finished an interesting book on the history of the cruise industry. Devils on the Deep Blue Sea, the dreams, schemes, and showdowns that built America's cruise ship empires. What I found interesting, being an NCL fan, is the small size of NCL within the industry. Carnival and RCCL own practically the entire industry. I was also surprised at how many of the other cruise line names they own also. The book is well reserched, presents all persons and events fairly..and balanced. The last 1/4 though does get heavy with business merger stuff. It all really only began in the late '60s...and yes..Love Boat did have a big influence on everything. We...this day and age...are at a good time to be cruise passengers.

(1) Who wrote the book?

(2) How much was it?

(3) Is it in paperback?

Mandy

....Carnival and RCCL own practically the entire industry. I was also surprised at how many of the other cruise line names they own also. ...

I think NCL's smaller size is one reason they provide better service and more perks than the others.

It is interesting when you look at how many other lines the big ones own, particularly Carnival. You may not be aware (since this did not happen until after that book was written) that Carnival also owns Cunard, the grand old name of passenger ships. That means they run the Queen's: Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Victoria. Let's hope they never reduce the quality and service that Cunard has always been famous for!

Kristoffer A. Garin, got it off Ebay for a couple of bucks plus shipping, mine's ex library hard back copy. Don't know about paperback.

Thank you, I will try to get a copy before I leave for my next adventure aboard on The Pearl on September 30th. I can hardly wait. My favorite ship and some of my favorite staff members.

I think NCL's smaller size is one reason they provide better service and more perks than the others.

It is interesting when you look at how many other lines the big ones own, particularly Carnival. You may not be aware (since this did not happen until after that book was written) that Carnival also owns Cunard, the grand old name of passenger ships. That means they run the Queen's: Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Victoria. Let's hope they never reduce the quality and service that Cunard has always been famous for!

Actually, this book is pretty recent, 2005. The Cunard merger with Carnival had already happened, along with them acquiring Princess, Holland American,and Costa. RCCL in the meantime had aquired Celebrity and maybe others that I've forgotten. And then there's NCL all by her lonesome and hope she stays that way.

If you haven't seen it yet, the show Cruise Inc., Big Money on the High Seas is really interesting and discusses some of the same things. You can stream it online here:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=1139954767

That show mentioned that NCL has somewhere around 10% of the market, while Carnival and RCCL have the majority of the rest.

Actually, this book is pretty recent, 2005. The Cunard merger with Carnival had already happened, along with them acquiring Princess, Holland American,and Costa. RCCL in the meantime had aquired Celebrity and maybe others that I've forgotten. And then there's NCL all by her lonesome and hope she stays that way.

Thanks for the update - didn't realize the book was that recent.

Thanks for the update - didn't realize the book was that recent.

2005 is recent? :eek:

That was 6 YEARS ago!

All of the Jewel class vessels and of course the Epic are all newer than that. For all the cruise lines think about how much has changed in SIX YEARS. That is a lifetime in lots of companies.

2005 is recent? :eek:

That was 6 YEARS ago!

All of the Jewel class vessels and of course the Epic are all newer than that. For all the cruise lines think about how much has changed in SIX YEARS. That is a lifetime in lots of companies.

The book doesn't get into much specifics and details of each line, ships, etc. It is primarily a look at all that went into the industry arriving as it is today. By 2005, all mergers had pretty much been completed about as much as they ever will due to various countries laws regarding a competative market place. The last few years, even newer ships, are just icing on the cake for us cruise customers.

Let's hope they never reduce the quality and service that Cunard has always been famous for!

Its already happend, just take a look at the Cunard board, service has gone down, food quality down, charges to eat the evening meal in the Buffet, cutbacks that are noticable.

Just the same for the entire industry though, but everyone seems to be noticing the changes.

@2inTul

"2005 is recent?"

It's all relative. I know you're referring to publishing, but for this geezer 2005 seems like it was just yesterday, :)

How long is one minute? Depends on which side of the bathroom door you are.

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

Azamara is the other cruise line Royal Caribbean owns!

Archived