spirt 09-04-11 sailing delayed for weather

vols_159

Tropical Storm Lee

Norwegian Spirit will remain at sea today, September 4, awaiting an opportunity for safe arrival to New Orleans. At this time, the ship is anticipated to arrive in New Orleans on Monday, September 5 in the late evening once berthing space at the pier becomes available. When the ship is alongside, guests will have the option to disembark Monday evening using the easy walk-off program or they can stay onboard until Tuesday morning if they need assistance with their luggage.

Embarkation for the September 4 Norwegian Spirit cruise will take place on Tuesday, September 6 beginning at 11 am. Guests are asked to delay their arrival at the pier to Tuesday, September 6. The ship is expected to sail at 5 pm. Because of the delay, Norwegian Spirit will sail a revised itinerary calling in Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico. Guests will receive a two-day refund based on the cruise fare paid as an on-board credit.

NCL is offering a two day refund, in the form of an on board credit.

I understand that this is weather related, and I am trying to be sensible. What I do not understand is: NCL is making provisions for the Spirit passengers that are coming in tomorrow evening by giving them the option of either staying overnight Monday evening, or walking off the ship.

There are no provisions made for those of us that are stranded in New Orleans now.

She is sitting at http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml?lat=26.2&lon=-88.3&radius=300

I believe that is over 200 miles away. It is about 106 miles just to travel up the river. The river was closed on Friday so there is no way she entered the river.

Okay found it. What they are looking at is a TUGBOAT south of NOLA called SPIRIT.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

I understand that this is weather related, and I am trying to be sensible. What I do not understand is: NCL is making provisions for the Spirit passengers that are coming in tomorrow evening by giving them the option of either staying overnight Monday evening, or walking off the ship.

There are no provisions made for those of us that are stranded in New Orleans now.

That is where travel insurance comes in under the Trip Delay section. It will pay for your meals and accomodation. (you have to submit a claim upon your return)

Dave

"I understand that this is weather related, and I am trying to be sensible. What I do not understand is: NCL is making provisions for the Spirit passengers that are coming in tomorrow evening by giving them the option of either staying overnight Monday evening, or walking off the ship.

There are no provisions made for those of us that are stranded in New Orleans now." by SnootieTootie

I'm guessing that NCL is thinking that most passengers stuck on the Spirit can't make their arrangements for Monday night being stuck on the ship so NCL is helping that way. And I'm guessing that most people stranded in NO waiting for the Spirit to arrive can make their arrangements easier. Hope people bought the right kind of travel insurance.

Now I know I won't cruise during hurricane season. I feel bad for everyone one involved.

Definitely won't be traveling during hurricane season again either, lol. We bought insurance so we will be covered but it's been super stressful to me, especially because we have two young kids and my brother and SIL came along for a special family vacation and I was the one who planned the whole trip. I'm guessing this is why the rates were cheaper and we got a kid's sail free promo. :D

I'm not sure what provisions for new passengers are available to NCL to give. They have a group of passengers who have been stuck in NO for a few days - disappointing and frustrating, to be sure - who at least have been on land the whole time and presumably able to find hotels. They have another group of passengers who have been stuck on the ship for a few days as it loiters out to sea waiting for a chance to get in. Many of these passengers, presumably, have missed their travel arrangements and have had no opportunity to make any arrangement for travel, hotel, or anything else.

I don't think NCL would kick the current pax off the ship late evening or at night with nowhere to go, and I suspect that the new pax also would not want this, when it comes right down to it. That doesn't mean it's not frustrating and disappointing - I know it must be. I just don't see what else NCL can do as far as deciding when to kick the current pax off the boat.

And 2/7 OBC is pretty nice! I'd be very disappointed about the changed itinerary, but I'd also be tempted to pamper myself like nobody's business with all that OBC!

Carnival just sent out this text message

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH - 9/5/11

The Carnival Triumph will be delayed arriving in New Orleans from its previous cruise on Monday, 9/5/11. Weather permitting, the ship is tentatively scheduled to dock at 3:00PM. Because of limited parking and seating facilities at the terminal, please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until 7:00PM. Embarkation is scheduled to take place from 7:00 -10:00 PM and there should be no impact to our scheduled itinerary. .

Another update will be provided no later than 10:00AM on Monday to confirm our plans for the day. We encourage guests to sign up for text updates by texting CCL3 to 36500

So that sounds like the Spirit will pull into the Julia St terminal if she is docking at 5pm.

Dave

We are supposed to be on the Spirit that is delayed and wanted to get a room. Is the insurance that everyone is talking about covering their hotel/meals purchased through NCL? My parents were told a hotel room would not be covered because it is weather related. They purchased the insurance through NCL. Thanks for any info.

Nanners

We are supposed to be on the Spirit that is delayed and wanted to get a room. Is the insurance that everyone is talking about covering their hotel/meals purchased through NCL? My parents were told a hotel room would not be covered because it is weather related. They purchased the insurance through NCL. Thanks for any info.

Nanners

They would have to read their policy. Some folks buy theirs through the cruiselines others through their Travel Agent and others independantly.

Mine is through my travel agent with Access America as the underwriter.

My policy would have covered me in this situation. Here is the verbiage from the policy.

When it applies:

Your travel is delayed for six or more consecutive hours for one of the following covered reasons.

Section 2: What this certificate includes:

Strike or common carrier delay

Your departure is delayed by a common carrier

Your departure is delayed by an unannounced strike

Quarantine

You are quarantined

Natural disaster

There’s a natural disaster

Politics, violence or theft

Your passports, money or other travel documents are lost or stolen

Your travel is delayed by a hijacking

Your travel is delayed by civil disorder or unrest

What it covers

Please refer to letter of confirmation to confirm coverage and limits in your plan

Meals, accommodation and transportation

Reasonable expenses for meals and accommodation while you’re delayed

Reasonable additional transportation expenses

Special limit

Maximum of $150 per person per day, up to the limit shown on your letter of confirmation Benefits are payable under travel delay or missed connection coverage not both.

The policy defines Natural disaster

A large-scale extreme weather or environmental event that damages property, disrupts transportation or endangers people. Examples include: earthquake, fire, flood, hurricane, or volcanic eruption.

Nanners

We got ours through an internet website in which you can compare policies. We bought the Travel Guard one. They said we would be covered for hotel, food and transportation.

We got ours through an internet website in which you can compare policies. We bought the Travel Guard one. They said we would be covered for hotel, food and transportation.

That is good news that Travel Guard will cover you. That is the company I always use for insurance. Have yet to use the insurance but it gives you piece of mind. Will be on the Spirit at the end of Oct and keeping my fingers crossed that the Atlantic calms down. Hurricane season ends Nov 30th with the peak being around now.

Feel sorry for all those passengers stuck in N.O. It is not fun to be touring a city in the rain and wind.

The Spirit is now outside the South Pass.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais

Put in Norwegian Spirit as the vessel name.

Dave

Looks like the Spirit and Triumph are in the same area south of the Pass. Did I read (somewhere, because I've read so much) that the Spirit is coming in today 9/5 and the Trimph is coming in tomorrow 9/6?

Answered my own question about the Spirit....

From NCL's website - Tropical Storm Lee

Norwegian Spirit will remain at sea today, September 4, awaiting an opportunity for safe arrival to New Orleans. At this time, the ship is anticipated to arrive in New Orleans on Monday, September 5 in the late evening once berthing space at the pier becomes available. When the ship is alongside, guests will have the option to disembark Monday evening using the easy walk-off program or they can stay onboard until Tuesday morning if they need assistance with their luggage.

Embarkation for the September 4 Norwegian Spirit cruise will take place on Tuesday, September 6 beginning at 11 am. Guests are asked to delay their arrival at the pier to Tuesday, September 6. The ship is expected to sail at 5 pm. Because of the delay, Norwegian Spirit will sail a revised itinerary calling in Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico. Guests will receive a two-day refund based on the cruise fare paid as an on-board credit.

Looks like the Spirit and Triumph are in the same area south of the Pass. Did I read (somewhere, because I've read so much) that the Spirit is coming in today 9/5 and the Trimph is coming in tomorrow 9/6?

Answered my own question about the Spirit....

From NCL's website - Tropical Storm Lee

And looks like the Triumph is coming in this afternoon before the Spirit -

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH - 9/5/11

The Carnival Triumph will be delayed arriving in New Orleans from its previous cruise on Monday, 9/5/11. Weather permitting, the ship is tentatively scheduled to dock at 3:00PM. Because of limited parking and seating facilities at the terminal, please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until 7:00PM. Embarkation is scheduled to take place from 7:00 -10:00 PM and there should be no impact to our scheduled itinerary. Another update will be provided no later than 10:00AM on Monday to confirm our plans for the day. We encourage guests to sign up for text updates by texting CCL3 to 36500.

We're sorry Mother Nature is not cooperating with us. We look forward to welcoming guests aboard the Carnival Elation & Carnival Triumph!

All other sailings departing on or after Monday, September 5, 2011 will continue to operate as scheduled. In the event we need to make a deviation to the itinerary, we will update our guests.

Triumph is now coming up the South Pass. The Spirit should be next. Then there are the 12 or so tankers and freighters that also in line to come in.

Dave

You'll get on the Triumph today? And then when she leaves, the Spirit will berth? Got it.

You'll get on the Triumph today? And then when she leaves, the Spirit will berth? Got it.

Yes, I am on the Triumph. She is docking at 5pm, boarding 8:30-10:30pm. Departure at 11pm.

The NCL Spirit is just starting her run up the river. Just now passing the entrance buoy. I would guess her docking at around 5:30-6pm at the Julia St terminal.

They will move her up to the Erato St terminal at a later time.

Dave

That is good news that Travel Guard will cover you. That is the company I always use for insurance. Have yet to use the insurance but it gives you piece of mind. Will be on the Spirit at the end of Oct and keeping my fingers crossed that the Atlantic calms down. Hurricane season ends Nov 30th with the peak being around now.

Feel sorry for all those passengers stuck in N.O. It is not fun to be touring a city in the rain and wind.

Which policy do you normally buy and how much is it? ive been looking in travel insurance but its all confussing

Which policy do you normally buy and how much is it? ive been looking in travel insurance but its all confussing

I went to insure my trip.com (hope I can say that) and plugged in the amount of our trip, including airfare and then did the comparison amongst the insurance companies. The price will be dependent upon how many people you have and which company you choose.

Archived