spirt 09-04-11 sailing delayed for weather

vols_159

this is a Update from NCL facebook page just a few minutes ago

September 3, 2011 2 pm

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the path of Tropical Storm Lee and Hurricane Katia.

The following is an update on our ships sailing in these areas this weekend:

Tropical Storm Lee

Norwegian Spirit will remain at sea on Sunday, September 4, awaiting an opportunity for safe arrival to New Orleans. At this time, the ship is anticipated to arrive in New Orleans on Monday, September 5 at approximately 5 pm (the ship cannot berth earlier as space at the pier is not available). Please note this arrival time is dependent on the speed and path of the storm.

All guests for the September 4 Norwegian Spirit cruise are asked to delay their arrival at the pier to Monday, September 5 in the late afternoon/early evening. We will have more information available Sunday at 2 pm as to more specific details regarding the anticipated time for embarkation.

Hurricane Katia

Norwegian Dawn is currently in Bermuda. We will be closely monitoring the path of the storm and if any further changes develop, we will notify the guests immediately.

Norwegian Gem is departing on Sunday from New York scheduled to go to Bermuda. However, depending on the path of the storm, the ship may need to alter its itinerary. Guests will be updated on board the vessel.

We will update our website and Facebook page daily throughout the weekend. The next update is scheduled for 2 pm on Sunday, September 4.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding and cooperation.

# # #

We are in NOLA right now and bummed out. Luckily we have trip cancel & delay so we are trying to book a second night in the Marriott and figure out what we are going to do for the next day and a half. Does anyone know from past experiences about this: if the ship is delayed and scheduled to arrive at 5pm, what time will it sail out? On a normal embark day, the Spirit docks at 7am and sails out at 5pm. If they keep with the same schedule, that means the sailing that was supposed to leave at 5pm on 9/4 will leave at 3am on 9/6. Is that the correct way of thinking? I know they still have to clean the rooms and restock the ship-that stuff takes time. Appreciate any info/advice you can give. This is our first cruise experience; not liking it so far:eek:

My husband and Mother in law are scheduled on the Spirit on 9/11 in a week. I know this would be driving them crazy, waiting!

I would guess they would try their best to speed up embarkation, and get you on your way ASAP. I wonder about the river pilot that has to bring the Spirit out down the Mississippi... he/she will have a late night. Hopefully they are planning on pulling in around noon and letting people off, and have asked you guys not arrive until around 3 or 4 so they can put you on quickly, and set sail. They will need to load provisions, and they will be down since they have used a little extra surplus. Hopefully it will be all hands on deck plus some extra local help to get you moving. I did read that they were unable to pull earlier in the day due to the dock being occupied. It's times like this that you realize how busy/small some ports are!

Hopefully the Marriott is treating you nicely. We like that hotel a lot. Very nice ladies in the concierge lounge! :) Hopefully NOLA is being nice to you!!!

We are in NOLA right now and bummed out. Luckily we have trip cancel & delay so we are trying to book a second night in the Marriott and figure out what we are going to do for the next day and a half. Does anyone know from past experiences about this: if the ship is delayed and scheduled to arrive at 5pm, what time will it sail out? On a normal embark day, the Spirit docks at 7am and sails out at 5pm. If they keep with the same schedule, that means the sailing that was supposed to leave at 5pm on 9/4 will leave at 3am on 9/6. Is that the correct way of thinking? I know they still have to clean the rooms and restock the ship-that stuff takes time. Appreciate any info/advice you can give. This is our first cruise experience; not liking it so far:eek:

I can't help you with any info on fast port turns but would like to sympathize for your inability to board. I'd be tempted to get a reservation - lunch or dinner - for the best NO restaurant you can find/reserve on a Sunday and get yourself the best consolation dinner you can afford. Throw yourselves the sailing celebration you would have had. :)

I can't help you with any info on fast port turns but would like to sympathize for your inability to board. I'd be tempted to get a reservation - lunch or dinner - for the best NO restaurant you can find/reserve on a Sunday and get yourself the best consolation dinner you can afford. Throw yourselves the sailing celebration you would have had. :)

Sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately we are traveling with 2 kids who were cooped up in the car for an 11 hr drive and now confined to a hotel room:eek: I think w might have to hit up Chuck e cheese or sone place similar to let them get some energy out. The pool at the hotel is closed too:(. Not much to do with the kids in the rain with nighttime setting in. Does trip insurance cover Xanax? LOL!

We made it here too, from Los Angeles. The airport was empty when we arrived at 4:00pm. They told us that it was because they weren't letting any flights out. Unfortunately, we saw the latest alert from NCL while we were taxying down the runway. Must say, they did an awesome job trying to contact us as they called my cell, hubby's and my dad's as he is our emergency contact.

Thank goodness for travel insurance as we are covered for trip delay and cancellation, so our hotel room and meals will be paid for tomorrow and Monday. We are anxiously awaiting the announcement from NCL tomorrow to see what is going to happen.

So sorry to hear that everyone's trip has been delayed. Sailing in hurricane season is always a hit or miss. (I'm hoping to miss next week).

My husband and Mother in law are scheduled on the Spirit on 9/11 in a week. I know this would be driving them crazy, waiting!

We are on that 9/11 cruise as well and it's definitely driving us crazy. Someone from our roll call down in NOLA says that this is suppose to pass and next week is calling for sunny skies. I'm hoping it doesn't change. :)

Does trip insurance cover Xanax? LOL!

That made me LOL! :D

The reason they cannot dock until 5pm is the Triumph will be in the berth. The Erato St terminal is used by both ships.

The next big question is what time is the Triumph going to dock. She was 1 1/2 hrs late arriving into Cozumel today due to the weather in the Gulf. She left Cozumel at 6pm instead of 5pm to make up for it to the passengers.

The other big question is the Triumph for her last three sailings has been leaving New Orleans 2-3 hours late. Her sail away time is 4pm.

Dave

Last time the spirt ran late because of a med evac and engine problem.. From what i read on here the port was a mess.. 2k plus at the port trying to board along with the other 2k trying to go home.. = mega traffic jam.. again i was not there just what people reported on here.. I hope the best for all paxs traveling and safe travel for everyone..! So IMO if they are docking at 5pm i wouldnt be at the pier trying to board at 5pm.. Again this is my thought i have no ideal what NCL plans are

Our family is on the Spirt 9-4 sailing.

We have been here in New Orleans since Friday. NCL has called my cells several times, and I have called them several times.

We did not take the insurance...so we are on our own (our bad I guess.) We secured hotel reservations at the same hotel that we stayed Friday and Saturday at, and the cost is reasonable. No biggy.

Hate that we are losing a day and a half, but God is in control of this situation.

I too like the OP am wondering how this is going to work. the ship is due in port at 5 p.m. Yet, the NCL rep told me we will embark at 5.....no way. I have a feeling tomorrow will be a very long day. We have to check out of Embassy Suites at 1:00, and probably will not board till 9:00 at best.

I feel for the folks coming off of the prior weeks sailing. What a mess.

NOTE TO SELF: DO NOT CRUISE IN HURRICANE SEASON OUT OF US ATLANTIC PORTS - OR AT LEAST HAVE GREAT INSURANCE AND A "PLAN B". Seriously, I feel for all this affects. Hope you can still have a great cruise in spite of adjustments.

Two endeavors are so weather dependent...flying and cruising. Neither the airlines or the cruise companies can control mother nature. We...us...paxs have to recognize the possibility of mother nature making a complete mess of our plans and accept it as a potential. Both industries try, the cruise ship lines more than the airlines, to help us salvage our plans as much as possible. But I don't assign blame for the mess to them. WE must research which seasons have the greatest potential for screwing us up either flying or cruising, and either accept the increased risk...or adjust schedule accordingly. My next cruise, out of Miami, mid Nov....hoping to be end of hurricane season.....but..... And...I always buy cruise insurance. My opinion.

Two endeavors are so weather dependent...flying and cruising. Neither the airlines or the cruise companies can control mother nature. We...us...paxs have to recognize the possibility of mother nature making a complete mess of our plans and accept it as a potential. Both industries try, the cruise ship lines more than the airlines, to help us salvage our plans as much as possible. But I don't assign blame for the mess to them. WE must research which seasons have the greatest potential for screwing us up either flying or cruising, and either accept the increased risk...or adjust schedule accordingly. My next cruise, out of Miami, mid Nov....hoping to be end of hurricane season.....but..... And...I always buy cruise insurance. My opinion.

You know, that' a really good point. I don't cruise often, but I do fly a lot - over a dozen times a year and often in winter. When flight plans are messed up by weather, there is a significant PITA factor for having long waits at the airport and getting to my destination. And often I'm really frustrated by arriving late or not at all and missing whatever event I may have missed.

But I have never for one second thought, nor in one case heard any of the other passengers say, that the airline should somehow compensate us for missing our event because of the weather. Nor can I think of any time that I have heard another passenger say that the airline should have somehow done something different with respect to decisions on when and where to fly, accommodating customer hopes and expectations, etc. Maybe it's because flying is done more often so that weather issues are more commonly understood to be an unliked but normal part of flying.

Great point.

But I do understand that none of that makes it feel any better for the passengers on this sailing who are being significantly affected. Understanding it does not magically make the disappointment and stress go away.

My daughter is on the Spirit that was supposed to be home today. She is as anxious to get back home as everyone is to get on the ship. She said it was a wonderful cruise.

They are awaiting further word today at 2pm.

But I do understand that none of that makes it feel any better for the passengers on this sailing who are being significantly affected. Understanding it does not magically make the disappointment and stress go away..

Absolutely right. Those two activities can have so much psychological impact on us. Cruising..because we've planned so long...so excited...and then sooo disappointing when it doesn't happen as planned. Flying...a delay can cause us to miss the cruise, miss a wedding or a funeral....or are those two similar? Anyhow, you're right... very, very stressful and disappointing.

Carnival just posted this at 11am.

The Carnival Triumph may be delayed arriving in New Orleans from its previous cruise on Monday, 9/5/11. Please advise guests to check back on carnival.com for updates. Also, encourage guests to sign up for updates by texting CCL3 to 36500.

Right now the river is shutdown to deep-draft vessels due to the Associated Branch Pilots not being able to board the ships due to weather conditions.

So now the question becomes who is going to dock first.

Dave

I am getting more aggravated with NCL by the minute. The update that they promised at 2:00 didn't happen. This time the customer service agent tole me, that it is 2:00 Arizona time. yeah right.

Yesterday the customer service agent tried to tell me that the Spirit was coming in at 5:00, and we would be boarding at 5:00. Anyone with half a brain knows that THAT is impossible.

Please NCL, just tell it to us straight.

A pilot is staying at our hotel. He checked some website and told me that the Spirit is sitting 6 miles from the port.

I feel for the passengers that are on their as well. So close, but unable to get off to make their travel arrangements.

We all want to be safe, but this is so frustrating.

A pilot is staying at our hotel. He checked some website and told me that the Spirit is sitting 6 miles from the port.

I feel for the passengers that are on their as well. So close, but unable to get off to make their travel arrangements.

We all want to be safe, but this is so frustrating.

She is sitting at http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml?lat=26.2&lon=-88.3&radius=300

I believe that is over 200 miles away. It is about 106 miles just to travel up the river. The river was closed on Friday so there is no way she entered the river.

Okay found it. What they are looking at is a TUGBOAT south of NOLA called SPIRIT.

Dave

Archived