spirt 09-04-11 sailing delayed for weather

vols_159

Which policy do you normally buy and how much is it? ive been looking in travel insurance but its all confussing

I usually get the Travel Guard Gold and increase some items like medical. It usually costs around $77 but that is dependent on age and cost of your cruise.

Below is what I am covered for.

Coverages & Benefit Limits

Standard Packages

ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES

$25000.00 Per Insured

ACCIDENTAL DEATH/DISMEMBERMENT

$10000.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE & TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

$1000.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE DELAY

$300.00 Per Insured

CANCEL FOR BUSINESS REASONS

Included Per Insured

CONCIERGE SERVICES

Included Per Insured

EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION

$500000.00 Per Insured

IDENTITY THEFT ASSISTANCE SERVICES

Included Per Insured

LIVETRAVEL ASSISTANCE

Included Per Insured

MISSED CONNECTION

$250.00 Per Insured

TRAVEL GUARD ASSIST

Included Per Insured

TRIP CANCELLATION

100% Trip Cost Per Insured

TRIP DELAY

$750.00 Per Insured

$150.00 Payout Limit Per Day

TRIP INTERRUPTION

150% Trip Cost Per Insured

TRIP INTERRUPTION - RETURN AIR

$750.00 Per Insured

15 Day Benefits

DEFAULT/BANKRUPTCY

FLIGHT GUARD $50,000

$50000.00 Per Insured

MISSED CONNECTION UPGRADE

$250.00 Per Insured

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION WAIVER

Included Per Insured

Optional Packages

Medical Coverage Upgrade

EMERGENCY EVACUATION & REPATRIATION UPGRADE

$500000.00 Per Insured

MEDICAL COVERAGE UPGRADE

$25000.00 Per Insured

I usually get the Travel Guard Gold and increase some items like medical. It usually costs around $77 but that is dependent on age and cost of your cruise.

Standard Packages

$25000.00 Per Insured

$10000.00 Per Insured

$1000.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE DELAY

$300.00 Per Insured

Included Per Insured

CONCIERGE SERVICES

Included Per Insured

$500000.00 Per Insured

Included Per Insured

LIVETRAVEL ASSISTANCE

Included Per Insured

MISSED CONNECTION

$250.00 Per Insured

TRAVEL GUARD ASSIST

Included Per Insured

TRIP CANCELLATION

TRIP DELAY

$750.00 Per Insured

TRIP INTERRUPTION

$750.00 Per Insured

15 Day Benefits

DEFAULT/BANKRUPTCY

FLIGHT GUARD $50,000

$50000.00 Per Insured

$250.00 Per Insured

Included Per Insured

Optional Packages

Medical Coverage Upgrade

$500000.00 Per Insured

MEDICAL COVERAGE UPGRADE

$25000.00 Per Insured

Thank you you have been very helpful!

Looks like the Spirit and Triumph are in the same area south of the Pass. Did I read (somewhere, because I've read so much) that the Spirit is coming in today 9/5 and the Trimph is coming in tomorrow 9/6?

Answered my own question about the Spirit....

From NCL's website - Tropical Storm Lee

Norwegian Spirit will remain at sea today, September 4, awaiting an opportunity for safe arrival to New Orleans. At this time, the ship is anticipated to arrive in New Orleans on Monday, September 5 in the late evening once berthing space at the pier becomes available. When the ship is alongside, guests will have the option to disembark Monday evening using the easy walk-off program or they can stay onboard until Tuesday morning if they need assistance with their luggage.

Embarkation for the September 4 Norwegian Spirit cruise will take place on Tuesday, September 6 beginning at 11 am. Guests are asked to delay their arrival at the pier to Tuesday, September 6. The ship is expected to sail at 5 pm. Because of the delay, Norwegian Spirit will sail a revised itinerary calling in Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico. Guests will receive a two-day refund based on the cruise fare paid as an on-board credit.

It's a shame that they are not sailing to Belize City and Roatan. IMHO, I did not see anything in Costa Maya that would make me want to go back there. Belize and Roatan were the highlights of the trip we took on the Spirit this past February. We didn't go ashore in Cozumel as we were tired and I had been sick the night before.

If I had Insurance that allowed cancel for any reason I would use it in this instance. Two days fare in OBC and only Costa Maya & Cozumel, not worth taking the trip, again in my opinion.

So sorry for all those affected by T.S. Lee.

It's a shame that they are not sailing to Belize City and Roatan. IMHO, I did not see anything in Costa Maya that would make me want to go back there. Belize and Roatan were the highlights of the trip we took on the Spirit this past February. We didn't go ashore in Cozumel as we were tired and I had been sick the night before.

If I had Insurance that allowed cancel for any reason I would use it in this instance. Two days fare in OBC and only Costa Maya & Cozumel, not worth taking the trip, again in my opinion.

So sorry for all those affected by T.S. Lee.

we had a good beach day in cozumel.. Havnt been to costa maya.. just a question even with insurance "cancel for any reason" can u canel just a few hours b4 the cruise?

Which policy do you normally buy and how much is it? ive been looking in travel insurance but its all confussing

Travel insurance is pretty much an actuarial calculation driven by your age and the cost of your trip.

I think Travel Guard is an excellent company. I generally buy their Gold policy and add the optional upgrade that would let me be evacuated to a hospital of my choice should I have that sort of emergency.

But you should read every policy carefully and be sure it's the right coverage for you.

we had a good beach day in cozumel.. Havnt been to costa maya.. just a question even with insurance "cancel for any reason" can u canel just a few hours b4 the cruise?

Honestly, I don't know about the timeframe for cancelation if you have that type of insurance. My pevious post was basicly my way of say that (huricane season not withstanding) I would never take a cruise that went to just Cozumel and Costa Maya and would be very disapointed if Belize and Roatan were eliminated, to the point of not wanting to go.

In my opinion, Costa Maya has a very pretty facade at the dock and alot of overpriced touristy stuff to do and buy. My DW bought a nice little Mexican sun dress (made in India), the comedian on board said that Costa Maya was Mayan for "retail plus ten percent". Our catamaran and snorkle excursion was canceled due to high seas so we ventured out to a nearby town where there was about a mile of beach with bars on one side, massage tables and beach chairs on the other. You couldn't walk twenty feet without somebody pestering you to patronize their establishments. I couldn't get back to the ship fast enough.

Honestly, I don't know about the timeframe for cancelation if you have that type of insurance. My pevious post was basicly my way of say that (huricane season not withstanding) I would never take a cruise that went to just Cozumel and Costa Maya and would be very disapointed if Belize and Roatan were eliminated, to the point of not wanting to go.

In my opinion, Costa Maya has a very pretty facade at the dock and alot of overpriced touristy stuff to do and buy. My DW bought a nice little Mexican sun dress (made in India), the comedian on board said that Costa Maya was Mayan for "retail plus ten percent". Our catamaran and snorkle excursion was canceled due to high seas so we ventured out to a nearby town where there was about a mile of beach with bars on one side, massage tables and beach chairs on the other. You couldn't walk twenty feet without somebody pestering you to patronize their establishments. I couldn't get back to the ship fast enough.

Not in Mexico? ;)

I read the info on NCLs website saying they would give two days credit. I am not sure if the value of a 5 day cruise with 2 ports is 5/7th the value of a 7 day cruise with 4 ports. I had heard of cruise lines offering their passengers better compensation for issues like this. Take a look at the new story below re: Carnival, which was also delayed due to weather:

"Carnival Ecstasy passengers had the option of canceling for a full refund, a 25% discount off a future two- to five-day voyage and a $45 per person meal allowance. Those who opted to sail on the modified three-day voyage will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare, a 50% discount on a future two- to five-day cruise, and $45 per person meal allowance in the form of a shipboard credit."

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/02/carnival-ecstasy-conquest-royal-caribbean-galveston-houston-fog-delay-/143938/1

That being said I will say we have cruised NCL many times in the past and have been pleased with them in the past. I hope they can come up with something additional to offer passengers.

I read the info on NCLs website saying they would give two days credit. I am not sure if the value of a 5 day cruise with 2 ports is 5/7th the value of a 7 day cruise with 4 ports. I had heard of cruise lines offering their passengers better compensation for issues like this. Take a look at the new story below re: Carnival, which was also delayed due to weather:

"Carnival Ecstasy passengers had the option of canceling for a full refund, a 25% discount off a future two- to five-day voyage and a $45 per person meal allowance. Those who opted to sail on the modified three-day voyage will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare, a 50% discount on a future two- to five-day cruise, and $45 per person meal allowance in the form of a shipboard credit."

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/02/carnival-ecstasy-conquest-royal-caribbean-galveston-houston-fog-delay-/143938/1

That being said I will say we have cruised NCL many times in the past and have been pleased with them in the past. I hope they can come up with something additional to offer passengers.

A spokesperson for Carnival tells USA TODAY the Carnival Ecstasy will operate an abbreviated, three-night cruise without port calls instead of its originally scheduled five-night sailing that was to include stops in Cozumel and Progreso in Mexico.

Sounds lame. I would expect a healthy discount on a 5 day cruise that was scheduled for two ports that turned into a 3 day cruise with ZERO port stops.

Sounds lame. I would expect a healthy discount on a 5 day cruise that was scheduled for two ports that turned into a 3 day cruise with ZERO port stops.

Exactly. And what i am saying is this NCL Spirit cruise I am about to leave on tomorrow was a 7 day cruise with 4 ports and is now a 5 day cruise with 2 ports and all they are offering is a refund of 2 days of the cruise fair given as on board credit. Not on board credit and a refund, not a discount on a future cruise. So if you paid 700 per person you would simply get a 200 on board credit for each person and that's it.

It looks like Carnival, in a similar situation a few months ago, has offered their customers a larger credit and half off a future cruise. They also gave people the option to cancel if the wanted to do that. I think NCL needs to offer passengers something else more comparable to what their competitors offer passengers in similar situations.

Exactly. And what i am saying is this NCL Spirit cruise I am about to leave on tomorrow was a 7 day cruise with 4 ports and is now a 5 day cruise with 2 ports and all they are offering is a refund of 2 days of the cruise fair given as on board credit. Not on board credit and a refund, not a discount on a future cruise. So if you paid 700 per person you would simply get a 200 on board credit for each person and that's it.

It looks like Carnival, in a similar situation in 2008, has offered their customers a larger credit and half off a future cruise. They also gave people the option to cancel if the wanted to do that. I think NCL needs to offer passengers something else more comparable to what their competitors offer passengers in similar situations.

Hey I feel your pain. I was looking at booking this early last week at the last minute. It was obvious this tropical storm had the potential to screw it up and it did. I am within' a short drive so obviously a different situation than someone that flew in and planned months earlier.

Insides were only $379 this last week. So on those rooms the 2 day kickback would have been minimal. I would much rather have the two days than the small refund in the form of OBC.

Is a 7 day with 4 ports going to 5 days and two ports the same as a 5 day going to 3 with no ports? Maybe NCL figures that is good enough.

Sucks about losing the two days but hopefully you enjoy yourself anyway.

Insides were only $379 this last week. So on those rooms the 2 day kickback would have been minimal. I would much rather have the two days than the small refund in the form of OBC.

Is a 7 day with 4 ports going to 5 days and two ports the same as a 5 day going to 3 with no ports? Maybe NCL figures that is good enough.

Sucks about losing the two days but hopefully you enjoy yourself anyway.

So this cruise will be $227 for a 5 day 2 port cruise instead of a $379 7 day 4 port cruise. The cheapest Carnival cruise leaving New Orleans this month on a 5 day cruise to 2 ports in Mexico is $229 and that's in a room with bunkbeds.

So it still seems like they are getting a better deal even though their vacation isn't what they had expected due to a weather related problem.

Traveling in Hurricane season is always a risk of cruising longer or shorter than intended. This is one reason that cruises out of New Orleans are always cheaper at this time of year.

This is the policy I got....they paid out for my cruise delay in March. The delay was due to a Medical emergency but on the letter from NCL to us at Embarkation they also listed Engine issues; that is what they paid out on. I was given back 1/7 of our cruise fare for our two rooms.

Standard Packages

$25000.00 Per Insured

$10000.00 Per Insured

$1000.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE DELAY

$300.00 Per Insured

Included Per Insured

CONCIERGE SERVICES

Included Per Insured

$500000.00 Per Insured

Included Per Insured

LIVETRAVEL ASSISTANCE

Included Per Insured

MISSED CONNECTION

$250.00 Per Insured

TRAVEL GUARD ASSIST

Included Per Insured

TRIP CANCELLATION

TRIP DELAY

$750.00 Per Insured

TRIP INTERRUPTION

$750.00 Per Insured

15 Day Benefits

DEFAULT/BANKRUPTCY

FLIGHT GUARD $50,000

$50000.00 Per Insured

$250.00 Per Insured

Included Per Insured

Optional Packages

Medical Coverage Upgrade

$500000.00 Per Insured

MEDICAL COVERAGE UPGRADE

$25000.00 Per Insured

I must be a gluton for punishment, because I know that this post will make me the target for criticism.

We were booked on the Sep 4 Spirit and arrived in New Orleans Friday Sep 2. We stayed at the Embassy Suites.

Let me first say how kind and courteous the staff at Embassy were. They went over and beyond our expectations in accomodating us for the extra nights at a cheaper rate than the lowest available rate . I would highly reccomend Embassy Suites on Julia St.

NCL did provide numerous updates throughout the days that we were in New Orleans. The final update told us that we would not be boarding the ship until Tuesday, and a 2 day OBC would be issued.

After my husband and I, and my elderly parents discussed it, we decided to go on home Monday. With two missed cruise days, we would have liked a two day refund, verses the onboard credit. (we don't drink, nor gamble) We called NCL and asked if canceling was an option. They informed us that we could cancel, but we would have to call Customer Relations when we returned home, and refunds would be granted on a case by case basis.

Airtran let us change our flights due to the weather, with no change fees...wonderful!!

Now, after returning home, we called Customer Relations and asked about the cancellation refund. They informed us that corporate decided that there would be NO refunds. Not that it makes a difference, but we are loyal NCL customers, hubby and I Platinum, and my parents are Gold.

I called my credit card company (Bank Of America NCL card) and stated the facts, and opened a dispute based on what the company said was "services were not rendered". Within two hours they called and said that the dispute was decided in our favor.

I know that many of you will think that this was not the right thing to do. I feel that NCL should have given us the option to cancel, and I also feel that the 2 day OBC should have been a refund. In fairness to NCL, customer relations said that once the Sep 4 cruisers boarded the ship an announcement was made that any remaining unused $$ of the OBC would be credited back to their credit cards. BUT, we were not told that any any of the emails from NCL prior to sailing.

If anyone opted to cancel, you may want to take it up with your credit card company, and you may receive reimbursement.

We did use a future cruise certificate, and we are out $250, but that's ok. Lesson learned, purchase the insurance.

I must be a gluton for punishment, because I know that this post will make me the target for criticism.

We were booked on the Sep 4 Spirit and arrived in New Orleans Friday Sep 2. We stayed at the Embassy Suites.

Let me first say how kind and courteous the staff at Embassy were. They went over and beyond our expectations in accomodating us for the extra nights at a cheaper rate than the lowest available rate . I would highly reccomend Embassy Suites on Julia St.

NCL did provide numerous updates throughout the days that we were in New Orleans. The final update told us that we would not be boarding the ship until Tuesday, and a 2 day OBC would be issued.

After my husband and I, and my elderly parents discussed it, we decided to go on home Monday. With two missed cruise days, we would have liked a two day refund, verses the onboard credit. (we don't drink, nor gamble) We called NCL and asked if canceling was an option. They informed us that we could cancel, but we would have to call Customer Relations when we returned home, and refunds would be granted on a case by case basis.

Airtran let us change our flights due to the weather, with no change fees...wonderful!!

Now, after returning home, we called Customer Relations and asked about the cancellation refund. They informed us that corporate decided that there would be NO refunds. Not that it makes a difference, but we are loyal NCL customers, hubby and I Platinum, and my parents are Gold.

I called my credit card company (Bank Of America NCL card) and stated the facts, and opened a dispute based on what the company said was "services were not rendered". Within two hours they called and said that the dispute was decided in our favor.

I know that many of you will think that this was not the right thing to do. I feel that NCL should have given us the option to cancel, and I also feel that the 2 day OBC should have been a refund. In fairness to NCL, customer relations said that once the Sep 4 cruisers boarded the ship an announcement was made that any remaining unused $$ of the OBC would be credited back to their credit cards. BUT, we were not told that any any of the emails from NCL prior to sailing.

If anyone opted to cancel, you may want to take it up with your credit card company, and you may receive reimbursement.

We did use a future cruise certificate, and we are out $250, but that's ok. Lesson learned, purchase the insurance.

I for one, would not flame you for that. If I was in your shoes, and it was an option for us, we would probably want to do the same thing. I know you can't predict the weather, however, a lot of blood, sweat and tears go into planning our vacations and there is only a certain 2 weeks during the entire year that I am able to go (due to school break and work). So, if we had to miss 2 of the ports and they were really important to me, plus I was expecting a 7 day vacation, and I could have a chance to rebook...I would have definitely gone this route (not saying those were factors in your case...just saying I would have done it too).

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your refund in the end. Did you by any chance purchase cruise insurance or anything as well? Just wondering.

Thanks Mitsugirly!

We did not purchase the insurance.

Another interesting thing my credit card company told me: If the dispute had not been found in my favor, I have trip assurance (their term) and it would have covered the crusie fare. So, either way, they said that it would be covered. I really had no idea that Bank Of America provided this coverage.

My parents are in their upper 70s and this trip really stressed them out. Waiting for the updates fron NCL, and not sure what was going to happen was just to much for them. Not to mention the constant tornado warnings in New Orleans, the pouring rain, no trolleys...it was not much fun

Thanks Mitsugirly!

Another interesting thing my credit card company told me: If the dispute had not been found in my favor, I have trip assurance (their term) and it would have covered the crusie fare. So, either way, they said that it would be covered. I really had no idea that Bank Of America provided this coverage.

My parents are in their upper 70s and this trip really stressed them out. Waiting for the updates fron NCL, and not sure what was going to happen was just to much for them. Not to mention the constant tornado warnings in New Orleans, the pouring rain, no trolleys...it was not much fun

Awww, so sorry they had to be stressed like that. Hopefully you all will get to take that cruise some day soon and hopefully it will be a great one. :)

Thanks Mitsugirly!

So by using your NCl boa CC you have trip insurance..? how do you find out what the policy is?

The description of that benefit, along with other travel-related benefits from BOA, were in a fine-print phamplet that they sent a few weeks after the card. I didn't read it closely because I'd already purchased insurance for this trip. But I did put it in my "NCL MC" file so I can look at it more closely before the next cruise. I buy trip insurance for medical evac more than cancellation and disruption, so I'll have to see what all is built into the BOA card.

I am not sure that everyone has it. The Customer service agent that I talked to before I talked to the Billing Inquiries Specialist said "Let me take a look and see if you have Travel Assurance" (not Insurance, Assurance). She put me on hold for a while and came back that "yes, I have it, and if the dispute was not found in my favor, I could fall back on the Trip Assurance."

We have the Bank of America NCL Mastercard.

I would call your cedit card company and inquire if you also have this coverage.

The description of that benefit, along with other travel-related benefits from BOA, were in a fine-print phamplet that they sent a few weeks after the card. I didn't read it closely because I'd already purchased insurance for this trip. But I did put it in my "NCL MC" file so I can look at it more closely before the next cruise. I buy trip insurance for medical evac more than cancellation and disruption, so I'll have to see what all is built into the BOA card.

just one more question how did you dispute a charge from months ago? so does ncl have to payback the BOA CC? just trying to understand all the facts

just one more question how did you dispute a charge from months ago? so does ncl have to payback the BOA CC? just trying to understand all the facts

vols - I'm not the one that disputed the charge - that's another poster. I chimed in because I just got my BOA NCL MasterCard phamplet last week and noticed it included some trip protections. I was just letting you know where they could be found in the paperwork.

But I am also curious as to how it would work to dispute a charge that is both this large and this old through normal credit card processes. I am also interested in the same response you are looking for.

I went to my BOA CC statement online, and found the transaction dates and amounts. I had two separate transactions, one in July for two inside cabins, and then another in August when we upgraded to a balcony

I called BOA, explained the situation to the Customer Service Agent. They then gave me the number for the Billing Inquiries.

The grounds that it was granted was "that services had not been rendered".

They said that the $$ would be credited back to my account within 48 hours, so I assume that it will be taken from NCL

I really hated doing this, but NCL left me no other option. My parents were a wreck, they had enough, and they wanted to go home.

Two days less, and two crummy ports, is not what we purchased

Smootie,

I don't blame you. We were booked on the same cruise and ended up going on the cruise. As I posted earlier in this thread, Carnival offered their customers the option of refunds when this happened to a Carnival cruise out of TX earlier this year. Carnival also gave the people who chose to sail half off a future cruise in addition to an on board credit. NCL did not do this. I do not think they did enough here. People did not book a 5 day cruise. No one was getting what they paid for. NCL should have been more cognizant of that.

We also did not feel like any of the staff on the ship went out of their way to do anything "special" to makeup for the problem. In fact, out of the several cruises we have been on I would put the service near the bottom and not the top. The condition of the ship was also the poorest I've ever seen on any cruise. A lot of things were dirty or worn. We had previously been on the Spirit in 2006 and it did not look nearly the same. It was clear that it had not been kept up well. We have sailed on ships older than the spirit and they were kept up better.

That being said, NCL has always been one of my favorite cruise lines. I have always had good experiences with them except for this cruise. I will not let this one bad experience keep me from booking with them in the future.

Archived