Allure's August 28th cruise - blood donor call?

Kesali

Friends came back today from the August 28th Allure cruise. The husband was telling us that yesterday they heard an annoucement over the speakers asking if there were any passengers onboard with blood type 0. And could they medical facilities and bring their donor card if they had one.

Now he did not know what that was about. Did anyone else hear about this? Know any more info?

We were on that cruise and heard the call for the blood donor. I heard that many people did go down to possibly donate. Not sure what the problem was, but around 5pm that day the US Coast Guard helicopter came and air-lifted a passenger off the ship. I hope whatever the situation was turned out ok.

Having worked at a blood bank the idea of them calling for donors to donate on the spot to be transfused is scary. Even if you previously donated your situation could change and they could get tainted blood.

Having a medical facility on board you would think they would have an emergency blood supply. A couple of bags properly stored, the blood is good for over 30 days. Yes there is an expense to purchase blood and it would be destroyed after the timeline, but much safer.

I hope the passenger made out ok.

We were getting ready for the zip line when we heard the announcement for blood donors. They needed O-, so we could't help. Later, we were in our cabin getting ready for dinner and my wife saw a helicopter fly by our balcony. I went out to the balcony and we were no longer moving. The helicopter circled the Allure 2 times and landed. About 10 minutes later,they left. A couple minutes after they left a Coast Guard plane circled a couple times and followed the helicopter back to shore. We hope everybody is OK.

The sick passenger was with our family of 16. The wonderful people on the Allure came out 60 strong to donate blood. Two volunteers saved his life with their blood. The medical evacuation then transported him to Miami where he received more blood and medical treatment. I am happy to say that he is doing fine and all thanks to the wonderful people on Allure of the Seas...Passengers and crew and the Coast Guard. What could have been a tragic end to a wonderful family vacation including his two young grandchildren turned into a great vacation with a very happy ending. THANK YOU ALL

The sick passenger was with our family of 16. The wonderful people on the Allure came out 60 strong to donate blood. Two volunteers saved his life with their blood. The medical evacuation then transported him to Miami where he received more blood and medical treatment. I am happy to say that he is doing fine and all thanks to the wonderful people on Allure of the Seas...Passengers and crew and the Coast Guard. What could have been a tragic end to a wonderful family vacation including his two young grandchildren turned into a great vacation with a very happy ending. THANK YOU ALL

Great story and glad to hear that he is doing fine.

Hopefully you can all hop on another cruise in the near future and it will be smoother sailings for all.

Godspeed!

-germ

Thank you for that information. Best wishes to you and your family.

M

Archived