Internet

HollDoll

Hi: I have looked on the HAL website and can't seem to find the prices for internet usage and packages. Can anyone tell me where I can find this information? Can you either purchase a package or use it minute by minute? Any help is appreciated--ours is a 17-day cruise. Thanks much!!

100 minutes for $55 plus start up charge of $3.95

250 minutes for $100 plus start up charge of $3.95

If you sign up for package on the first day, you get bonus minutes. For the 100 minute plan, you get 10 bonus minutes and 20 bonus minutes for the 250 minute plan.

You can go on line by the minute at (I think) $.75. We never do the minute as it is so costly.

No free WiFi on the ship.

Internet Prices:

It doesn't make any difference whether you bring your own laptop or use the ship's computers -- the price is the same -- no free WiFi.

The advantage of having your own laptop is that you can work off-line and then just copy and paste once you are online -- will save minutes. The internet is slooooow.

There is a one time $3.95 activation fee.

Plan 1 - $0.75 per minute

Plan 2 - $55 for 100 minutes

Plan 3 - $100 for 250 minutes.

Most ships will offer 10 free minutes for Plan 2 and 20 free minutes for Plan 3 if you sign up for a plan on embarkation day.

Check the Explorer Daily program as there will be specials during the cruise.

Some days they will have a Happy Hour special -- you go on line for 30 minutes -- but use only 15 minutes of your internet time -- that is just one example.

If you bring a laptop/netbook you can save considerable money by using a mail handler such as Windows Live Mail and doing all of your reading/writing off-line, connecting only long enough to transmit one batch and download a new batch.

It's also convenient to have your netbook/laptop in order to go on line at less busy times. If you were to go on line at 12 midnight, the chances of having a faster connection are better than at 2 P.M. on a sea day. The fewer users, sometimes, the faster connection.

You might not wish to go out to the Exploration Cafe at that hour.

They also offered a smaller package, about 15 minutes or so, that is handy to use on the next-to-last day for those who only want to check in for their return flights, print their boarding passes, and perhaps send off some last minute emails from the ship.

I don't recall the exact cost (maybe someone else will remember) but it was less than paying by the minute.

The internet on the ships is so slooooooow! not much faster than the old dial-up (that dates me).

Quite a few of the ports are getting free wifi now. In some ports you can sit on your balcony and get a good signal.

Also in ports check libraries, McDonalds, Starbucks etc. Some cities are now getting a 'cloud' especially the downtown cores.

They also offered a smaller package, about 15 minutes or so, that is handy to use on the next-to-last day for those who only want to check in for their return flights, print their boarding passes, and perhaps send off some last minute emails from the ship.

I don't recall the exact cost (maybe someone else will remember) but it was less than paying by the minute.

You're right and I was going to post that last night but couldn't remember exactly the price. I think it is 15 minutes for something like $7.50. If we are b-to-b, I often buy several blocks of those minutes as the reduced rate and they carry over for me to use on the next cruise.

Archived