Some new menu items!

39august

If they say it is then it is. I am used to seeing it look more like this. I guess there are many variations of the dish.

That was my thought as well but if you look there is a cream on top. I'm thinking they served it with the sour cream sauce on top for presentation rather than mixed into it?

Wow, that sounds so much better than the stupid "DIDJA" menu Carnival put out. Hey, you can have Alligator fritters and frog legs, yum (not).

Just off Carnival Ecstacy and I totally agree! We tried neither. Did not care for their food at all except the pizza, wish RCCL could get theirs that crispy and good!

That was my thought as well but if you look there is a cream on top. I'm thinking they served it with the sour cream sauce on top for presentation rather than mixed into it?

We had that first thought too...didn't "look" like beef stoganoff...but it was. Like sherilyn said...guess it's mixed to look more 'gourmet'??

Just off Carnival Ecstacy and I totally agree! We tried neither. Did not care for their food at all except the pizza, wish RCCL could get theirs that crispy and good!

we thought that about the pizza on the ship too. Last year we thought Carnival's was great!! Wished the crust on the pizza at Sorrento's was like the crust on Carnival (but the rest of the pizza was just as good)

I had a taste of my husband's alligator sandwich (on vacation) back in '09. Tasted like pork chop. Was weird...thot it would taste like frog legs..which taste like chicken. Wasn't bad tho...

Yes...that is the beef stroganoff. I take pictures of the menu so I can remember what the food we order is. When I was writing my review, I wasn't sure if that's what he ordered and asked him. He said 'yep'....so, I know that IS it.

Does RCCL actually call it alligator tail? Everybody in Florida knows it's gator tail. We see gators at golfcourses, some people play against gators in football stadiums, and we eat gator tail in restaurants. Not to be confused with crocodile...which is yellow and oily!

Does RCCL actually call it alligator tail? Everybody in Florida knows it's gator tail. We see gators at golfcourses, some people play against gators in football stadiums, and we eat gator tail in restaurants. Not to be confused with crocodile...which is yellow and oily!

The alligator wasn't on the ship. It was at JB's in New Smyrna Beach in Fla. at my brother-in-laws :) It's a place you can arrive by vehicle or by boat. We did the latter. :D

Looks like the stroganoff is 'deconstructed'. A fancy term for the components are taken apart and presented differently, but when combined the flavor is the same as the original presentation:D Looks yummy. Hoping to see some new stuff on our 10 nighter in December:)

I had the Laska soup on my 8/21 cruise. I really liked it. I love Thai food and it had a Thai taste to it.

My daughter had the Shrimp Gyoza and liked it. She also had the tofu/vegetables another night and picked at it. (Not because she didn't like it, but more of she ate with the teens befores dinner).

Someone in my party-either hubby or son- had the beef stroganoff. They didn't overly praise it like it was excellent, but they said it was pretty good.

I tried the coconut creme brule. I do like creme brule, but maybe it was me or just an off day, but I only thought it was ok. There was nothing truly special about it.

That is Beef Stroganoff? Sure does not look like any I have ever had.
My mom had it and that was her words exactly when it arrived. I know we all like different types of food but she said she would never order it again. Sure some love it but it does not even look appealing to me.

BonVoyage

Dawna

We had a few of these new items offered on the 5/22 Allure. I remember because DH ordered the Harira soup (which he loves) and the waiter brought him the green gazpacho and he hates gazpacho. The waiter kept insisting, yes, that's the Harira! LOL. I ended up ordering the green gazpacho myself (then he brought the the Harira) and we switched ;)

DH also had the stroganoff and said it was okay. I think someone in my group ordered the pasta dish, but I don't remember too much about it.

We were not a fan of the shrimp dumplings. We expected something similar to dim sum .... these were pan-fried and burnt. Also, could not taste the shrimp!

The banana cream pie with chocolate kahlua custard was very good. Relatively speaking, it was the best dessert we'd had all week.

If they say it is then it is. I am used to seeing it look more like this. I guess there are many variations of the dish.

Well, it would have gone right back if it were served to me. I'm highly allergic to bell peppers and have NEVER even seen a recipe for beef strogonoff that contains them (I collect cook books and cook quite a lot). If it's a dish I'm not certain about, I always ask if there are peppers involved but would not have ever thought to ask about beef strogonoff.

That was my issue with the Apple Parcels. I can't remember the description exactly, .... but it is described as "Delicated apples in puff pastry served with a calvados cream sauce". It should be described as "delicate apples with an almond filling in puff pastry served in a calvados cream sauce".

There is NO MENTION of nuts in the description. So, one would not expect there to be any. But the taste is so strong you get it in the first bite.

Learned this the hard way on Grandeur in fall of 2010. I complained to the waiter and the head waiter, and on the comment card, and brougt it to their attention in writing to Royal.

On FOTS last week, guess what is still on the menu with no updated description?????

IMHO, common allergens should NOT be hidden in a food item. At least if the nuts are sprinkled on top, you can see them before eating them.

I tried the coconut creme brule. I do like creme brule, but maybe it was me or just an off day, but I only thought it was ok. There was nothing truly special about it.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in this version of it. I love creme brule, can't stand coconut.

I found that some of the dessert options contain liquor and it does not include it in the description. This is a problem for me and yes, I've taken a bite and tasted the bourbon etc and had to discreetly dispose of the bite in my napkin. I remember one was a chilled cherry dessert of some kind. I also found that there were very little dessert options at Giovanni's Table that didn't contain either alcohol or caffeine (this was on the Oasis last May). Just the donuts, which were pretty good. But at least it was clear, unlike some items in the MDR. The big three clearly marked should be nuts, alcohol and coffee/espresso.

Oasis-of-the-seas-Giovannis-table-restaurant-menu-6.jpg

I love creme brule, can't stand coconut.

I am the same...I like creme brulee, but HATE coconut.

One night at dinner, I didn't order any dessert, but our server thought I should have something. He talked me into trying the coconut creme brulee because he told me you could barely taste any coconut in it (I had mentioned to him I don't like coconut.)

He convinced me to try it.

He was right. I couldn't taste any of the coconut. :confused:

A fab new addition to the Chops Grille menu I love this red velvet cake had it twice on recent Jewel of the Seas Sailing , just amazing but leave plenty of room its big ! :eek:.... plus my Dave had the Crème brûlée and this came out flaming very impressive!....

Mark

(here's to Jan I can't wait for another slice).... :D

DSCN3876.jpg.a548c243f4caaedf007934e7fcbc165e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've had poor luck with the new menus. The Coq au Vin (the 'Chef's Signature' entree) was the single worst meal I've had on a cruise ever. The chicken was dry, tough, and looked like it had been under a heat lamp for hours. I hate to waste food, and I couldn't finish it.

One of my favorite starters of all time -- the House Terrine -- is sadly gone.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, it would have gone right back if it were served to me. I'm highly allergic to bell peppers and have NEVER even seen a recipe for beef strogonoff that contains them (I collect cook books and cook quite a lot). If it's a dish I'm not certain about, I always ask if there are peppers involved but would not have ever thought to ask about beef strogonoff.

I ordered the dish on the cruise I just got home from and you wouldn't believe, but they aren't green peppers...they're pickles! They put pickles and beets in the dish. My dish didn't look like the picture posted and certainly not like my mom's beef stroganoff. There was a pork dish that was identical to it too. On a different note...one night we skipped dessert in the MDR to see what the Windjammer was offering. They ended up having the two best desserts EVER on the buffet. A blueberry banana cake and an apple crumble. If anyone knows how to get recipes for ship dishes that aren't in the cookbook, please pass along the secret!

LOL..In my dreams. Right now I still have this thing called 'work' which limits my time away...oh..and I also have this kid :D who is in college which limits my funds. But some day...oh some day I will take multiple cruises in a year < SIGH > ...

I have the same things holding me back:rolleyes:....But some day...oh some day:)

I am the same...I like creme brulee, but HATE coconut.

One night at dinner, I didn't order any dessert, but our server thought I should have something. He talked me into trying the coconut creme brulee because he told me you could barely taste any coconut in it (I had mentioned to him I don't like coconut.)

He convinced me to try it.

He was right. I couldn't taste any of the coconut. :confused:

Interesting. Thanks! I may try it next time then. Maybe order that and something else, just in case *sly smile*

Archived