Air Tran 737-700 Row 14 No Window

legalwife

Wish I hadn't been in a hurry and had taken the time to go to seatgurudotcom rather than trusting Airtran's diagram. Row 14 which is sold as a window seat has no window. Was there yesterday with child kicking back of my seat most of flight and large man reclined in front of me. Felt like sardine. Raised the window shade about 3 inches (just to see out a peek)of the one in front of me that was about 4 inches back toward my seat and 20-something man promptly snapped it right down. Flight attendant walked by several times and smiled sympathetically at me. Asked mother nicely to please have son try not to kick my seat. She stopped him once or twice but gave up. I know it is hard for child to sit still but this child was definitely in control.

Main reason for post is Row 14 no window advisement. Karma will get the other folks. :)

Oh. I did call Air Tran and was told by agent that she "was unable to change the airplane configuration". I told her I thought is was kind of rude to say that as that is not what I was asking. She did acknowledge that these were sold as window seats.

Oh well. Hope this helps somebody else with the window. Kids and semi-adult rudeness is just luck of the draw.

I did call Air Tran and was told by agent that she "was unable to change the airplane configuration". I told her I thought is was kind of rude to say that as that is not what I was asking. She did acknowledge that these were sold as window seats.
I'm not sure why you were calling AirTran about this. The A and F seats on a 737 are always described as "window seats" because they're by the sidewall of the aircraft. That's never included any promise that there will be a window that you can control. The fact that some "window seats" are actually next to window blanks is widely known, and publicised on sites like http://www.seatguru.com and http://www.seatexpert.com - as you know. It always pays to check.

I'm not sure why you were calling AirTran about this. The A and F seats on a 737 are always described as "window seats" because they're by the sidewall of the aircraft. That's never included any promise that there will be a window that you can control. The fact that some "window seats" are actually next to window blanks is widely known, and publicised on sites like http://www.seatguru.com and http://www.seatexpert.com - as you know. It always pays to check.

I contacted Airtran because I felt and still feel it is wrong to describe these as window seats when there is no window - just the "sidewall". A "sidewall" is not a window.

Perhaps this is "widely known" by many, but I hope that those of us who are not in the "widely known" group will benefit from my post.

I agree completely that seatguru would have been beneficial had I know the aircraft was allowing me to choose a "sidewall seat" rather than a true "window seat" as stated.

Won't happen again - this is for sure.

I am curious as to what exactly you said to the agent to prompt that type of response from her. It's actually kind of funny.

Funny now, but rude and poor comment from Customer Service. I called to ask her why it showed a window seat when there was no window. Explained how much I enjoy my window when flying. She offered to refund my $15.00 seat fee and I said that was not necessary as flight was done but I just wondered why it was like this. She said that they do sell some window seats that are not actually window seats. I told her that that was kind of misleading. She then said "what did I want her to do - that she could not change the aircraft configuration.

I agree!

I've just done a dummy booking on AirTran's website and can't actually see anywhere that this seat is described as a "window seat", nor does the aircraft diagram show any windows.

When you are making the booking, you can click where it says "window seat". It does bring up the whole seat assignment and not just the window seats.

If you look at Row 14, you would not think that it has a sidewall there and no window. Perhaps you have been on many, many more airplanes than I have, and I have been on quite a few, but my common sense would tell me there is a window there. Also, for it to be sold as a preferred seat with no window is kind of odd to me.

Also, the person that I spoke with at Airtran also told me that seats that were not window seats are sold as such. She is an Airtran employee and told me this.

Last of all as I said previously, I posted this so that someone who does not know about sidewalls and non-true window seats and does not have someone with your vast knowledge to advise them prior to booking might not be in the situation as I was. I hope I have helped someone else.

Last of all as I said previously, I posted this so that someone who does not know about sidewalls and non-true window seats and does not have someone with your vast knowledge to advise them prior to booking might not be in the situation as I was. I hope I have helped someone else.

I'm sure your post has helped someone. Not everyone is a frequent flyer, and it is very easy to see how someone who isn't would assume every seat along the outside is a "window" seat and then be disappointed when they encounter what you did. :)

Funny now, but rude and poor comment from Customer Service. I called to ask her why it showed a window seat when there was no window. Explained how much I enjoy my window when flying. She offered to refund my $15.00 seat fee and I said that was not necessary as flight was done but I just wondered why it was like this. She said that they do sell some window seats that are not actually window seats. I told her that that was kind of misleading. She then said "what did I want her to do - that she could not change the aircraft configuration.

Why didn't you take the refund! (or did you?)

Wish I hadn't been in a hurry and had taken the time to go to seatgurudotcom rather than trusting Airtran's diagram. Row 14 which is sold as a window seat has no window. Was there yesterday with child kicking back of my seat most of flight and large man reclined in front of me. Felt like sardine. Raised the window shade about 3 inches (just to see out a peek)of the one in front of me that was about 4 inches back toward my seat and 20-something man promptly snapped it right down.

Globaliser is correct; it was sold as a window seat because the inside seat of the plane against the aircraft wall is the window seat, whether or not there is an actual window. Seatguru clearly states there is no window at seat 14A (and 14F). I also don't see why you refused the refund.

I sympathize with you about the shade incident, but the window shade is controlled by the person whose seat is at that window.

Personally, I prefer the aisle seat.

Globaliser is correct; it was sold as a window seat because the inside seat of the plane against the aircraft wall is the window seat, whether or not there is an actual window. Seatguru clearly states there is no window at seat 14A (and 14F). I also don't see why you refused the refund.

I sympathize with you about the shade incident, but the window shade is controlled by the person whose seat is at that window.

Personally, I prefer the aisle seat.

Which is why I said I wished I had not been in a hurry and had gone to seatguru which "clearly states there is no window" which is still wrong in my opinion for the airline site not to state this when booking.

Not sure how wide the window is and I am sure some of you will know this, but as I said it was about four inches past the back of his seat which was in my row. He also had his "true" window in front to this window so he basically had a window and a half.

I personally prefer being able to look out the window and see the land beneath us as we fly. I would choose the aisle if I was claustrophobic or had to go to the bathroom frequently but that is not me.

Did not take the refund as I was done with the issue. Did not care about the money end, just was trying to understand why this is done which is why I called. I am also done with the post and appreciate those of you trying to help me understand, but I still stick with my original thoughts and am signing off of notifications. Thanks for your comments.

I'm sure your post has helped someone. Not everyone is a frequent flyer, and it is very easy to see how someone who isn't would assume every seat along the outside is a "window" seat and then be disappointed when they encounter what you did. :)

I agree!! Thanks for posting. I sometimes come here to get help, but hate to ask a question for fear of the "frequent flyer" responses.

It helped me...i do fly often, but by no means am i a power-flyer as some people are...and i don't always have time to do my due diligence...so i shall make a mental note that if i book AirTran in the future....."something is wacky about some seats..so go check,......cause you read about legalwife's issue...":p

It helped me...i do fly often, but by no means am i a power-flyer as some people are...and i don't always have time to do my due diligence...so i shall make a mental note that if i book AirTran in the future....."something is wacky about some seats..so go check,......cause you read about legalwife's issue...":p

It's not just AirTran. Other airlines may have planes configured such that some "window" seats do not have access to an actual window. It's always a good idea to check seatguru or seatexpert before making a seat selection. Then be aware that an equipment swap can occur at the last moment and your new seat assignment may have an unpleasant surprise such as no window, no recline or next to the lav. The purchaser must always be proactive in protecting their own flight experience.

Archived