Strange Laundry Question

Boo2

Ok, this might sound a bit odd but I don't have much experience with the laundry facilities on the cruises I've been on.

My hubby and I are booked on our first B2B and of course, I want to conserve luggage space. I'm thinking of taking enough clothes for the first week and sending much of it to the laundry at the end of the cruise so that I can wear it again the second week.

I have quite a bit of Lululemon Athletica wear that I use for both working out and casual day wear. It can be washed and put in the dryer but both on a delicate cycle and without any fabric softener. However, all of the tags with the washing instructions have been removed.

Do they actually check washing instructions for the things they wash or just assume that everything goes in the washer and dryer? If I included instructions with my laundry on how I want it done, will they actually follow my instructions or disregard them? Like I said, this may sound a bit odd but my "Lulus" are pretty expensive and I don't want them ruined in the laundry.

Usually before the end of the cruise there is a special offered. However, that would mean they might be busy and wouldn't pay special attention to what you want done. I would send out one piece early in the cruise and see how it comes back. I sent a favorite Tshirt (Zenergy) out and they wrote the cabin number on the label with a purple pen that bled, staining the back of the shirt. I was not happy, but I got it out mostly with alcohol when I got home.

I would not plan on having your special instructions read or followed. I would not send anything very expensive to their commercial laundry. They do a fine job with ordinary cotton t-shirts, slacks, etc. but something that needs special care might (or might not) be beyond them, and you wouldn't want to find out the hard way that they can't do it to your satisfaction.

In my experience they don't read labels and put every thing through a hot tumble as I've had things shrink a little. I haven't tried putting specific instructions on to see if they would do on a delicate cycle if asked - might try this next week but I'm not too optimistic!

I wear Lululemon too and I would NOT trust the ship to launder it. In fact, I get inexpensive clothes from Target and Walmart to take on cruises so if my baggage gets lost - I don't care! LOL! I do bring a few Chico's traveler's pieces and have not had trouble with those being laundered. But then, if something did happen, they are easily replaced, too.

There is a place for special instructions but DO NOT expect them to follow it. It took me over a month to have my claim paid for a delicate item that was ruined in the laundry, despite my clarifying with the stateroom attendant that there were special instructions on the slip.

Celebrity did pay for the ruined item since it was a recent purchase and I had a receipt but I would rather they had just not put it in the dryer as I requested.

I don't want to send anything to laundry again because they faded all the dark items and I'm sure they were washed and dried in very hot water. It ruined some things, but I didn't do anything because they weren't new, just well cared for - always washed on cold and dried on low. Don't trust anything that needs special care. I'll only send my white cotton bras and underwear and I have very few of those and maybe my jeans if I take them because they stretch out so fast.

I think they do a great job with laundry at very reasonable prices for any item that is machine wash and dry and where cycle or heat is not important. I send all those items to the laundry with no problem.

I hand wash all my undergarments and I am careful only to bring items that if hand laundered in the sink will drip dry and still look good.

So I am reading a lot of reviews that aren't really providing positive feedback on the laundry services.

What do you think about the dry cleaning? Any experiences? From what I can see, it's not really much more to have an item dry cleaned.

Thanks!

We've been sending our laundry out for several years. I don't send out underthings (soap allergy), but have never had a problem with shirts and pants. Mostly cottons or blends - and dryer safe. I do not send anything delicate. If you're reluctant to send things out without a lot of special instructions - I wouldn't send it.

We have used the dry cleaning several times. In fact, we pack the tux dirty - and send it out right away.

The only 'laundry' you can do on Celebrity is handwashing stuff in the sink. Done that to swimsuits, socks and such. Princess has laundromats on various decks, but not Celebrity......thankfully. I know, very subjective - we go on vacation to not cook, clean or do our laundry except a pair of socks or so!

I once came up with a 'grand vaction' of renting a boat on the Shannon River in Ireland which they'd provision for us and we'd cruise up and down the river! My wife reminded me I'd not have much time to do anything since I'd be running the ship, cleaning it, making our beds, cooking and doing the laundry........decided to take a cruise instead and here we are addicted cruisers! She's so unreasonable about me relaxing on 'our' vacation and she doing all the work she does at home.

Den

Archived