Regent vs Oceania

Naper

I look at the Oceania brochures when they arrive (approximately four times a week... :p) and some of the itineraries look nice, but I can't make the money make sense. To match Regent's accommodations, you have to go UP several categories on Oceania, and then you don't have the all-inclusive features. I can't make it add up to be advantageous for us over Regent.

I look at the Oceania brochures when they arrive (approximately four times a week... :p) and some of the itineraries look nice, but I can't make the money make sense. To match Regent's accommodations, you have to go UP several categories on Oceania, and then you don't have the all-inclusive features. I can't make it add up to be advantageous for us over Regent.

I believe the only way to make it advantageous to sail Oceania is if you go to one of their smaller cabins and use their free coach air. That should work for the majority of the people looking at trying Oceania. If we needed to look at some less expenses cruises, we'd definitely include Oceania and Azamara. Thankfully, we can continue with Regent for a while.

We did the Baltic on Oceania. The sailing they offered was 14 days and included ports Regent was not doing. Our fare for a Concierge was the same as Regents 7 day. We used our own air (Bus Class by miles). We booked private tours. This is pre included Regent Tours. It was a great experience and probably one of our very favorite cruises. From the financial perspective - it was definitely worthwhile. The cabin was smaller but it was a port intensive cruise and we were quite happy.

Count_Florida's comparison is accurate and fair. Oceania internet access is dreadful; we solve that simply by not using it. We're retired so don't need it for business, we can use internet access in the ports to check bank accounts and pay bills, and our family knows they will hear from us (at length!) once we return. We've had the supplies laptop (it's also supplied to concierge in a standard balcony cabin) but have never turned it on. I always bring my own so I can play Solitaire, download photos and keep a journal without incurring costs. In these days of I-Pads, most people would follow that practice.

The comparison between suites on Regent and a penthouse on Oceania us also accurate; we solve that by refusing to pay extra for a penthouse -- we've never had a problem with the standard cabins on any Oceania ship. We even booked an Ocean View (no balcony) cabin for Riviera's Maiden Voyage next April, because an Eastern Mediterranean cruise is so port intensive one rarely has a chance to enjoy a balcony. The cost differential between a penthouse and a standard cabin is by far enough to cover excursions and drinks. Of course, on Oceania, with a penthouse, you also get a butler (for what that is worth) in all categories, unlike the lower suites on Regent.

Food is such a subjective discussion, but we find the variety of menu choices somewhat greater on Oceania than on Regent. We also enjoy Toscana, the Italian specialty restaurant on O much more than Signatures on R. Polo and Prime 7 are very similar; I might give the edge to Prime 7. And, of course, on the newbuilds (Marina and soon Riviera), Jacques (the French country restaurant named for Jacques Pepin) and Red Ginger (the Asian restaurant, predominantly Thai) are really exceptional, and included in the fare as with Regent. If you do opt for a penthouse suite or better on O, you have the choice of in-suite dining from any or all of the restaurants (mix and match), unlike Regent.

Contrary to what has often been reported, I've never had a problem with getting special food requests on Oceania, although I've never requested an entire special menu. I've found that as long as the items are available they will bring them. I have a close friend on Oceania who claims it's necessary to tip the maitre 'd to get additional specialty reservations. I never do and get as many extra reservations. I chide him that "perhaps it's the way you ask ;)".

I absolutely agree with Count_Florida about small add-on charges, such as internet fees, resort fees and more, not because of the amounts involved, but because of the principle involved. On our 4 month RV journey this Summer, we refused to stay in several RV Parks which charged a nominal fee for the use of showers.

I fall into the camp of those who love the free excursions and open bar policies of Regent. In fact, whenever a Regent cruise approaches the price of a standard cabin on Oceania (which sometimes happens in the Caribbean, for example), I always choose the Regent cruise. On Oceania, I consider carefully which excursions I will add, while on Regent I gleefully add every excursion I can get. On Oceania, I rarely get an adult beverage because of my tightwad nature, while on Regent I never think about cost. It's that freedom from considering cost that I most like about Regent, along with the social smoothness of not being obliged to "buy a round".

However, if the cost of a Regent cruise exceeds the fares on an Oceania cruise plus limited excursions and drinks, I will always choose Oceania. the service is as good, the policies are largely the same, the food (by most accounts) is at least as good and perhaps better, the ambiance is at least as good, and my travel companions seem to be a bit more "down to earth" than on Regent.

T-cat, I haven't tried Azamara so can't comment. We were going to try it shortly after Celebrity announced the new line, but I read a negative piece by someone I knew and respected and dropped the idea. We were planning on trying Seaborne and Silversea about the time, anyway; still haven’t gotten to Seaborne. Given the right opportunity, cost and itinerary, we’ll probably try each of them. Do you know how (and what) Azamara charges for internet access? After getting whammed by what I consider to be excessive charges at two relatively high-cost ‘luxury’ hotels, we will not stay where they gouge any longer; end of story!

Example: Recently we stayed, not in a standard (kind of tight) room in the luxury hotel where the wedding reception was held, but rather in a two-room suite at nearby mid-priced long-term stay motor inn with breakfast, internet and self-parking included. The rate was about 2/3s of the luxury place’s, and they also charged for each of those three ‘extras’, excessively in my opinion. We did have to carry (wheel) our own bags from car to room and back out, and walk about a block and a half each way to the reception, but our room was larger and nicer, we had two good-size TVs, a big well-lighted desk with excellent internet access, convenient self-parking, and our total bill was less than half one of my siblings at the other place! And they went out to breakfast after the $47.+ charge the first morning! Don’t get me started!

TT, our plans are in flux at the moment – age, illness and uncertainty are all confronting us simultaneously. When I booked and pushed for that east coast – Bermuda cruise to be FUN III, I didn’t stop to think we would be calling in a couple of the most desirable ports, Charleston and Savannah, on our CANADA to FLL cruise on the Navigator next month. But Pat and I both love Bermuda (we honeymooned there 46+ years ago) and would like to go back again. At this point, we have nothing else scheduled, except loads of doctor visits, tests and treatments, from the end of October to the beginning of next July. We’ll see; we’d enjoy meeting you as well.

We sailed Azamara right after Celebrity acquired the 2 ships and enjoyed our cruise. We sailed the Quest again in March after the "revamping" of the Azamara Line to Azamara Club Cruises. WOW!! incredible difference - I didn't think it could get better but it sure did. Liberal free pours of wine (usually port specific) with lunch and dinner, free shuttles at most ports, free laundry, fantastic crew and very visible Captain and Officers. Just compare the reviews between Azamara and Oceania. I would very much one day like to try Regent and that is why I lurk on this board:o

I agree about the Azamara wines - they were a mixture of interesting wines and plonk. Everything is very local -they pick up local wines, local fish etc. While Regent used to have some nice wines as included pours I find that changing in the last year or two.

Azamara also has a couple of wines at half price each day .

TT, our plans are in flux at the moment – age, illness and uncertainty are all confronting us simultaneously. When I booked and pushed for that east coast – Bermuda cruise to be FUN III, I didn’t stop to think we would be calling in a couple of the most desirable ports, Charleston and Savannah, on our CANADA to FLL cruise on the Navigator next month. But Pat and I both love Bermuda (we honeymooned there 46+ years ago) and would like to go back again. At this point, we have nothing else scheduled, except loads of doctor visits, tests and treatments, from the end of October to the beginning of next July. We’ll see; we’d enjoy meeting you as well.

Well, then, I shall be keeping my fingers crossed for you that all goes well with your doctor visits and treatments, that your health issues are resolved, and that we will see you onboard the Navigator in April. Until then, enjoy your CANADA cruise!:)

Linda, I'm with you on this one. I have as of yet to find an Oceania cruise that can beat Regent's prices when you take into account the accommodations. Some people might think comparing cabins that differ by 20-85 square feet to be a reasonable comparison, but I do not. In fact, not too long ago Regent's marketing department tried this same tactic, in reverse, when comparing one of their standard suites with a suite on HAL...the HAL suite had much more square footage (and was laid out better), but Regent made the comparison as if they were equal. It might not matter to many folks, but I don't think I'd ever book a smaller cabin on Oceania (especially not one with only 216 square feet) and then claim that I got a better deal than on Regent, just because the price was less.

I'd love to try either Azamara or Oceania some time, but I think the majority here have it pegged: IFF you are willing to settle for a small cabin, then either one will be cheaper than Regent, as long as you keep the onboard expenses down. Of course, on the Marina and soon Riviera, there are some more cabin choices than there were on the old R ships. I'd love to try Marina since the Veranda staterooms seem a fairly decent size for us.

By the way, despite having approximately 50% more space on paper, the standard cabins on Marina (and soon Riviera, they are the same deck plans) are not really appreciably larger than the standard cabins on the R ships. Most of the increased space is in the bathrooms, which now have both a tub and a shower, but the showers are small and any tub, in MY opinion, is a useless waste of space. The floor space in the bath is somewhat larger but still not large enough for two people, thus unnecessary.

The living area of the cabin is slightly larger, allowing for a real chair at the desk/vanity and a larger ta ble, but the space between the foot of the bed and the wall is still barely adequate. Factor in that the closets are more difficult to use, and the standard cabins on the Marina class only marginally improved over the R ships.

I'm not complaining, just trying to establish realistic expectations.

I have not sailed in a penthouse on Marina but I am familiar with them, and they are very nice -- slightly larger than most Regent suites, with a more useful closet than the standard cabins (but still not a true walkin like Voyager), a larger shower than the standard cabins and a more visual separation between sleeping and lounging areas, but no actual curtain to close off the sleeping area.

I have 34 nights aboard Marina and am happy to answer any specific questions.

Have to disagree about the closet on the Marina PH. I found it the most comfortable and useful closet of any non premium suite I have ever sailed in. It is most definitely walk-in with a full wall of shoe racks so you don't have to spread your shoes all over the floor. Plus all the hanging racks are full length not stacked. Plus I love entering from the middle so you have access to everything at sight. jmo.

We have been on the Voyager 2 times and have loved it. We are considering an Oceania cruise on the Marina in the penthouse category. Has anyone stayed in the Oceania Marina penthouse? How do they pour the drinks? Are they generous or will we spend a fortune on liquor as we like our wine and cocktails? The ports and prices are very similar so that won't determine which line we choose.

I am really curious why you are considering a penthouse on the Marina -- especially since there is not much of a price difference. From what I have seen, the Marina is truly gorgeous. . . . but, you cannot eat or drink the ambience. Keep in mind the tipping aspect of Oceania as well. I believe the tip is added to every drink bill you sign (this is second hand information -- a close friend has been on Oceania while we have not).

If you would like a real treat sometime, try out the Mariner penthouse suites. While we prefer the Voyager suites in general, the Mariner penthouse suites are large and the public areas on the Mariner are spacious and beautiful (unfortunately, the extra public space on the Mariner came from the regular suites that are smaller than the Voyager). You can also book a beautil aft suite on the Mariner without fear of vibration.

As I mentioned earlier, my friend found their martini's (not the doubles during Happy Hour) to be "thimble size).

Whichever cruise line you decide upon, have a great cruise!

The PH on Oceania Marina looks immense to me.

Wendy, it is huge. That is why I compare the Mariner PH suite with Oceania (just about equal cost). The Mariner PH suites are 449 sq. ft. (includes balcony) while the Oceania Marina is 420 (assuming it includes balcony -- for some reason it doesn't spell it out). I simply cannot justify adding the cost of tips and drinks on top of the Oceania cost. It just doesn't work for me.

Sometimes an excellent and unique itinerary can make the difference in choosing which line to book and Oceania has some terrific ones. I agree that the cost of a PH on O equals a regular suite on R and I would never sail on O in anything but a PH but personally, no matter how good any cruise line is I like a bit of variety and get bored sailing the same line over and over knowing exactly what to expect every step of the way.jmo.

Sometimes an excellent and unique itinerary can make the difference in choosing which line to book and Oceania has some terrific ones. I agree that the cost of a PH on O equals a regular suite on R and I would never sail on O in anything but a PH but personally, no matter how good any cruise line is I like a bit of variety and get bored sailing the same line over and over knowing exactly what to expect every step of the way.jmo.

I understand what you're saying about variety, although we do enjoy looking forward to specific things on Regent that we know will always be there. Still, we sailed Silversea a couple of times in the past year and found them to be excellent. If the right itinerary (and airfare cost) showed up on Seabourn we would give them a try. I'm just not sure if jumping from luxury all-inclusive to being nickled and dimed on a non-luxury line would be an option for us. (jmo)

TC, "nickled and dimed" is an unfair characterization of Oceania. You get nickled and dimed on mass market ships when you have to pay for specialty restaurants, sodas, decent coffee, and all the other things they charge to make up for their low fares. On mass market ships you get pressured to buy drinks and overwhelmed with photo taking and sales, and have to endure annoying art auctions (which are also still present on Regent).

On Oceania, the only thing you have to pay for are alcoholic drinks and excursions, and the latter should suit you perfectly. You will never be pressured to buy a drink -- in lounges, they politely ask you once and if you say "no", they place and upside down paper coaster in front of you as a signal and never ask again, unless you change your mind and wave them down.

So, if paying for an occasional adult beverage is your idea of "nickle and diming", you're entitled to your opinion. If you fall into that group of the Regent Old Guard who thinks that Regent should go back to charging for alcoholic beverages, then Oceania is your perfect refuge.

I simply want a luxury all-inclusive experience and do not want to think about signing and tipping every time one of us would like another glass of wine at dinner. IMO it disrupts the flow of conversation. Besides, as Regent cruisers, we are all paying a lot of money for the luxury of not having to think about these minor issues. Okay -- so I'm spoiled for a few weeks out of the year. . . . I admit it.

If there are a group of Regent cruisers who are in favor of going back to paying for drinks, they have not made themselves known on the boards. This is the first I've heard of it.

P.S. It's 1:30 a.m. your time. . . . don't you ever sleep?;)

Regent cruisers hardly have to "endure" the art auctions, Don. Nobody forces you to go, and their presence onboard is very low-key.

I'm with Jackie on signing--yes we are spoiled, but love not having to sign chits or worry about tipping--god knows how we'd fare on a mass-market line.

Hey, I like the no-signing thing on Regent, myself -- although it's hardly intrusive the way it's handled on Oceania. By the way, there is no "tipping" in an intrusive manner -- it's simply added automatically to the chit one signs once.

But, whether to sign a chit or not is considerably different than the impression left by the phrase, "nickle and diming".

As for the art auctions, everyone cheered when they were removed from Oceania.

And, Jackie, it is right here on CC that I've read many comments about how Radisson charged for adult beverages and some folks wish they woulod go back to that. Surely you could not have missed those comments...

...Here's one quick quote: "I do miss Radisson and what the line once was. I would gladly trade in the free shore excursions and alcohol for the corporate culture of the past."

I remember our first two Radisson cruises on the Paul Gauguin. On our first trip our bar bill was $5--and David went out of his way to pay for that drink one day in La Palette. Freely-flowing wine and beer at lunch and dinner, and a cocktail party of some kind every day, and of course the in-suite setup.

And I remember David's shock shortly after we boarded Diamond in Athens in 2004. He ordered a beer, and it came along with a chit to sign. He was not a happy camper, despite the beautiful ship and surroundings. So we were very pleased when cocktails became complimentary--and the lounges flled up too, which made meeting people easier and more fun.

Regent cruisers hardly have to "endure" the art auctions, Don. Nobody forces you to go, and their presence onboard is very low-key.

I'm with Jackie on signing--yes we are spoiled, but love not having to sign chits or worry about tipping--god knows how we'd fare on a mass-market line.

We were on the Navigator for 12 nights in May 2011. I was surprised that Regent still had the dreaded art auctions. You are right that no one forces you to go but.....On a cruising day when the weather wasn't conducive to sitting on our veranda or outside on deck....Deck 6 was full of art being displayed everywhere. It felt more like a mass market line than a luxury line.

With regards to tipping:whether we are on Regent, Silversea or Seabourn, we always tip extra for great service. Our travel agent gets the gratuities included on Oceania. So the only extras that we are paying for on Oceania would be the shore excursions and alcohol. One pays up front on Regent and one pays at the end on Oceania.

It is nice not to have to sign for drinks but it is not that big of a deal on Oceania. Oceania does not "nickel and dime" you as Travelcat2 seems to imply on this board.

Hey, I like the no-signing thing on Regent, myself -- although it's hardly intrusive the way it's handled on Oceania. By the way, there is no "tipping" in an intrusive manner -- it's simply added automatically to the chit one signs once.

But, whether to sign a chit or not is considerably different than the impression left by the phrase, "nickle and diming".

As for the art auctions, everyone cheered when they were removed from Oceania.

And, Jackie, it is right here on CC that I've read many comments about how Radisson charged for adult beverages and some folks wish they woulod go back to that. Surely you could not have missed those comments...

...Here's one quick quote: "I do miss Radisson and what the line once was. I would gladly trade in the free shore excursions and alcohol for the corporate culture of the past."

"nickle and diming" is a phrase used by friends when they completed their first Oceania cruise a few months ago. It is what they felt so I cannot argue. It was one of the many reasons we cancelled the maiden voyage of the Riviera.

Yes -- there have been occasional comments that people wish things were the way they were under Radisson. I thought you meant that there was a large group of passengers writing to Regent or posting in the hopes of getting included alcohol reversed. Some people who do not drink alcohol feel they are paying for those that do. . . but that is another thread -- one that has been done before.

I also loved the corporate culture of the past. As has been pointed out to me previously, the money wasn't there to take care of the ships. I'm not sure what would have happened to the ships without the money from PCH/Apollo. They are doing an amazing job of keeping the ships looking better than ever and deserve full credit for that.

Regarding the horrible, awful, demeaning, ugly, distruptive (etc.) art auctions. You may know more about this than I do. It seems that Regent is still under contract with them while Oceania is not. I would think that Regent could get out of the contract with Park West now that it has been proven that they have sold fake prints ( http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=11&int_new=38076&int_modo=1 ).

I have to completely agree with Hondorner here. There is absolutely no nickel and diming on Oceania. Everything is very low key. And everything other than alcohol and gratuities is included. I don't pretend that I like to sign for drinks but to have three meals at Red Ginger and four at Jacques more than makes up for that imo. and there's nothing like Barristas on any luxury line including the coffee bar at Seabourn Square. As I said it's a different mindset but please don't think O is anything like Carnival or RCCL where they truly nickel and dime you to death.

Archived