Need ideas on how to surprise one w a cruise

Pjsgal

We are going on the carnival magic in April 2012. Need ideas on how to surprise my df w cruise. Final payment date is 2/7. So I was thinking valentines but maybe Christmas so there will be enough time for him to put in for vacation

But I need actual ideas on how to do it

Kristy

Past cruise

Monarch of The Seas 11/12/10

You could get a little toy cruise ship and wrap it up as a Christmas present. Then, after he opens it, you could get all coy and sweet-like, and purr something like "How would you like to go on a real one?"

I would do Christmas, not Valentine's Day. After all, there's always the chance he can't get off work, and if you wait until after final payment is due, you can't get your money back. Assuming he can go, you can use Valentine's Day to go out to a nice dinner and talk about all the fun things you're going to be doing on the cruise.

You could get a little toy cruise ship and wrap it up as a Christmas present. Then, after he opens it, you could get all coy and sweet-like, and purr something like "How would you like to go on a real one?"

I would do Christmas, not Valentine's Day. After all, there's always the chance he can't get off work, and if you wait until after final payment is due, you can't get your money back. Assuming he can go, you can use Valentine's Day to go out to a nice dinner and talk about all the fun things you're going to be doing on the cruise.

Good idea, bus man...check out 'carnival ship model' on ebay. There are a variety of Carnival items, including an inflatable ship for $9.95. I would definitely spring the surprise early, not waiting until after final payment. You could give him a few items to unwrap, such as a Carnival brochure (showing the ship and itinerary), sun lotion, a new bathing suit, a book, etc. etc. Have fun! :)

Having been a "boss" for a lot of years, I'm not sure how receptive I would have been to a "friend" or significant other calling me to schedule time off for my employee. There as some possible legal issues surrounding such a call. Depending on the type of job and the job environment, this could go several ways. I think I would spring the surprise on my friend and let him deal with his work. JMHO:rolleyes:

Why would you think that?

Yes I was being serious. Since it IS a surprise. I wouldn't do it until around Christmas. And then not tell him till later

Well, if you are serious then I apologize. I never thought anyone would consider contacting someone else's boss to ask for vacation time.

I would strongly urge you to not do this....especially since it's a new position. And even more so if he's still at the probation period.

I think the best thing is to tell him earlier so he has enough time to prepare accordingly.

Well, if you are serious then I apologize. I never thought anyone would consider contacting someone else's boss to ask for vacation time.

If it were requested by a spouse and under the 'right' circumstances (impossible for me to do for my DH with his work), I can see it. In fact on our first cruise we met a woman who had surprised her husband for his 40th birthday with a 7 nt. southern Caribbean cruise. She had the time off approved by his boss, and then she feigned illness the day before the cruise, staying home to pack for the two of them while he went alone to a black tie event that evening. The next morning a limo arrived at their home and took them to the airport. Landing in Charlotte for their layover flight the man was so excited, telling her he'd "always wanted to see North Carolina." She said "no honey, we have another plane to catch" and off they flew to San Juan. He still didn't know they were going on a cruise until they arrived at the pier, and he was surprised every morning- waking up in a new port since he didn't know our itinerary. :D

I agree with a previous poster, Christmas might be too late to ask for time off. At my job there are limits to the number of people that can be off at certain times of the year. Is it Spring Break where you are? Other employees with families might be taking the time off. Is there a way to spring the surprise on your DF now?

As to talking to the boss, if the person was a long time employee I think it would be OK, but since it's a new job I wouldn't do it. Plus I would actually speak with the boss, not email.

Good luck with the surprise! :)

I surprised my husband last Christmas with a cruise in March 2011. I made him a scrap book with pictures of the ship, pictures of the ports and our itinerary. His reaction was absolutely priceless! He was happy I told him in advance since he also needed to plan his days off with his boss, and he had time to be excited for it.

Since it's a new job, would it be tooooo much if I emailed the boss for approval?

Yes, it would be too much and highly inappropriate to contact his boss about vacation time. Wanting to surprise your DF with a cruise is lovely, but he needs to know about it before final payment. With a new job especially, he may have issues getting the time off without as much advance notice as possible. He should be allowed the pleasure of anticipating and planning for the cruise with you. There's also the possibility that the timing or cruise you selected will not work for him. Best to know that when there's enough time to cancel and rebook if necessary.

beachchick

Yes, it would be too much and highly inappropriate to contact his boss about vacation time. Wanting to surprise your DF with a cruise is lovely, but he needs to know about it before final payment. With a new job especially, he may have issues getting the time off without as much advance notice as possible. He should be allowed the pleasure of anticipating and planning for the cruise with you. There's also the possibility that the timing or cruise you selected will not work for him. Best to know that when there's enough time to cancel and rebook if necessary.

beachchick

Agree!!

I surprised my husband with a trip for his 50th. I did arrange for his time off of work but we both worked at the same place and I had a good relationship with his boss. I told him the night before we left by bringing the suitcases up from the basement and told him we had to pack because we were leaving in the morning for Costa Rica.

I don't see anything wrong with a phone call to his boss...but do NOT send an email. I like the idea of telling him at Christmas but what harm is there really in going ahead and contacting his boss about it now? Assuming he gets more than 10-15 days a year off I say go for it. Now if he has very limited vacation time then you should involve him in the decision as it may not be how he wants to spend his vacation time (and money, if you're expecting him to chip in for that too!)

Depends on the workplace. In my small informal office it would be fine to ask the boss if (S)he thought timing would be a problem. (Not actually booking his time off!!!)

With a small staff, my boss would appreciate the heads up!

The previous poster is correct. My work "family" would love to be in on something like this for me. BUT I know all places are not the same. Considering all, I have opted to tell him on his birthday, which is in October!

Thanks to all for your replies

The previous poster is correct. My work "family" would love to be in on something like this for me. BUT I know all places are not the same. Considering all, I have opted to tell him on his birthday, which is in October!

What a great birthday present! :D

I don't see anything wrong with a phone call to his boss...but do NOT send an email. I like the idea of telling him at Christmas but what harm is there really in going ahead and contacting his boss about it now? Assuming he gets more than 10-15 days a year off I say go for it. Now if he has very limited vacation time then you should involve him in the decision as it may not be how he wants to spend his vacation time (and money, if you're expecting him to chip in for that too!)

I respectfully disagree. There's a big difference between a spouse contacting his/her spouse's long time boss and a friend contacting another friend's brand new boss. The harm is that a new boss might not appreciate being contacted by the friend (not a spouse or family member) about a new employee having vacation. This is a new job with a no doubt established hierarchy. A new boss might wonder how dedicated and independent someone is if a new employee's friend contacts him/her (in person, phone, mail, email) about getting vacation time.

I also think he should be involved in his own vacation decisions from the beginning, regardless of how many vacation days he has. This would be especially true if he is going to be expected to chip in for the trip--IMO, it's a bad idea and could be quite harmful to a relationship to plan and book a vacation for someone and then say, "Oh, and you'll need to pay $X for it."

beachchick

Much better idea to tell him on his birthday! Now he'll get a chance to anticipate the cruise and share your excitement.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

He still didn't know they were going on a cruise until they arrived at the pier, and he was surprised every morning- waking up in a new port since he didn't know our itinerary. :D

This is similar to my plans for my wife's 50th birthday. I've told her I am taking her on a cruise, but haven't said where. :rolleyes:

Archived