st maarten

maxy35

Hi all, traveling on FOS in 2 weeks. Been to St maarten before, but only walked a short distance from ship due to wife being heavily pregnant at the time. My question is, can anyone give me best advice to get to maho beach. She wants to go see the scary plane landings!! :confused:

Hi all, traveling on FOS in 2 weeks. Been to St maarten before, but only walked a short distance from ship due to wife being heavily pregnant at the time. My question is, can anyone give me best advice to get to maho beach. She wants to go see the scary plane landings!! :confused:

As aviation nerd I eagerly await the response with you

If you are not doing any other excursions or sightseeing most people take a taxi. Some of the different tours will make a brief stop at Maho Beach but if you are looking for your own quality time watching the planes go on your own. Be sure to plan your times accordingly as far as returning to the ship because traffic can be kind of heavy in the afternoons and you have to cross a drawbridge both going and coming. Have fun!

The cheapest way to get there is to take a public bus which is a van from the town. Its $2 pp each way. Look for a sign on the front dashboard that says "MAHO/MULLET Bay. The van will drop you off in front of the Sonesta Maho beach resort. You can walk to the beach through the hotel from there.

If you have time, go to Maho Beach which is right beside there (10 walk). Its my fav beach in St. Maarten.

If it's just Maho you want to go to take a Taxi..just plan on leaving there to get back to your ship by at least 2-2:30 to avoid traffic..and then they can drop you off in town for perhaps a bit of shopping if time allows...

Be sure also to take cash for F&B purchases and your cab. The restuarant didnt take credit cards when we were there a few years ago. And most cabs are cash only. Also, when getting into a cab, be sure to agree on the fare when you set out. If they see that you have a lot of cash on you, the fare suddenly increases....if you know what I mean.

For the last couple of weeks, there have been incredible traffic problems getting from Maho through Cole Bay and back to the Phillipsburg area. Sometimes traffic is backed up from the airport to Cole Bay for 2 hours. :eek: It seems there are ongoing repairs in Cole Bay creating really bad problems, and it's not just at rush hour, it's all day. This is supposed to last for many more weeks. :(

In planing your adventures, you may have to go back through Marigot to get back to the ship. That's all the way around through the Lowlands and it can add a fair amount of time to your return. Just plan accordingly. ;)

Cruised on August 28th: We took the bus to Maho for $2 per person...and took a taxi from Maho back to the port. There are taxi drivers in orange shirts at the Sunset Bar and Grille...we agreed with $8 per person for the trip to the port. Our driver took us up to the French side of St. Maarten and then down to the port area. We avoided the traffic jam, however; it still took 1 hour to return to port. The driver was great...and gave us some info. about the island, too!

Have fun at Maho Beach!

Crystal

Archived