Are we stuck with this room?

AkAz

We've booked a trip to Hawaii on the Oosterdam, a VH guarantee, and have already had our cabin assigned (?? this is the earliest cabin assignment ever!). We ended up with a VF with the steel balcony, level 4, near the front of the ship...ugh! Are we stuck with this? Can we request a different room, somewhere better, or do they usually "upgrade"? This is sounding like a stupid question as I type it, but just wanting some input from you seasoned cruisers.

We booked through a HAL agent, fyi.

We've booked a trip to Hawaii on the Oosterdam, a VH guarantee, and have already had our cabin assigned (?? this is the earliest cabin assignment ever!). We ended up with a VF with the steel balcony, level 4, near the front of the ship...ugh! Are we stuck with this? Can we request a different room, somewhere better, or do they usually "upgrade"? This is sounding like a stupid question as I type it, but just wanting some input from you seasoned cruisers.

You rolled the dice knowing you might have gotten a VH, you know, with a curved balcony and the same metal panel. You got a slight upgrade. So, not much to complain about. You could call and see if they'd reconsider your assignment, and you might offer to pay more for an upsell.

When you book a guarantee you must be willing to accept ANY cabin on the ship in your guaranteed category or above. There is no guarantee you will love the location. You can try to get something better, but HAL is under no obligation to move you anywhere. What were you expecting and why, if I may ask? :confused:

It was a rookie mistake...I had taken a cruise previously and booked a "veranda" cabin, didn't realize there were good ones and bad ones (LOL! Hellooooo!), and ended up with a great one by accident on my first cruise.

I am a wiser cruiser...thanks for your great advice. I will call and work it out.

Heat Rises

Water Runs downhill

There is no free lunch.

This is why I always pick a specific cabin and deck for a specific cruise and ship. Too it is why I will always turn down a guarantee or ou-sell from my specific choice.

In the past I tried the guarantee... and was dissapointed, Then I failed to check the NO UPgrade box and lost a great cabin with out being asked.

While some rave and get luckey many more , I suspect get burned like I did. When I go on a cruise I want to go on a cruise and not Las Vegas craps table:rolleyes:

Thanks--like I said, I understand this better now. I was just "el stupido" as they say here on the border. :D We have taken two cruises and got very lucky both times...I really didn't understand how this all works and just thought the great-room-fairy lived on my shoulder or something.

And...I do want to add that it won't kill us to be in the room assigned...I'm grateful to be able to do this cruise and can't wait. We have fun wherever we are! (We lived on a boat in Southeast Alaska for 20 years and know that the front of the boat gets the most sea action and noise...that was my only "uh-oh" thought when we saw our room assignment.)

Really appreciate all the great feedback!

I would immediately get your TA to call HAL and ask if there are any other VF cabins available. That way you are staying in the same price category and you might have some control over your choice. As long as it is still marked that you will accept any upgrade you still might come out ahead.

Thanks--like I said, I understand this better now. I was just "el stupido" as they say here on the border. :D We have taken two cruises and got very lucky both times...I really didn't understand how this all works and just thought the great-room-fairy lived on my shoulder or something.

And...I do want to add that it won't kill us to be in the room assigned...I'm grateful to be able to do this cruise and can't wait. We have fun wherever we are! (We lived on a boat in Southeast Alaska for 20 years and know that the front of the boat gets the most sea action and noise...that was my only "uh-oh" thought when we saw our room assignment.)

Really appreciate all the great feedback!

With your attitude, I doubt anything could screw up your trip!!!

HAVE FUN!!!

Unfortunately you are basically stuck with this cabin assignment. The best you can do is call HAL since you booked direct with them to see if you can be placed back into the Guarantee Pool. The biggest problem is that there are still plenty of better category balcony cabins that are available for HAL to sell for your sailing.

In the past choosing a VH or VF guarantee has not always been that bad of a thing to do because what would happen is that HAL would wait to assign the cabin about 2 to 3 weeks out from the sailing when the majority of cabins remaining were VB and VA. At those prices many of the cabins normally do not sell because for not much more people can move up and get a SY or SS so when the balcony assignments are give many have always been the higher categories but it seems that HAL is again following Princess. I am just surprised it has taken them this long :rolleyes: In most cases Princes Guarantees are assigned soon after purchase in some cases with in a couple of days and at best the category is normally one step up, rarely is it several within that same type of cabin. We will see how this works out for HAL. What I think you will be told is if you want a higher category your can pay $XXX.XX more to go to this Balcony category. You may want to consider this option.

Having booked as a guarantee you are not able to specifically request a cabin and or location even having booked through a HAL agent.

You can either change your booking from a gauranteed cabin and book/pay for a specific cabin. This will cost you more and defeats the purpose of why you booked a guarantee in the first.

Or

You can roll the dice, give up the assignement and go back into the gaurantee pool. However it needs to be stressed that you still stand the chance of a getting a cabin/location you don't like. It might not even be a an upgrade such as the current assignment.

Unfortunately you are basically stuck with this cabin assignment. The best you can do is call HAL since you booked direct with them to see if you can be placed back into the Guarantee Pool. The biggest problem is that there are still plenty of better category balcony cabins that are available for HAL to sell for your sailing.

In the past choosing a VH or VF guarantee has not always been that bad of a thing to do because what would happen is that HAL would wait to assign the cabin about 2 to 3 weeks out from the sailing when the majority of cabins remaining were VB and VA. At those prices many of the cabins normally do not sell because for not much more people can move up and get a SY or SS so when the balcony assignments are give many have always been the higher categories but it seems that HAL is again following Princess. I am just surprised it has taken them this long :rolleyes: In most cases Princes Guarantees are assigned soon after purchase in some cases with in a couple of days and at best the category is normally one step up, rarely is it several within that same type of cabin. We will see how this works out for HAL. What I think you will be told is if you want a higher category your can pay $XXX.XX more to go to this Balcony category. You may want to consider this option.

Lesa is it normal to assign rooms in 1 category for a cruise, but leave the other category guarantees unassigned? Am asking as we have SZ guar for this same cruise and have not yet been assigned room

AkAz, as final payment is not yet due on this cruise, you can always cancel and rebook -- or change your room category if you wish unless you booked on a special rate that was non refundable and is fully paid now.

HAL is again following Princess. I am just surprised it has taken them this long :rolleyes: In most cases Princes Guarantees are assigned soon after purchase in some cases with in a couple of days and at best the category is normally one step up, rarely is it several within that same type of cabin. We will see how this works out for HAL. What I think you will be told is if you want a higher category your can pay $XXX.XX more to go to this Balcony category. You may want to consider this option.

Actually I haven't found that really to be the case on Princess. Generally I book the cheapest inside, OV or balcony and I've ended up at the top on that category every time. That said, I have never ended up in an OV when I've booked a inside....or a balcony when I booked an OV. I have had that happen or rare occasions on HAL. I was amused by a poster on a HAL Facebook roll call. He paid for an upsell on HAL and said normally that happens for free on Princess or Celebrity. That's never been the case for me. HAL does seem to be following in the footsteps of Princess in some ways.

Actually I haven't found that really to be the case on Princess. Generally I book the cheapest inside, OV or balcony and I've ended up at the top on that category every time. That said, I have never ended up in an OV when I've booked a inside....or a balcony when I booked an OV. I have had that happen or rare occasions on HAL. I was amused by a poster on a HAL Facebook roll call. He paid for an upsell on HAL and said normally that happens for free on Princess or Celebrity. That's never been the case for me. HAL does seem to be following in the footsteps of Princess in some ways.

It really depends on your Captain's Circle status:)

Gotta remember I see a lot more of these than just comparing my own ;)

Lesa is it normal to assign rooms in 1 category for a cruise, but leave the other category guarantees unassigned? Am asking as we have SZ guar for this same cruise and have not yet been assigned room

If you are talking about a Vista Class ship there are only two SZ cabins so if when you purchased and those cabins were not there then you will be assigned a SY or SS. I personally consider the SY and SS cabins to all be in great locations with just a few exceptions.

In the past choosing a VH or VF guarantee has not always been that bad of a thing to do because what would happen is that HAL would wait to assign the cabin about 2 to 3 weeks out from the sailing when the majority of cabins remaining were VB and VA. At those prices many of the cabins normally do not sell because for not much more people can move up and get a SY or SS so when the balcony assignments are give many have always been the higher categories but it seems that HAL is again following Princess. quote]

I recently booked my first HAL cruise for this December and We booked a VF guarantee. We really we Ok with any location as long as we had a veranda. The final payment is due next week and we already were assigned a VA cabin. It is a bit more forward that I might have picked if I had a choice, but I was extremely happy with the upgrade, even if I was surprised to get it this early.

I recently booked my first HAL cruise for this December and We booked a VF guarantee. We really we Ok with any location as long as we had a veranda. The final payment is due next week and we already were assigned a VA cabin. It is a bit more forward that I might have picked if I had a choice, but I was extremely happy with the upgrade, even if I was surprised to get it this early.

Do you mind sharing your sail date and ship? The reason I'm asking is that we are booked on Eurodam for a Dec 24 sail date with a VE guarantee. I just looked at our account but there is no room assignment yet. As others, I don't typically get an assignment until 10 days out but with your posting, I'm wondering if we will see one earlier!

We, too, have booked a VF guarantee for our December cruise. Made final payment to our TA earlier this week, and do not have a cabin assignment. I wasn't expecting to see one until later, but I am curious. Did HAL (or your TA) notify you that there had been a cabin assigned, or did you discover it by checking your reservation status online?

Archived