Lables- A Bit Peeved

chirpy007

before you staple them to your luggage...you reinforce them with contact paper..then you staple them on in a loop fashion...but as an extra added precaution you also punch a hole in them and tie them with a secure string:D

also..bring a personal stapler and put it in the zippered outside pocket of your luggage...put the contact papered luggage tages in your carryon

Wow, sounds like folks are going through a lot of trouble with these things! We just do the tri-fold as instructed on the print outs and borrow a stapler at the hotel and problem solved. No need to mess with fancy tape, laminating, stiff paper, etc. The tre-fold alone makes them sturdy enough.

The only luggage labels l can get are those that l have printed off myself, l then have to staple these to my luggage...whilst in the grand scheme of things not a massive problem but very irrating. As lm flying in from the UK and have two nights in NY first they cant be attached to my case and l need to bring a stapler to fix them on.

When did Princess stop sending lables ?

It's not rocket science you know! Firstly, as you say you don't have to attach them to your cases until you board the ship. and secondly you can invest in a mini stapler for a few pence, or I'm sure the hotel will let you borrow theirs. Personally, I find these print off lables much easier as you don't have to write anything on them, and if you print them on card stock, they are virtually indestrictible.

Instead of taking the roll of package sealing tape along, I fold and laminate the tags at home, and tear off a few strips of the packing tape and stick them to a piece of waxed paper. That goes in my carry-on with the prepared luggage tags. I then have all I need to attach them at the hotel without a trip to the registration desk at the hotel to borrow a stapler.

I really do not understand all of this, as we have not done luggage tags on any cruise line for the last 2 or 3 years. We just give our luggage to a dock side porter, show him our boarding pass with our room number, and then watch and make sure that he fills out the luggage tag correctly and afixes it to our luggage. This takes about 1 minute and seems less trouble than all of this "do it yourself" stuff. When we used to get printed luggage tags in the mail, we never put them on until we were going to the ship.

I really do not understand all of this, as we have not done luggage tags on any cruise line for the last 2 or 3 years. We just give our luggage to a dock side porter, show him our boarding pass with our room number, and then watch and make sure that he fills out the luggage tag correctly and afixes it to our luggage. This takes about 1 minute and seems less trouble than all of this "do it yourself" stuff. When we used to get printed luggage tags in the mail, we never put them on until we were going to the ship.

Personally, I would not allow the porter to fill out my luggage tags, that is something you are supposed to do. Just take a pen and write in your name and cabin number if you don't want to print off the tags at home.

I have never understood this huge fuss over printing off your own luggage tags to begin with. It is simple, takes only a few minutes, and even scotch tape will work for those that think they need reinforced. It just seems to me like a huge fuss over something so very simple and easy to do. But each time it is brought up, there ends up being a huge '*itch' fest over a couple of sheets of paper and attaching the tags to your luggage. I would hate to see the complaints if there were more major changes in the future, OMG! :eek:

I have never understood this huge fuss over printing off your own luggage tags to begin with. But each time it is brought up, there ends up being a huge '*itch' fest over a couple of sheets of paper and attaching the tags to your luggage. I would hate to see the complaints if there were more major changes in the future, OMG! :eek:

As usual Toto -- You are 100% correct;)

"Much Ado About Nothing"

Personally, I would not allow the porter to fill out my luggage tags, that is something you are supposed to do. Just take a pen and write in your name and cabin number if you don't want to print off the tags at home.

I have never understood this huge fuss over printing off your own luggage tags to begin with. It is simple, takes only a few minutes, and even scotch tape will work for those that think they need reinforced. It just seems to me like a huge fuss over something so very simple and easy to do. But each time it is brought up, there ends up being a huge '*itch' fest over a couple of sheets of paper and attaching the tags to your luggage. I would hate to see the complaints if there were more major changes in the future, OMG! :eek:

Some people just don't adjust well to change or progress. I am sure when hotels and cruise ships started to replace the key for room entry with a card there were complaints about that as well.

I find it incredible that so many people turn this into a gigantic arts and crafts project when it is so simple to just follow directions and staple. For a degree of extra security cover it with packing tape. For those who are kvetching about staplers, you can get a mini-stapler that will do the job for a low cost, it is small and can easily slip into your baggage and use an ounce of your baggage allowance. Paper folded as directed is quite strong.

This is definitely nothing to get your knickers in a twist over!:rolleyes:

All of you arts and crafters ought to just buy the wonderful reusable luggage tags from Serendipity that thousands of us have purchased since the onset of the do-it-yourself tags. Tags fit easily into the slots; no muss, no fuss and a one time investment. I can't give you the exact link, but with a little ingenuity you can easily find it.

The only luggage labels l can get are those that l have printed off myself, l then have to staple these to my luggage...whilst in the grand scheme of things not a massive problem but very irrating. As lm flying in from the UK and have two nights in NY first they cant be attached to my case and l need to bring a stapler to fix them on.

When did Princess stop sending labels ?

Carnival doesn't send labels, either.

Here's what I do: I fold them and cover them well with clear packing tape. I use a punch to punch a couple of holes in each end. A hole punch costs about a dollar US at the discount store. You can also buy zip ties at the discount store. I make luggage tags at home and put the tags on in case they get lost/waylaid by airlines. I also have my itinerary on top of everything inside my suitcase.

I make an extra one in case a tag gets torn off en route. I always take extra zip ties, too, and use them in lieu of luggage locks.

I must be missing something. We just went to Alaska on Sapphire Princess in July. Our TA sent us nice luggage tags about a month before the cruise.

Is the situation the OP refers to only when booking direct with the cruise line?

We were on Oasis of the Seas last November and also got tags from our TA.

I must be missing something. We just went to Alaska on Sapphire Princess in July. Our TA sent us nice luggage tags about a month before the cruise.

Is the situation the OP refers to only when booking direct with the cruise line?

We were on Oasis of the Seas last November and also got tags from our TA.

What kind of tags did you get from your TA. All Princess passengers, since end of 2009, have had to print their own. What are "nice" luggage tags?

What kind of tags did you get from your TA. All Princess passengers, since end of 2009, have had to print their own. What are "nice" luggage tags?

They were pre-printed from Princess. They were similar to what the airline puts on your luggage when you check it in - loops through the handle and then sticks to itself from the back.

We never printed anything. Maybe it is a TA thing...

They were pre-printed from Princess. They were similar to what the airline puts on your luggage when you check it in - loops through the handle and then sticks to itself from the back.

We never printed anything. Maybe it is a TA thing...

What you described are the old kind. These now have all your personal information on it. Perhaps your TA had some old ones left over, because nobody else's TA does/has this.

What you described are the old kind. These now have all your personal information on it. Perhaps your TA had some old ones left over, because nobody else's TA does/has this.

Well we just went on a cruise in July and the tags had our names and cabin number on them.

Maybe I am just lucky. We had same for our RCCL cruise in November. I am going to email him and ask.

Absolutely agree with you! At the last minute on one of our cruises we decided to check a bag through that we had initially planned to carry on, so it didn't have a luggage tag yet. The porter had extras so I asked for one so I could fill it out, but he insisted on filling it out for me and his handwriting was awful!! I didn't want to offend him since at that moment he was the person I was relying on to get our luggage on the ship, so I kept my mouth shut and hoped for the best. Our piece of luggage did find its way to our cabin, but I was a nervous wreck until it arrived. Not a great way to start a relaxing cruise!

And, we find the paper tags so easy! Folded correctly they actually seem stronger than the old flimsy tags. We have never felt a need to laminate, tape or do anything other then just fold and staple as directed. We just carry along a small stapler which I find easier than asking to use one at the hotel. Plus it has actually come in handy on our cruises a couple of times when I needed to staple something onboard.

So no worries. Whatever method you employ will be fine, just don't make it become something burdensome!

Archived