restricted diets

What A Market

Hi All

Sorry to post a question that probably has been addressed previously, but with the Search function still not working properly I am at a loss as to how to get answers.

Question:

How does AZ deal with people needing to adher to restricted diets? Specifically, I am looking for feedbeack from anyone that has experience with AZ being able to deal with gluten free diets due to Celiac Disease. Any comments on any form restricted diets though is welcome.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi All

Sorry to post a question that probably has been addressed previously, but with the Search function still not working properly I am at a loss as to how to get answers.

Question:

How does AZ deal with people needing to adher to restricted diets? Specifically, I am looking for feedbeack from anyone that has experience with AZ being able to deal with gluten free diets due to Celiac Disease. Any comments on any form restricted diets though is welcome.

Hi What A Market,

Here's a thread which should address your questions : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1462535 . If not, please let us know. I hope this helps !

Hi Kathy

Nice hearing from you. I told Sue that I am very motivated to join you guys on AZ's September 2012 cruise. Love the itinerary as well. I just need to get Heidi comfortable with AZ's ability to deal gluten free diets. We were on Oceania's Marina this past summer and they did a marvelous job with pretty much all forms of restricted diets. (At least in my opinion.) Every day a menu was delivered to Heidi for the following day and from this she selected her courses. Every meal, but one, was of equal caliber to mine.

That being said, I am definitely ready to cruise again with AZ. The Best of Italy trip we did with AZ in 2010 ranks as easily the best cruise we've ever done.

Thanks to Andy for sending me the link to the thread discussing restricted diets. Maybe Bill Lieber could provide some additional input or detail. Does AZ have a dedicated area in the kitchen to deal with restricted diets in order to avoid cross contamination? Are menus delivered to guests on the previous day to make meal selections?

As far as previous cruisers on AZ, has anybody had good or not so good experiences with restricted diets?

Thanks again.

Tom

Hi Kathy

Nice hearing from you. I told Sue that I am very motivated to join you guys on AZ's September 2012 cruise. Love the itinerary as well. I just need to get Heidi comfortable with AZ's ability to deal gluten free diets. We were on Oceania's Marina this past summer and they did a marvelous job with pretty much all forms of restricted diets. (At least in my opinion.) Every day a menu was delivered to Heidi for the following day and from this she selected her courses. Every meal, but one, was of equal caliber to mine.

That being said, I am definitely ready to cruise again with AZ. The Best of Italy trip we did with AZ in 2010 ranks as easily the best cruise we've ever done.

Thanks to Andy for sending me the link to the thread discussing restricted diets. Maybe Bill Lieber could provide some additional input or detail. Does AZ have a dedicated area in the kitchen to deal with restricted diets in order to avoid cross contamination? Are menus delivered to guests on the previous day to make meal selections?

As far as previous cruisers on AZ, has anybody had good or not so good experiences with restricted diets?

Thanks again.

Tom

Hello Tom -

Please stay tuned for more detailed information about Azamara’s gluten-free diet.

Hopefully we’ll be able to welcome you back onboard in September 2012.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

On our Azamara cruise, my husband needed both gluten free and also has a mushroom allergy. We contacted Azamara before the cruise and discussed his dietary restrictions.

Azamara was able to meet all his needs. In the buffet, someone would point out any dishes that contained mushrooms in any form. There was always gluten free bread available and other gluten free dishes available,

In the dining room, he would be given the next day's menu and one of the maitre d's would discuss which dishes would either meet his needs or could be prepared for him.

We were very happy with the service provided.

It sounds promising Tom! On this itinerary we'll probably be eating most lunches in port. It's nice to see such prompt responses to your question. I will say that our AZ Journey cruise in 2009 was our favorite of all time and we're looking forward to sailing with them again. We sailed on Celebrity Eclipse in March and it was nice but lacked the service and warmth of Azamara and we just sailed on Explorer of the Seas and it was like taking a cruise in a shopping mall. Just excited to know we'll be back on board in 365 days!

Kathy

Hi All

Question:

Hello Tom –

Of course, we will be able to accommodate your request for a gluten free diet.

According to our hotel operations vice-president, the Restaurant Manager or Food and Beverage Manager will meet personally each day with you to discuss the next day’s menu. Further, because every area in the kitchen is used for specific needs and a system is in place to avoid cross contamination, we do not have a dedicated kitchen area for preparing restricted diets.

At the outset, I suggest that when you contact our reservation department to make your booking that you ensure that your booking record includes your gluten free diet request.

As Homosassa reported about her experience they were “very happy with the service provided” for their gluten and mushroom free diet.

I do hope that we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you and Heidi onboard next September.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I have had gastric band surgery which I can eat only very small amounts at a time. On previous cruises (not with Azamara) since my surgery, my requests for reduced portions have been totally ignored. It really is frustrating for me to see all of the food being wasted as well as being a horrible temptation to indulge way beyond what I know I should. Is it really so difficult to accommodate a request of this type?

Anne

I have had gastric band surgery which I can eat only very small amounts at a time. On previous cruises (not with Azamara) since my surgery, my requests for reduced portions have been totally ignored. It really is frustrating for me to see all of the food being wasted as well as being a horrible temptation to indulge way beyond what I know I should. Is it really so difficult to accommodate a request of this type?

Anne

Hello Flcruiser46 –

When you contact our reservation department to make your reservation please be sure to advise the reservation associate to include your low-portion diet request into your booking record.

I discussed your request with our hotel operations vice-president who advised that the Restaurant Manager will meet personally each day for your comments on how the process is going.

Please keep in mind that with our medium-sized vessels (maximum guest capacity of 694) and a ratio of one staff member for every two guests, bodes well for providing you with responsive attention to your request.

We hope that we can welcome you onboard and provide you with peace of mind.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Archived