Life Jackets, bring our own

surrocruiser

We are cruising with our little guy who will be 22 months at the time of sailing. We will be doing at least one excursion that has a boat and/or water taxi.

Would you purchase and bring your own life jacket? It willtake up precious space in the luggage since we are flying and I'm just not sure if it's a necessary expense. Any thoughts or past experiences are appreciated.

I brought swim vests for my girls that they wore on tenders/water taxis and also used in the pools. They are bulky, but fit in the side pocket of a large suitcase and didn't add much weight. I figured they would at least keep my girls from immediately sinking if they accidentally ended up in the water getting on/off a tender, etc.

Best,

Mia

The lifejackets on the ship are for emergencies only...you can't take them ashore for beach days or excursions or for use in the pool (if your child is able to use the ship's pool...many are not allowed, if not potty-trained). If you need your child in a life vest, bring one.

I brought a life jacket for my son, 4 years old, to be used on tenders and water taxis. It was a real life jacket, US Coast Guard approved for his weight. There are different types. This one wasn't bulky and well worth the peace of mind.

A word of caution about swim vests: they aren't designed for life saving in an emergency and are clearly labelled as NOT approved for that purpose. What's the difference, you ask? A USCG approved life jacket is designed to keep the child's head above water. In a water emergency, the child might have passed out or might be panicked. Another concern is rough seas. A swim vest will keep your child floating, but she/he might be floating face down.

I bring my daughter's life vest every cruise. It is bulky but it doesn't weigh much. I do it primarily for tenders and other water activities where you can't be guarenteed they will have one. Plus some of the tenders I've been on the life jackets look like they have been there for ages. I feel better knowing I have one that fits her body size instead of a generic.

A word of caution about swim vests: they aren't designed for life saving in an emergency and are clearly labelled as NOT approved for that purpose. What's the difference, you ask? A USCG approved life jacket is designed to keep the child's head above water. In a water emergency, the child might have passed out or might be panicked. Another concern is rough seas. A swim vest will keep your child floating, but she/he might be floating face down.

Completely get it about swim vests. Again, I used mine on tenders, etc. so just in case my girls ended up in the water getting on or off (which is highly unlikely), they wouldn't immediately sink and could be plucked from the water. Clearly if you want to be ready for any possible emergency, you need to bring your own life jackets.

Best,

Mia

They're no more likely to fall in the water than they are to run into the road when on land. So do what you do on land, whatever that is. Reins or something.

If you've only got one tiny tot, then frankly you'd have to be pretty careless to let him fall in. Statisitcally, you'd be far better off getting him a crash helmet to wear at all times in case he fals over and bangs his head.

We take one of these for DD. She has been using one since she was about 20 months. They work great! They don't weigh much and don't take up too much room in the suitcase.

What makes them so good is that they are a US coast guard approved device and keep LO's face above water. You could use it on the tenders without worry. It is really good for swimming in the ocean too. You won't have to worry about LO going under when he has it on.

Enjoy your cruise!

I didn'tknow Puddle Jumpers were Coast Guard approved. That may definitely be an option.

I like the crash helmet idea :D

I think my biggest concern was if we take a catamaran or fishing boat type of excursion.

Puddle Jumpers are great! When DD was 2, she fell in the pool. She went under (barely) for a fraction of second, then popped right back up, face first. I was a believer after that. I think that in an emergency situation, a more serious life vest is in order Type II or III Personal floatation device (PFD). However, the Puddle Jumper does the job of keeping LO's face above water, IMO. It is considered a type III PFD.

Here is the Coast Guard PFD guide.

when we took our 4 and 3 year olds to Alaska, I brought life jackets for the whale watch excursion, and I was glad I did. The outfitter had child sized ones, but my kids were more comfortable in their "own" and I knew they were good quality. It was a small boat, and they were out on deck watching the whales the whole time.

I also took them 6 months later on a caribbean cruise for swimming/snorkeling options.... though the older one is a great swimmer, I was glad to have it while she learned to snorkel.

Here is the Coast Guard PFD guide.

corrected link: http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Pfd/PFDs.pdf

We have type III ski vest type jackets. I really like the look of the puddle jumpers though: that might be our next purchase when they outgrow the jackets.

The one thing I really like about the jackets is that they have the buckle straps all the way around, which allows me to use the Official Daddy Death Grip without making the pups uncomfortable.

~~~~~

Slightly OT, but very cute...

For the record, these are not our vests and this was before we left the dock... maybe he was mad because these were loaners??? :D

2005961270101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

The Puddle Jumpers may have worked better in this instance, but then again this was an Everglades post-cruise excursion, so I really didn't want them in the water.

They're no more likely to fall in the water than they are to run into the road when on land. So do what you do on land, whatever that is. Reins or something.

If you've only got one tiny tot, then frankly you'd have to be pretty careless to let him fall in. Statisitcally, you'd be far better off getting him a crash helmet to wear at all times in case he fals over and bangs his head.

I assume you've had "tiny tots" to chase after? So you know that an active toddler can get away from even the most vigilant parent. Let's see: Transfering from land or cruise ship to a small boat that moves while people are boarding. No matter how careful and secure, parents cannot always take care of themselves and a small child without help from the crew or other passengers. If the boat suddenly rises or falls while parents are boarding with their child, there's the risk that both the parent and the child will end up in the water. I'm sure you also know that taking a tender, boat, ferry, or water taxi carries a small risk of problems with the boat itself. It might not be a matter of letting a child fall in, but of safety during an emergency!

On land, we put children in car seats, boosters, and of course, seat belts (just like the adults) when they're old enough. We have them wear helmets when riding bikes in case they do fall on their heads. (I'm a big advocate of bicycle helmets; I might well be a widow had my hubby not been wearing his one particular day.) On land, we do our best to keep children safe and, for example, out of traffic. When we can, we minimize risks, including putting children in appropriate life vests when we take them on small boats.

beachchick

Sorry but I literally laughed out loud at your comment. I have to assume from this you don't nor have ever had toddlers?? They are FAST little things and what about those of us who have 2 or more little ones to watch after?? Even with 1 things happen and the more you have the higher the risk goes up (my idea of law of average ;))

Sorry but I literally laughed out loud at your comment. I have to assume from this you don't nor have ever had toddlers?? They are FAST little things and what about those of us who have 2 or more little ones to watch after?? Even with 1 things happen and the more you have the higher the risk goes up (my idea of law of average ;))

But the OP specifically has only 1. I never intended my reply to apply to all families of all sizes.

And if this particular 22-month-old is indeed a fast little thing that can't be trusted to hold hands or to sit still in a parent's arms, then why is it not on reins? Certainly anyone who is getting on a boat with a child that isn't old enoigh to be responsible, and yet isn't holding on to it, is very foolish indeed. But I'd go for the approach of keeping them out of the water, rather than letting them fall in and fishing them out later.

But the OP specifically has only 1. I never intended my reply to apply to all families of all sizes.

And if this particular 22-month-old is indeed a fast little thing that can't be trusted to hold hands or to sit still in a parent's arms, then why is it not on reins? Certainly anyone who is getting on a boat with a child that isn't old enoigh to be responsible, and yet isn't holding on to it, is very foolish indeed. But I'd go for the approach of keeping them out of the water, rather than letting them fall in and fishing them out later.

Sorry I missed understood. From reading your response it sounded like you were addressing the post DIRECTLY above yours and it seems the same here since they posted "plucking them out of the water". I know the person who posted that response also has twins..Not sure what you mean by "reins" but I actually did use the children's leashes on my twins at this age..no way 1 adult (myself anyway) could keep an eye on 3 toddlers and yes I got the "eye" from people who don't agree with using them but I had rather get the eye than lose one of my kids. Again, sorry I misunderstood who you were responding to.

"Reins", I dare say, is the English translation of the American leash - at any rate, it has the same effect as a dog lead. When I was of an age to wear it, it was more a full-body harness and the parent held the back of it. Now it seems to be more of a single strap fastened to the wrist. Some use them, some don't.

I assume you've had "tiny tots" to chase after? So you know that an active toddler can get away from even the most vigilant parent. Let's see: Transfering from land or cruise ship to a small boat that moves while people are boarding. No matter how careful and secure, parents cannot always take care of themselves and a small child without help from the crew or other passengers. If the boat suddenly rises or falls while parents are boarding with their child, there's the risk that both the parent and the child will end up in the water. I'm sure you also know that taking a tender, boat, ferry, or water taxi carries a small risk of problems with the boat itself. It might not be a matter of letting a child fall in, but of safety during an emergency!

On land, we put children in car seats, boosters, and of course, seat belts (just like the adults) when they're old enough. We have them wear helmets when riding bikes in case they do fall on their heads. (I'm a big advocate of bicycle helmets; I might well be a widow had my hubby not been wearing his one particular day.) On land, we do our best to keep children safe and, for example, out of traffic. When we can, we minimize risks, including putting children in appropriate life vests when we take them on small boats.

beachchick

Well said!!! :)

We brought our DS' life jacket, but didn't have to buy it special for the trip. We have a boat and pool and live near the ocean so we're always buying the next size up. He can now swim without one, but we'll still bring one for the tender rides and any other excursions we might go on. He's more comfortable in his own.

He kept going from the splash area to the deeper pools:

RCLFreedomoftheSeasAtSea2-7-11_006.jpg

I did end up buying one. We were in a store and came across them on clearance so we were looking at them. Most didn'tfit him correctly so I'm very glad I didn't purchase online.

I was more looking at getting on for a catamaran excursion or similar. Not having anything to do with my inability to keep up with my child. ;) I am also not terribly concerned about on board the ship simply because they would have them either in cabin in his size or will provide one.

I tried everything under the sun for a life jacket for my 3 1/2 year old. A regular life jacket tipped her on her back and she couldn't get back up. Arm floaties...well, they worked but she had to keep her arms down the entire time in order to keep her from gulping water. I tried the life vest type and they completely flipped her face forward. :eek: I was about to give up and the wonderful posters on cc suggested the puddle jumper to me. WOW! It worked like a charm! She swims great in them and yes, I took it with us on her first cruise a few weeks ago. She used it in the pool, going down the slides and she even snorkeled with us at 2 ports plus cave tubing at another. I will not leave home without it and definitely worth the space it took up in her luggage. :D

We are cruising with our little guy who will be 22 months at the time of sailing. We will be doing at least one excursion that has a boat and/or water taxi.

Would you purchase and bring your own life jacket? It willtake up precious space in the luggage since we are flying and I'm just not sure if it's a necessary expense. Any thoughts or past experiences are appreciated.

I would not bother to bring one. However, if I did, I would bring something like this -

http://globalmarine-safety.com/shop/childsafe/

Sort of expensive but it is an automatic inflatable vest so it will be comfortable to wear and will work well.

DON

Archived