Is Cagneys flexible for kids who don't eat much?

rajones007

The title is sort of a dumb question, I know. But we got talking about it at the dinner table tonight. Let me explain...

Our 15 year old daughter eats like a bird. Seriously. She's tall and very thin, but still a healthy young lady.

Without getting into great detail of her eating habits, I'm thinking if we go to Cagneys it would probably be a big waste for her as we know she'll barely make it thru the bread/soup/salad stage. Heck, it'll probably be like that for ANY restaurant on the ship. She knows it...we all know it.

So is there a way around it at Cagneys? If it's $25 then it's $25. I can live with it.... I'm just curious as to whether they will make an exception (discount?) for someone in the party who just isn't able to eat as much as a typical person.

On our last cruise, our daughter had just turned 16. Tim and I wanted to go to Le Bistro, and would have taken our DD if she had wanted to go. However, we had friends on the ship, and she chose to just have dinner with them. Don't know if she's comfortable eating alone if it's only you guys, but our Alex didn't really want to get dressed up for that night, so the buffet worked fine for her. She's also been known to just order a room service pizza and ceasar salad, and then hit up the buffet later for dessert. I like NCL for that, no one bats an eye at a 16 year old doing their own food thing.

Thanks for the replies. I guess skipping the entre might be an idea.

Hopefully there's somebody out there who has the same "problem" and had personal experience with it.

Please don't think me rude, but why not have her eat at the buffet that night or order room service. That way you don't have to worry about the sur-charge.

I mean this in the nicest way. Please don't flame me.

No, that's not rude at all.

We thought about just ordering her room service, and she'd be good for that. But it would be nice to have her come along. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear.

We have a 13 year old boy too, and he eats like a horse. No concern whatsoever about getting our $25 worth of food when he's holding the knife and fork.

<snip>We have a 13 year old boy too, and he eats like a horse. No concern whatsoever about getting our $25 worth of food when he's holding the knife and fork.</snip>

Caught me in the middle of a mouth full of bourbon! :D Have to clean the monitor! :eek:

Reminds me of our oldest on a cruise when he finished 3 lobster dinners one night! The boy had a hollow leg!

Hopefully there's somebody out there who has the same "problem" and had personal experience with it.

We thought about just ordering her room service, and she'd be good for that. But it would be nice to have her come along. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear.

We have a 13 year old boy too, and he eats like a horse. No concern whatsoever about getting our $25 worth of food when he's holding the knife and fork.

I have a boy and girl also, boy eats like a horse, girl doesn't. It would never occur to be to worry about paying for both of them. Seems to me it averages out.

Others might be right that if she doesn't order a main meal she might not have to pay.

Just let the waiter know that she is not very hungry and will just be joining you for soup and salad or an appitizer and if she's not embarassed order something off the kids menu . This is perfectly within bounds and you will be charged nothing . My 13/14 year old daughter is similar , eats like a bird , and has joined us breifly for dinner before moving off to another event.

Bottom line dont sweat it, it will workout fine. ;)

Kudos to you for wanting your daughter to eat with the rest of the family.

I agree with MPK218, you will not have to pay the surcharge if she sticks with the "sides" and dessert and/or the kids menu.

Have a great family cruise!

On embarkation day the specialty restaurants are half price, so maybe you could plan on going to Cagneys on that day, so at least you don't spend as much anyway.

Unless something has radically changed very recently, this is not the case, or at least not on ALL NCL ships.

Maybe your son could finish what she doesn't eat? Otherwise I guess you are paying for the family experience of eating together. My daughter is a vegetarian and we have the same issue. In any case once my kids became teens I became more lenient on the Cruise dinners, they would usually prefer to eat with their new friends instead of us :( I don't think they will discount the charge.

We love Cagney's, and most generally have both Breakfast and Lunch there, but we have discovered that having dinner in our suite is much better (for us).

Cagney's for breakfast and lunch is normally quiet and sedate, but for dinner, it is all too often very crowded.

Try having your Butler bring you dinner to your suite (you can order from any restaurant aboard) and see how that works out.

How about having your son eat what your daughter doesn't? Sounds as if your son could easily eat two entrees and a second dessert too.

May I suggest the young lady skip the appetizer, soup, salad and bread and just eat the entree? Seems reasonable to me and then you won't feel so bad about paying the surcharge.

Don't skip the appetizer, soup, salad and bread! She can order those for her brother to devourer!

As long as we are trying to save a buck. Many, many elderly people eat like birds too. I wonder if NCL should also allow them to eat free in Cagney's since they 'don't eat much'?

I love your idea! I'm getting up there in years and don't eat like I did 20 years ago. I find I eat about half of what they bring me in the specialty restaurants. So I'm in favor of your idea.

To build on your idea, I suggest that Cagney's weigh each guest when they enter and then again when they leave to ascertain how much they ate. Then charge based on the weight difference!

You sir are brilliant!!!

I love your idea! I'm getting up there in years and don't eat like I did 20 years ago. I find I eat about half of what they bring me in the specialty restaurants. So I'm in favor of your idea.

To build on your idea, I suggest that Cagney's weigh each guest when they enter and then again when they leave to ascertain how much they ate. Then charge based on the weight difference!

You sir are brilliant!!!

Nicely played!:)

You sir are brilliant!!!

Well, I think it will work except they certainly won't allow any trips to the restroom. Money down the drain, so to speak.

Well, I think it will work except they certainly won't allow any trips to the restroom. Money down the drain, so to speak.

I'm going to have to rethink this! My bladder isn't what it was years ago, and well let's just say I take lots of trips away from the table. :eek:

Archived