CHOPS/Steak vs Veal

oldIrish

The veal chop was very tender and well prepared but IMO I thought it could be an ounce or two bigger. They serve it on the bone and unless you're comfortable gnawing on a bone in a fine restaurant, there's a little bit of waste.

Recently, I passed by the meat counter in Whole Foods (you can't even get a first cut prime veal chop in my local NJ supermarket). They were ON SALE for $22.99/pound. And you have to cook it yourself and then wash the dishes afterward!

So worthwhile to enjoy the veal chop and entire meal in CHOPS.

We were in Chops on the Liberty in January and had the filet and rack of lamb, and both were outstanding. Excellently prepared, and the sides are to die for. I agree, the price is a steal compared to eating in a land restaurant or purchasing from a butcher or the market, especially for the rack of lamb.

Thanks to all who have responded so far ...

Working in New York City, an excellent Filet here is a dime a dozen, which is why I'm leaning towards the lamb ... based on what I'm reading of your posts, my decision is now made while on the Freedom in November.

Cheers,

Michael

Go for it! I had the lamb on FOS and it was excellent. One time they had a Dover ole special and that was good too. Don't be afraid to try some thing different, just because it is a "steakhouse" at least not on board FOS. Enjoy!

:confused:Which is better?

I see a lot of positive comments on the steak at Chops, but the veal chop is rarely mentioned.

Looking for some feedback on the veal.

I'm glad you asked, I've been to Chops 3 times and had either the NY strip, or the Filet, but each time I eye that Veal and wonder the same thing. Thanks for asking, now to read your replies.

Done - Like Mike from NJ, next time I'm going to try the Veal, could be on Freedom next May.

Why elect "pay per chew" from a banquet style kitchen when you will be in ports that offer amazing local fare that is not available elsewhere? We will invest our meal $'s on land rather than gamble on the quality of the ingredients, the care and abilty of the "chef" and the hope that your waiter will not leave your dinner for too long under the heat lamps?

Archived