Recently back from Marina - Enchanted Riverias Cruise

Tropiclady

Hi All,

We have been back exactly a week today and really miss the Marina! We were on the Enchanted Riverias Cruise from Rome to Venice with eight friends. We were in a port every day of the 12 days and they were all wonderful.

We were first time cruisers so are not able to do any comparisons with any other cruise lines or ships. We loved the Marina and felt the service and staff were awesome. There was only a couple of times and areas that I thought they could have done better but these are both minor complaints.

This board was very helpful to me before we left and I thank all of you for taking time to post.

Instead of doing a review, I thought I would just point out a few things both good and bad.

We both preferred Toscana over Red Ginger! We enjoyed all of the speciality restaurants but Toscana was our favorite. My husband especially loved the Terrace Cafe on many nights because he could wear golf shorts and shirt. His least favorite was the GDR. I liked everything especially the Key Lime Pie and the Veal at Toscana!

We did both private and Oceania tours. I would do Oceania tours again as well as private. It all depends on the port. The Oceania tours were for the most part very good even if a bit pricey. It certainly was nice not to worry about anything though.

There was 10 of us travelling together and many of them had previously cruised and everyone thought that for a new ship that the stabalizers should be better.

We had a whistling patio door (7006). I forgot to put this on the comment sheet so maybe someone from Oceania will see this and take note of the stateroom.

We loved the extended balcony and would request again.

I am not sure what else may help you as a reader but I would be happy to answer any and all questions that you might have.

Cheers,

Tropiclady

If there's a problem with a whistling door, just call downstairs to reception to get it fixed. We had this problem on one of our cruises and within an hour, the "fix it department" came up to our cabin, removed the door, added additional weatherstripping, replaced the door and we were fine.

Always report a problem rather than suffering with it. Oceania's crew can do wonders.

I would love to hear about the tours you took and which were the best. Also I am interested in private tours as well. I was a little shocked at the $1250/person for Oceania tour of Rome.

Thank you in advance

$1250!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!

For that price Julius Caesar should give you the tour in his private chariot with hunky centurions flanking you on all sides! What's up with that??????

Thanks for the quick review. We're sailing next April on the Marina from Rome to Venice, so I, too, would be interested in hearing about any excursions that you particularly loved. I'll be honest when I tell you that I won't be paying $1250 for the Rome one, but I'd sure love to hear what it included!!! :)

We're staying in 7111, which is the first of the aft longer balconies and WE CAN'T WAIT!

Jan

I was a little shocked at the $1250/person for Oceania tour of Rome.

Thank you in advance

Yikes what tour would that be ? :eek:

I know they have private cars that are up there in price but usually you can share with up to 6 people

Lyn

Thanks for the quick review. We're sailing next April on the Marina from Rome to Venice, so I, too, would be interested in hearing about any excursions that you particularly loved. I'll be honest when I tell you that I won't be paying $1250 for the Rome one, but I'd sure love to hear what it included!!! :)

We're staying in 7111, which is the first of the aft longer balconies and WE CAN'T WAIT!

Jan

You will definitely enjoy the additional outdoor space, but it should be noted that those first cabins with the larger balconies are rather exposed:

123348.jpg This is a photo of the first of the deck 7 forward balconies, and as you can see, it is a little like "being onstage", albeit with stunning, ever changing scenery. :p

By all means enjoy yourself out there, but keep in mind that others will have a view of you enjoying your view.

I would love to hear about the tours you took and which were the best. Also I am interested in private tours as well. I was a little shocked at the $1250/person for Oceania tour of Rome.

Thank you in advance

Where did this figure of $1250/pp come from?

I don't see it in OP's post. Could it be a typo?

Where did this figure of $1250/pp come from?

I don't see it in OP's post. Could it be a typo?

If this is still the same tour that we were offered, then it is the "behind the scenes" tour of the Vatican, which includes access to works of art that are not on view to the general public and audiences with various Church officials who are in residence.

We used a private guide in Rome, but she was very impressed to hear that Oceania was offering such a deluxe experience.

If there's a problem with a whistling door, just call downstairs to reception to get it fixed. We had this problem on one of our cruises and within an hour, the "fix it department" came up to our cabin, removed the door, added additional weatherstripping, replaced the door and we were fine.

Always report a problem rather than suffering with it. Oceania's crew can do wonders.

You are absolutely right! I am not sure why we didn't do this! Will certainly report next time if we have any problems. Thanks!

Tropiclady

Thank you in advance

We used Real Rome Tours while we were in Rome. Our trip started in Rome and we spent 3 days there before boarding the Marina. I would highly recommend them. I have been meaning to do a tripadvisor review but just have not had time since we have been back. We had two private tours with them as their was eight of us in Rome together. The eight of us did the Vatican tour and our tour guide Ferdinando was one of the best guides that we had on the whole entire trip. Than six of us combined two tours in one the next day and we did Ancient Rome and Rome the City. Niccolo was our tour guide for this tour and he also was very good. Real Rome Tours website is http://www.realrometours.com/. They were recommended by friends who had previously used them while in Rome and we were not disappointed. You just need to be prepared for lots of walking. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks and Happy Planning!

Tropiclady

Jan

Jan, I promise to come back and write some notes on our excursions but just don't have enough time this morning and will try to get back to you later today. Is there any particular ports that you are interested in?

As for the extended balcony, I understand JimStan remarks but we really enjoyed the extended balcony and would stay in again if the opportunity arose. You are exposed to other cruisers when you are at the rails of your balcony or when you are out from under your roof but that never bothered us. In fact, we usually waved or had a chat with people that were out on their balconies and saw us. We however were not the first extended balcony and I did notice that the first balcony does tend to be more exposed to not only other cruisers but the elements as well.

Tropiclady

Tropiclady - Our TA is organizing most of our days in Italy, including pre-cruise in Rome and post-cruise in Venice. I'm still trying to decide what to do in Monte Carlo, Corfu, and Sardinia, if you stopped in any of those ports. Thanks for your help.

Jan

Tropiclady - Our TA is organizing most of our days in Italy, including pre-cruise in Rome and post-cruise in Venice. I'm still trying to decide what to do in Monte Carlo, Corfu, and Sardinia, if you stopped in any of those ports. Thanks for your help.

Jan

On our cruise in April 2010, we had a wonderful tour of Monte Carlo, Eze, Nice & my favorite, St. Paul deVence with a great tour guide, Sylvie Di Cristo.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Monte Carlo was one of my favorite stops and we did the Monaco (Monte Carlo), Nice and Eze excursion with Oceania. This was a great all day excursion and I would recommend. I loved the Cote d'Azur area and thought that Oceania had organized this day trip very well. Our only complaint would be that the tour guide could have been better. She was good and informative but not very animated or friendly. It is always the luck of the draw when getting a tour guide and we really liked or loved all of our other tour guides on our other excursions with Oceania. There was six of us that did this tour together and we all felt the same. My husband and I did a total of 6 excursions with Oceania. We also did the Corfu Town and Achilleion Palaceexcursion. We also enjoyed this tour and would recommend if you like Palaces & Greek Mythology. This was a half day tour and afterwards we explored the old fortress on our own. We even discovered a little restaurant by the Corfu Saling Club which is only accessible from the old fortress. This was one of our favorite lunches on the trip. We had a one night stay in Venice on the ship and we did the Oceania excursion to the islands of Murano and Burano. I enjoyed Murano and the glass blowing but loved the little island of Burano. It really had character. We also spent two extra days in Venice but did the rest of the highlights on our own such as the square, rialto bridge etc. One of my favorite tours on the entire trip was a private tour that we arranged ahead of time which took us to Florence, Tuscany and Pisa. Six of us spent the day with Guido of Guido's tours and saw a bit of Florence, visited a small winery for wine and olive oil tasting, had a private lunch with the owners and than had a short stop in Pisa. I hope that this helps!

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Tropiclady

Hi to Tropiclady and yorkiemomjn -

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I think I've read great things about Sylvie and might do that excursion in Monte Carlo. I also like the Corfu suggestions. We're also aboard the Marina the first night in Venice and then we're staying one additional night. Did you really love the trips out to Murano and Burano? I wasn't sure if we'd have time to do that with only two short days. I'd like to do a walking tour of Venice, along with a cruise down the Grande Canal. Sooooo many choices. :)

Thanks!

Jan

Hi to Tropiclady and yorkiemomjn -

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I think I've read great things about Sylvie and might do that excursion in Monte Carlo. I also like the Corfu suggestions. We're also aboard the Marina the first night in Venice and then we're staying one additional night. Did you really love the trips out to Murano and Burano? I wasn't sure if we'd have time to do that with only two short days. I'd like to do a walking tour of Venice, along with a cruise down the Grande Canal. Sooooo many choices. :)

Thanks!

Jan

Hi Jan,

You probably don't need to take a tour to Murano and Burano but could go on your own if you have time. I believe that you can take a water taxi over. Unless you are really into glass blowing I would skip Murano and go to Burano. I really did enjoy our time on this island and enjoyed our free time walking around as much as the tour segment. We had an excellent tour guide and she was very fun and informative. She helped us immensely for a few minutes with info even after the tour. However, what makes me happy may not may make you happy so I would suggest that you do what works for you! In our two extra days In Venice we walked many parts of Venice, saw the Doge's Palace, the Square, the Basilica, the Rialto Bridge. We also took a Gondola ride in the evening with friends. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Happy Planning,

Tropiclady

If the $1250 tour is indeed a private tour of the Vatican, I'm not surprised at the price. I read about this tour in the Wall Street Journal. Even when not given as a "ship's tour", it is very expensive, but I don't remember the price. It gives one the opportunity to see the Sistine Chapel, etc without the hugh crowds of people. It is meant for serious art lovers.

Archived