Request for assistance .. island tour without commitment

Bevv

When we go to Cozumel, I am interested in an Island Tour, but we do not want to commit to a tour guide in advance because my husband is concerned that I will have motion sickness issues and we would not be able to make the tour. He also does not want to rent a car and risk those potential problems. We also do not want to be part of a group because we want to stop when and where we have an interest to stop.

With that in mind, are there normally tour guides there that are available without prior arrangements, or does that mean we will be hiring a taxi for a couple of hours?

There's not much wiggle room in your request, so without the flexibility of a full blown tour, I think you will end up hiring a taxi for a few hours. This is what my family did, and we loved it. We went to the ruins at San Gervasio, then several stops on the eastern side of the island for food, drinks and photo opportunities, then on to Paradise Beach before heading back downtown for some shopping.

Hope you have fun whatever you decide.

my husband is concerned that I will have motion sickness issues and we would not be able to make the tour.

supposed if HE got motion sickness??

anyways-- do you get car sick or sick on amusement rides?

are you going to take medicines with you? (like ginger cookies?

MOST people do not get sea sick.

If your husband's concern is motion sickness in vehicles, Cozumel is fairly flat (highest point is at Coconuts and it's only 300 feet up or so) and the roads relatively straight, not winding hilly turns like some eastern Caribbean islands. But if you're hiring a taxi on the spot for the tour, be sure to get agreement in advance of the cost, make sure you and the driver understand each other, and that you are comfortable with the vehicle being used.

It also helps to have a list of places you'd like to stop at or see. I assume you aren't interested in stopping at a beach resort, so here is a lsiting of some sights you may wish to explore further to to see if they pique your interest. This is somewhat long and probably more than you'll have time to take in on a short stop, but gives you an idea.

Heading south from the cruise piers:

Discover Mexico, El Cedral Mayan village;

At the southern tip: the alligator/eco preserve and the lighthouse:

Turning left up the east side: the blowholes and shore line, Playa Bonita, Chen Rio, Coconuts, Punta Morena--all beaches and lunch/ drinks stops:

Turning left again along the Tranveral Road: San Gervasio Mayan Ruins, the Tequila Musuem;

Entering San Miguel: The cermainic tile Talvera store on Avenida 25 and Calle 1.

Other interesting non-plaza shopping and sites in San Miguel: Muebles de la Santa Cruz on Avenida 15 and Calle 2 for interesting home furnishings and pottery; El Museo on the waterfront;

I suggest you look up information about these suggestions on the web or on this board. Also invest in a quality map of the island. the cancunmapcompany, http://www.cancunmap.com/ sells printed (not on-line) detailed maps of Cozumel that can be useful in orienting yourselves and looking for places to stop, including the beaches, if interested.

However, you wind up spending your day, havea great time.

supposed if HE got motion sickness??

anyways-- do you get car sick or sick on amusement rides?

are you going to take medicines with you? (like ginger cookies?

MOST people do not get sea sick.

I do get sea sick on small boats and amusement rides, or when riding in a car and trying to read. I have sea bands, ginger pills and will be doing Bonine., so do not anticipate problems. My husband is a "hope for the best, plan for the worst" kind of person. He does not want to commit to something where we might lose money (hiring a tour guide in advance).

I suggest you look up information about these suggestions on the web or on this board. Also invest in a quality map of the island. the cancunmapcompany, http://www.cancunmap.com/ sells printed (not on-line) detailed maps of Cozumel that can be useful in orienting yourselves and looking for places to stop, including the beaches, if interested.

However, you wind up spending your day, havea great time.

Thanks for all the great ideas. We will be doing a lot of research before we go.

Archived