Lunch in MDR

On port days the DR will not always be open at all. When it is, it is normally noon - 1pm. Sometimes when the ship is docking later than usual, such as 11am to noon, the DR may be open at 11:30am.

Most ship are on this schedule but things do change. Take a look at the Daily Program the night before.

There are some PORT days when the dining room is NOT open.

Check your Explorer Dailt program each day to see if it is open.

When it is open -- time will be from Noon - 1:30.

Yes -- when the dining room is open for lunch - it is the same time on all ships.

From the Zuiderdam last July:

Port day Juneau: MDR open 12-1pm (but we only docked at 2pm)

Port day Skagway: MDR open 12-1pm (docked from 7am to 9pm)

Port day Ketchikan: MDR was not open for lunch, only Pinnacle Grill (12-1pm), and of course the Lido and Terrace Grill (docked from 10am to 6pm)

I just love it when someone says "always" or "all" or "never." Rarely can you rely on that kind of statement. :D

We have been on 4 HAL cruises for about 6 weeks total and have never eaten lunch in the Dining Room. Is the food basically what is served in the Lido? We have eaten breakfast a couple times in the MDR when my husband wanted eggs benedict. It seemed better (scrambled eggs MUCH better) than the Lido in the am.

Thanks!

We have been on 4 HAL cruises for about 6 weeks total and have never eaten lunch in the Dining Room. Is the food basically what is served in the Lido? We have eaten breakfast a couple times in the MDR when my husband wanted eggs benedict. It seemed better (scrambled eggs MUCH better) than the Lido in the am.

Thanks!

People say there is more variety in the Lido. I do not like being around a ton of people fighting for a table. That doesn't appeal to me as I live in a large city and get plenty tired of crowds. It's so much nicer to be served in the MDR. That's why I like it.

Thanks!

Of course, your choice MDR or Lido but they serve eggs benedict in Lido everyday.

As to lunch, they post the menu outside the dining room so you could take a peek and see if you like that day's menu when deciding where you wish to eat.

People say there is more variety in the Lido. I do not like being around a ton of people fighting for a table. That doesn't appeal to me as I live in a large city and get plenty tired of crowds. It's so much nicer to be served in the MDR. That's why I like it.

I absolutely agree with this. Unfortunately, it never fails that the person or people I am with want to go to the Lido instead. Most of the time I tell them to do their own thing and I head to the MDR.

Thanks!

The main dining room menu for lunch is limited -- usually a couple of appetizers, a couple of soups, a couple of salads and about 4 or 5 entrees and of course a few desserts.

Not everything that is served in the Lido is offered in the main dining room for lunch.

Agree that the eggs benedict in the dining room are way better than those in the Lido.

I just love it when someone says "always" or "all" or "never." Rarely can you rely on that kind of statement. :D

Okay - so the only ship I haven't sailed on is the Prinsendam - maybe their hours are different.

OH -- I do have all my daily programs from ALL our cruises -- nearly 700 days on HAL.

If we had not had to cancel 4 cruises due to various reasons we would be close to 800 days. But whose counting. :D

Just to be clear, the hours I posted for the MDR are straight from our daily Explorers which I still have. This would be the Zuiderdam Inside Passage from Vancouver July 15-23, 2011. I have never sailed another HAL ship and have no idea what the other ships might do.

I was on this cruise, too (but it was July 16-23 :)). I just wanted to let you know that I was also challenged by a long-time, "respected" poster (and frequent HAL cruiser) on this board regarding being asked for my cabin number in the Lido. I was right, he was wrong. In this case, I can back you up and say you are right and the others are wrong. Things are *never* :D always the same on each ship on all cruises.

It never ceases to amaze me when people don't think "that must have changed" instead of challenging your experience. :confused:

Okay - so the only ship I haven't sailed on is the Prinsendam - maybe their hours are different.

OH -- I do have all my daily programs from ALL our cruises -- nearly 700 days on HAL.

If we had not had to cancel 4 cruises due to various reasons we would be close to 800 days. But whose counting. :D

Just got to remember there are always exceptions....we have only sailed on HAL for something over 100 days, but we did just get off the Sept 2 Amsterdam Alaska 14 day cruise and I have my Explorers from the cruise.

The La Fontaine was open as follows according to my Explorers:

Seattle- 12-1:30 Mariner's Luncheon

Inside Passage (Sea Day) Open 12-1

Ketchikan (Docked 8-5) CLOSED

Tracy Arm (Sea Day) Open 12-1

Juneau (Docked 8-9:30) CLOSED

Icy Strait Point (Tender 7-3:30) OPEN on port day! 12-1

Sea Day Open 12-1

Anchorage (Docked 8-10:30) CLOSED

Homer (Docked 10-5:30) OPEN on a port day! 12-1

Hubbard Glacier (Sea Day) Open 12-1

Sitka (Tender 10-4:30) CLOSED

Sea Day CLOSED

Victoria (Docked 12-10:30) OPEN on a port day!12-1

As you can see the only day the MDR was open 12 to 1:30 was boarding day and that was for the Mariners only. The rest of the time, if the MDR was open, it was 12 to 1! It was open on some port days and closed on one sea day.

We were on the Rotterdam for 31 days- to the South Pacific Sept/Oct 2010

and the timing was a bit confusing on that cruise too though I seem to remember more 1:30 closing times....but there were many sea days on that cruise. My advice is to check the back on the daily Explore and see what is going on that day. The pattern is NOT consistent across the fleet or cruises.

Archived