children on new ships

zship

On our 4 O trips, we have found the children to be almost like shadows--rarely seen or heard. We sailed on an Rclass on Princess with the most obnoxous preteen boy travelling with grands. On that same trip there was a family with very vocal small people on the MDR. The Dad was no help and the Mom was overwhelmed. They finally started using the buffet--experiencd the children there on nite--they were like different people. Pat

I hope that O continues the objective of providing an a superb adult vacation experience. If they try to broaden the market to children, teens, etc. there would be a significant drop off in it's loyal base of those like us who enjoy an almost all adult environment.

Amen. We love our grands, but...........

I wanted to avoid giving examples from our experience but here goes. On one O trip there was a teen who was very disruptive. For example, intefering with the pilot of the tender. His parents were usually nowhere to be found.

Since they do not prohibit children from the cruises I am not sure how they rule out children.

Maybe becoming an "adult only" cruise line or raising the minimum age :confused:

P& O have a couple of ships that are adult only maybe it would work

If someone any age was disruptive I would hope a report was made to the General manager especially when they were interfering with the operation of a vessel

JMO

Lyn

I don't think any ship that visits US ports can have an adults only rule.

Perhaps the P & o ships do not come to the US.

Oceania tries to make it clear they do not cater to children but I suspect some people buy the cruise through a 'bucket shop" travel agent who gives them little info and they never see a brochure. We have met several couple on European cruises who indicated they bought their cruise through an ad in the paper and did not even know what the ship looked like before they boarded. (These were the same people who showed up in shorts and t-shirts in the GDR)

Also I think may parents figure they are on a ship, how much trouble can the kids get into. Besides it is up to the ship to manage the kids so the parents can finally have some down time. I have heard parents complain on other lines that the waiter did not entertain their precious one or that the ship did not keep them out of their hair for enough hours. (So much for some modern parenting!)

If my kids had been on the ship, folks would have been in line to throw them overboard. There's a reason for adults only vacations.

Bringing children on an O cruise borders on child abuse. The few on Marina for 16 days were ver nice but said they were very bored.

• 2 weeks later...
Bringing children on an O cruise borders on child abuse. The few on Marina for 16 days were ver nice but said they were very bored.

Child Abuse? really? That is an extremely offensive post to those children who have actually been abused. You should be ashamed.

B.

Child Abuse? really? That is an extremely offensive post to those children who have actually been abused. You should be ashamed.

B.

The tenure of the post was meant to be humorous. I sincerely apologize if it was taken differently by you but to tell me I should be ashamed and assume insensitivity on my part to victims of abuse is over the top. Let's keep the boards "light and informative".

The tenure of the post was meant to be humorous. I sincerely apologize if it was taken differently by you but to tell me I should be ashamed and assume insensitivity on my part to victims of abuse is over the top. Let's keep the boards "light and informative".

What else can be interpreted from your post? No smiles nothing. Sorry but it was a bad post and I called it out.

B.

On our recent Marina 12 day cruise there were 6 or 7 children. One infant, one toddler, and 3 or 4 boys ranging from about 7 to 12 or 13.

I was in the elevator with one of the older ones towards the end of the cruise and asked him how he liked it, if he was bored. He was enthusiastic about how wonderful it was and surprised that I thought he might be bored.

They were very quiet and very much like shadows, as someone else has mentioned.

Mo

Archived