Belize Question

magic&buddy

The family and I will be in Belize in early November. We would like to do an informative bus tour of the city and outskirts. Does anyone know if this is something I can get at the port? I know that Carnival has a tour but I was looking for an independent operator if possible.

I did ask this on the Belize board - using Carnival's tour was suggested.

Any help would be appreciated :).

I did it from the port and hated the tour. It was very depressing. I would skip seeing this particular city. We spent too much time at a old church built by negroes .. and saw schools and everything we passed had bars on the windows.

this was my all time least favorite exursion.

do something out in nature, see the countryside.

I've used them every time i've gone to Belize and have NEVER been disappointed. I've done the tubing, zipping, ruins, city stuff and just toured the area with them.. lunches at local spots etc. REALLY nice couple.

Will be in Belize next month. Where does one find Nacho and Cynthia?

I did it from the port and hated the tour. It was very depressing. I would skip seeing this particular city. We spent too much time at a old church built by negroes .. and saw schools and everything we passed had bars on the windows.

this was my all time least favorite exursion.

do something out in nature, see the countryside.

Fire, are you tendered into Belize City?

Fire, are you tendered into Belize City?

yes, one time we contracted to do a city tour by taxi. I didnt much like the pushy lady who sold it to us, but said ok to the taxi.. little did I know belize requires both a drive and a tour guide,, we were stuck with pushy lady :(

but yes, I have always had to tender into belize. once on princess it was more like a speed boat ride. I had tangles in my hair the rest of the day.

I love roatan and belize is almost always included.

To answer a couple of questions.

Yes you have to take the tender to get into Belize.

As far as a city tour I would skip it. We just got off the Legend and our original tour was cancelled (long story) so we got on the Altun Ha and Belize City Tour. The city was very depressing. It does make you appreciate what you have though.

I think you all have convinced me not to get off the ship and just treat it like a sea day.

You are kidding I hope.......do some research on the ports of call boards......there is plenty to do........tours, cave tubing, zip lines, atv riding, water taxi to Caye Caulker etc........

I would never recommend getting a tour at the port.......that is just dumb IMO.......

We walked from the ship into town. It was depressing and there is virtually nothing to see. I'm not sure why the ships even bother to dock here. It seems like the Belize government isn't willing to put any of the money they receive to improve the tourist experience. Sad indeed!

We walked from the ship into town. It was depressing and there is virtually nothing to see. I'm not sure why the ships even bother to dock here. It seems like the Belize government isn't willing to put any of the money they receive to improve the tourist experience. Sad indeed!

There is lots to see in Belize.........that is why they dock there.......

Really, All I read about Belize is how crappy the city is, pushy/shady vendors, fear for your life the whole time your not involed with a organised excursion. Tenders coming back full with the same people an hour after they left

I think well stay on the ship and do laundry.

Really, All I read about Belize is how crappy the city is, pushy/shady vendors, fear for your life the whole time your not involed with a organised excursion. Tenders coming back full with the same people an hour after they left

I think well stay on the ship and do laundry.

And those are from people that don't do any research.....fear for your life? ROFLMAO!!! Good grief:rolleyes: Boy these are some good rumors.......

Thanks to many of you for your ideas and suggestions. It sounds like I can definitely pick up a tour at the port though someone's opinion is that getting a tour at the port is "just dumb". Oh well........

I would love to try some of the suggestions like zip-lining or cave tubing but we have some folks in our group with mobility issues so that won't work for us.

I will report back after our cruise about what we ended up doing. Again...thanks!

Thanks to many of you for your ideas and suggestions. It sounds like I can definitely pick up a tour at the port though someone's opinion is that getting a tour at the port is "just dumb". Oh well........

I would love to try some of the suggestions like zip-lining or cave tubing but we have some folks in our group with mobility issues so that won't work for us.

I will report back after our cruise about what we ended up doing. Again...thanks!

That is because these tour operators at the pier can be anyone unlike the tour operators that are recommended on the port of call boards......you are in a foreign country and you should do all the research possible to find a dependable local tour operator and not some guy out to make a buck at the pier......not only is it dumb it is not safe IMHO.........good luck!

And those are from people that don't do any research.....fear for your life? ROFLMAO!!! Good grief:rolleyes: Boy these are some good rumors.......

So have you walked from the ship into the city and then walked around the city? We did. No we didn't fear for our lives, but it wasn't very pleasant walking past the pushy guy with the snake and into a run down town that offered nothing of note.

That is because these tour operators at the pier can be anyone unlike the tour operators that are recommended on the port of call boards......you are in a foreign country and you should do all the research possible to find a dependable local tour operator and not some guy out to make a buck at the pier......not only is it dumb it is not safe IMHO.........good luck!

We must be having a communication issue - the reason I am asking on Cruise Critic is because I would like to know who other people have used and how it went for them - I am doing the research.

As you have obviously been to Belize, do you have a suggestion on a reputable tour company or individuals to use?

We must be having a communication issue - the reason I am asking on Cruise Critic is because I would like to know who other people have used and how it went for them - I am doing the research.

As you have obviously been to Belize, do you have a suggestion on a reputable tour company or individuals to use?

I was referring to the people at the pier......you will find all the reputable local tour companies right here on the ports of call board......no communicaiton problem......just don't recommend booking at the pier.......

We booked a tour of Xunantunich Mayan Ruins with Carnival for our upcoming cruise:

https://secure.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/509052

This tour comes highly recommended, we'll get to see the countryside, be able to climb the tallest ruin, and have a Belizean lunch in San Ignacio. We're looking forward to this excursion, no way would spend precious time that day on the ship and NO WAY would I book any excursion other than with the ship. Too risky and I certainly wouldn't want to miss the ship in this country. I'll let Carnvial worry about getting us back to the ship after this 7 hour excursion.

Archived