Blu menu

Spf12

For those who have dined in Blu,is there an everyday menu(as in the MDR)in addition to the regular menu for that evening?

Yes, there is, chicken, steak and fish. Enjoy!

Blu also has everyday desserts, which they (annoyingly to me) don't put on the menu. They had apple pie, creme brulee, and a 3rd dessert that I'm not remembering (and which I did not try).

As these aren't listed on the menus, I suppose I can't promise they are served in Blu on every cruise, but they were being served everyday in Blu in addition to the listed desserts on the menu during the 8/29/11 Equinox sailing. You may have to ask, as most nights they weren't being mentioned by the waiters -- indeed, they may have only been mentioned to me after a waiter saw me drooling over someone else's apple pie several nights into the cruise...

I have a dumb question after reading Clarence's menu link - on at least two menu-selections, a dish is described as "Kobe Style Beef". What does the "Style" part mean? Does that mean it's not actually Kobe beef? I would hope that Blu actually uses Kobe beef, not some other, cheaper breed's cut made to sort-of taste like Kobe. Does anyone know?

I guess I'm asking if it's kind of similar to those nasty-tasting, fake chocolate bunnies during Easter that are called "Chocolate-flavored Easter Bunny" on the label? Thanks!

I have a dumb question after reading Clarence's menu link - on at least two menu-selections, a dish is described as "Kobe Style Beef". What does the "Style" part mean? Does that mean it's not actually Kobe beef? I would hope that Blu actually uses Kobe beef, not some other, cheaper breed's cut made to sort-of taste like Kobe. Does anyone know?

I guess I'm asking if it's kind of similar to those nasty-tasting, fake chocolate bunnies during Easter that are called "Chocolate-flavored Easter Bunny" on the label? Thanks!

I don't know what they actually use. But on my recent Equinox cruise overheard a waiter telling a customer that it was not Kobe (she wasn't happy with the meatloaf, but I don't know what the exact issue was and whether actual Kobe beef would have made a difference). The way he was describing it -- something like, an American version of it -- made it sound like Wagyu beef...but if that was the case I would think they would just call it Wagyu rather than confuse the issue with "Kobe style".

Obviously I didn't ask for more details, sorry, and can only pass on what was overheard the table next to us being told.

That makes a little more sense...I think a lot of people have heard of Kobe but not Wagyu. That was something that always made me curious as well.

Edited: Apparently google is my friend. A wagyu bred with an Angus creates "American style Kobe Beef" as it cannot be called wagyu, and creates a 'less white' colored meat that is more marketable to Americans.

2Sea and SZCardfan,

Thanks a lot - I learned something today! I am actually fairly closely associated with the cattle industry for my job, but I have never heard of "American style Kobe Beef". I guess I'm not as into the marketing aspect as I should be. Thanks for the info.

Oh, well. It's still likely better than what I eat at home.

Of all the dinners we have enjoyed in Blu the "Kobe" meatloaf was my least appreciated.

I completely agree. This dish (along with my overcooked Ahi tuna) served as a reminder to me that while Blu is generally good, there is always room for improvement.

Of course, this being Cruise Critic, some poster will come along soon and comment about how wonderful the meatloaf was. ;)

Can I get regular MDR food in Blue? If not, I may not be spending too much dinner time there. Quail breast and escargot are not my usual choices. I'm not much of an "experimenter" either. I know that they have a few everyday dishes (steak).

I have looked at some MDR menus and that looks good to me. French onion soup, etc.

I know I can check each menu in the morning and go where I want to go, but it would be nice to be able to go to Blu, watch my wife enjoy that menu and know that I can get some other food if nothing on that menu works for me.

We are booked on the Summit after the refit and Blu will be part of the upper dining room. Perhaps they will be using the same kitchen and it won't be such a pain for the chefs and waitstaff?

MrJulius:)

I completely agree. This dish (along with my overcooked Ahi tuna) served as a reminder to me that while Blu is generally good, there is always room for improvement.

Of course, this being Cruise Critic, some poster will come along soon and comment about how wonderful the meatloaf was. ;)

Delightfully, my Ahi Tuna was cooked rather rare, just right.

If your tuna was overcooked, why didn't you send it back for a rare one.

If your tuna was overcooked, why didn't you send it back for a rare one.

I decided to skip my main course that night because my companion ordered a second main dish "for the table". It was interesting for me to note the server removed the uneaten tuna without comment or question.

Can I get regular MDR food in Blue? If not, I may not be spending too much dinner time there. Quail breast and escargot are not my usual choices. I'm not much of an "experimenter" either. I know that they have a few everyday dishes (steak).

I have looked at some MDR menus and that looks good to me. French onion soup, etc.

I know I can check each menu in the morning and go where I want to go, but it would be nice to be able to go to Blu, watch my wife enjoy that menu and know that I can get some other food if nothing on that menu works for me.

We are booked on the Summit after the refit and Blu will be part of the upper dining room. Perhaps they will be using the same kitchen and it won't be such a pain for the chefs and waitstaff?

I don't know if anyone can answer your question, because it seems like CC'ers' experiences with this have varied from cruise-to-cruise. In other words, some have mentioned that it was absolutely no problem getting MDR items in Blu, but others have mentioned that they were actively DIScouraged from doing so. So, basically, I can't help you, sorry.:(

So you can go back and forth from Blu to the DMR, depending on which menu that night that you like?

Is Blu exclusively for guests in Aqua class or can those traveling in suites also use it? If a person is traveling in a Royal or Penthouse suite, can they order room service from the Blu menu?

It is available to suite guests on a space available basis, with a nominal surcharge.

Archived