Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future (Continued)

CC Help Jenn

A friend who is currently onboard says that Radiance has experienced some propulsion problems and is currently sitting idle about half way between Hilo and Vancouver. The e-mails span a period of a couple of hours.

Apparently warning alarms sounded in the Engine Room and all propulsion was shut down. Then the began doing tests on the engines.

Have any of the rest of you been hearing from people onboard? There is nothing on the Royal Caribbean website and I have not heard anything on the news.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA:cool:

A friend who is currently onboard says that Radiance has experienced some propulsion problems and is currently sitting idle about half way between Hilo and Vancouver. The e-mails span a period of a couple of hours.

Apparently warning alarms sounded in the Engine Room and all propulsion was shut down. Then the began doing tests on the engines.

Have any of the rest of you been hearing from people onboard? There is nothing on the Royal Caribbean website and I have not heard anything on the news.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA:cool:

OMG...I hope not...we are suppose to board her on Friday !! Our plans may change rather abruptly.

A friend who is currently onboard says that Radiance has experienced some propulsion problems and is currently sitting idle about half way between Hilo and Vancouver.

I can think of worse places to be stalled. Nothing to run into anywhere near by, pretty good weather and the most beautiful ship on the seas! However, I do hope they can get it all fixed.

Pamela

Tucson

We were in 8102 a few weeks ago. What a fantastic balcony.:D Shame about our neighbours though. :rolleyes: Hope you get 'my cabin' ;)

I have 8102 for Friday's cruise assuming the ship makes it to Vancouver!!

Fingers crossed.

My onboard reporter says that after 4 1/2 hours they are underway again. The problem was an oil leak and it has been repaired.

Have great cruises, all of you who are going joining our favorite ship in Vancouver!

Frank in dark and cool SBA:cool:

My onboard reporter says that after 4 1/2 hours they are underway again. The problem was an oil leak and it has been repaired.

Have great cruises, all of you who are going joining our favorite ship in Vancouver!

Hi Frank, great to know the Radiance is okay and on her way again:D

Do you still have my e-mail? if so please e-mail me as I have a few question I want to ask you:eek:

Hope Bob and I get to sail with you and Norm again soon;)

Carol:)

Wow glad to here its back underway

Thanks for posting that Frank

All--

My correspondent wrote again this morning. They are encountering rougher seas and much cooler weather. She wanted to stress that at no time were they without power. They just weren't moving. Lights, etc. were all working. It was nowhere close to what folks experienced on Costa Concordia.

Carol--

I'm not sure if I have your e-mail on this computer. You might want to e-mail me at my screen name @cox.net.

Best,

Frank in cloudy and humid SBA:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I felt bad finding out that Capt. Claus has been transferred although we all knew he was due since this past March made 4 years on board RD for him. Even in early April he seemed certain he'd be on board to relieve Capt. Sindre for their extended rotations - what seemed to be for about 13 weeks since Sindre doesn't plan to return until very late October. I wonder if that will change with a new captain in the picture.

But the good news is that Kelly Goodrich will be rejoining RD on May 25 as the piano player in the Schooner Bar. He always puts on a good show and everyone has a good time when he's there. Not only that, he can sing! :) The one who is there now annoyed me so much that I couldn't wait to get out of Giovanni's just so I didn't have to hear him through the doors. He about ruined our entire meal. The truth is that I never heard anyone worse. I hate saying that but I didn't even want to walk through the Schooner bar when he was in there making all that racket. :(

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Where is Cpt Claus now? He was great. We didn't care for the bartenders in Schooners either. Agree about the piano player. When we were on in March, our favorite group was in the Centrum. What a great ship! Anyone that gets a chance will like this ship.

Great news about Kelly Goodrich. We have seen him on the Monarch a few times. He is very very good.

In 2 weeks. We have cabin 7108 Looks like an extended balcony. But still hoping that the upgrade fairy will visit us.

I felt bad finding out that Capt. Claus has been transferred although we all knew he was due since this past March made 4 years on board RD for him. Even in early April he seemed certain he'd be on board to relieve Capt. Sindre for their extended rotations - what seemed to be for about 13 weeks since Sindre doesn't plan to return until very late October. I wonder if that will change with a new captain in the picture.

But the good news is that Kelly Goodrich will be rejoining RD on May 25 as the piano player in the Schooner Bar. He always puts on a good show and everyone has a good time when he's there. Not only that, he can sing! :) The one who is there now annoyed me so much that I couldn't wait to get out of Giovanni's just so I didn't have to hear him through the doors. He about ruined our entire meal. The truth is that I never heard anyone worse. I hate saying that but I didn't even want to walk through the Schooner bar when he was in there making all that racket. :(

Gina

Tony B, the piano player in the Schooner Bar was Australian. There were 1200 Australians onboard. I agree that he didn't have a very good voice, and a limited repertoire....but he was friendly.

And at least he played okay songs, it wasn't "Strangers in the night" sort of boring music. And the Australian songs he played, I was totally unfamiliar with most of them, but it was interesting to hear them. :)

Considering Radiance in 2013.

Does the (outside) promenade go all the way around on deck 5?

Do the elevators block it ?

Trying to figure where the doors out to it are other than forward.

Photos would be great.

Considering Radiance in 2013.

Does the (outside) promenade go all the way around on deck 5?

Do the elevators block it ?

Trying to figure where the doors out to it are other than forward.

Photos would be great.

The elevators don't block the promenade, although it does narrow near the hump (elevators). However you can only go all the way around if the helipad at the bow of the ship is open and that involves going up and down stairs. There are doors both forward and aft of the hump and there are lounge chairs out there. I like to walk there rather than the jogging track because it's not so sunny there.

The Radiance is a beautiful ship. You'll love sailing on her!

All--

My correspondent wrote again this morning. They are encountering rougher seas and much cooler weather. She wanted to stress that at no time were they without power. They just weren't moving. Lights, etc. were all working. It was nowhere close to what folks experienced on Costa Concordia.

Carol--

I'm not sure if I have your e-mail on this computer. You might want to e-mail me at my screen name @cox.net.

Best,

Frank in cloudy and humid SBA:cool:

LOL, Frank, I just saw this post. (I was the correspondent.) The crew did a great job -- it was Captain Sindre. :)

Edited by travelgoddess1

LOL, Frank, I just saw this post. (I was the correspondent.) The crew did a great job -- it was Captain Sindre. :)

Hi Karen, I heard all about it from PJ also....I will be sailing on the Radiance next year to Alaska as I want to see the ship with all it's new stuff:cool:

Did you try any of the specialty restaurants?;)

Edited by flames

Hi Karen, I heard all about it from PJ also....I will be sailing on the Radiance next year to Alaska as I want to see the ship with all it's new stuff:cool:

Did you try any of the specialty restaurants?;)

Carol, between our Australia cruise last year and Hawaii/Alaska this year, we have tried all but the Chef's Table, which is too long and drawn out for us. Giovanni's table is our favorite.

Carol, between our Australia cruise last year and Hawaii/Alaska this year, we have tried all but the Chef's Table, which is too long and drawn out for us. Giovanni's table is our favorite.

Hi ...can I chime in here......just back from 42 wonderful days on Radiance. Yes, the crew did a great job with the oil leak repair and fortunately for all of us we were stopped in calm seas so a lot of people probably didn't even notice until the Captain made his announcement!

We tried all of the specialty restaurants and loved them all. The Chef's Table is a fantastic experience....14 diners, good food, good wine, good service. However, as Karen noted....it is a long evening! We started at 6:30 with champagne and walked out at 10:30!

Hi ...can I chime in here......just back from 42 wonderful days on Radiance. Yes, the crew did a great job with the oil leak repair and fortunately for all of us we were stopped in calm seas so a lot of people probably didn't even notice until the Captain made his announcement!

We tried all of the specialty restaurants and loved them all. The Chef's Table is a fantastic experience....14 diners, good food, good wine, good service. However, as Karen noted....it is a long evening! We started at 6:30 with champagne and walked out at 10:30!

4 hours, even longer than I had heard. That is a good length for a shore excursion. :)

Karen, Sandy and Steve, i can't wait for my Alaska Cruise but I will be on the Jewel in a few months so I will be able to tell the difference as it has been a few years since I have been on Radiance:eek::cool:

Edited by flames

Gina

I totally agree. I cringed every time I walked through the Schooner Bar.:eek:

We were also lucky enough to spend 42 wonderful days on board. We tried them all and went back twice and three times in some cases.

I thought the Chef's Table was a wonderful experience. We were treated like royalty. Knowing it was going to be a long dinner we just settled in for the long haul and enjoyed every minute.

My wife, son and I willl be traveling on the Radiance for the second time (our third Radinance Class ship0 voyage) and I'm hoping someone here can answer a question. One of my favorite things to do as an early riser was to Go up to the Coffee station just outside the Windjamer which had a great view of the passing scenary/ocean and start my day..... I note on the deck plan of the Rivised revilitized Radiance that that location is now occupied by the Doghouse (complementary Hot Dogs) Where, now, do I go for coffee, or did RCCL put me in the doghouse.

My wife, son and I willl be traveling on the Radiance for the second time (our third Radinance Class ship0 voyage) and I'm hoping someone here can answer a question. One of my favorite things to do as an early riser was to Go up to the Coffee station just outside the Windjamer which had a great view of the passing scenary/ocean and start my day..... I note on the deck plan of the Rivised revilitized Radiance that that location is now occupied by the Doghouse (complementary Hot Dogs) Where, now, do I go for coffee, or did RCCL put me in the doghouse.

We were lucky to be sailing on the Radiance over Christmas and there was Tea and Coffee set up just outside the Dog house. :)