JUST RETURNED FROM QM2 back to back

deck chair

There was a time very recently where Kings Court was ruled by teens later in the evening. Sorry...those really badly dressed kids ruiend the experience for everyone else. Eating straight out of the buffet rather than taking a plate with the staff standing there and not knowing what to do. Possibly Cunard deceided to make it a better dining venue by upgrading the standards.

We have taken three very expensive 26 day voyages on the QM2 where in Hamburg, the guests board with the option of ...Kids under the age of 18 sail for free. Well, obviously that was taken advantage of and the trip was filled with stollers and teens. In all fairness...who could resist that offer. In the meantime, the rest of the travelers were subjected to strollers everywhere and teens who took over Kings Court in the evenings. Having people on CC telling us that kids have as much right to be there as we do.....not really, they didn't pay the fare. We paid full fare with the expectation of having an adult trip. We did pay the fare for the QM2....not Carnival.

Edited by brigittetom

Just a little correction. Cunard does not ever reveal that there is a "kids sail free" trip when you book the major voyage.

Hi Brigittetom. I've never seen a "kids sail free" offer for voyages departing from the USA... is that offer widely available? Thanks, Salacia

PARTIAL QUOTE

Hi Deck Chair, oh yes, I'm became a big fan of Herman Wouk after reading The Caine Mutiny. I read The Winds of War years ago, and I was sad to come to the end of the novel...but if I remember correctly, there was a sequel?

By the way, if you enjoy Wouk's writing, may I suggest one of his less known novels: Don't Stop the Carnival. Very suitable to a Caribbean cruise, IMHO.

Cheers,

Salcia

Read Winds of War as a 17-year old, and its sequel War & Remembrance. Some 35 years on i still have them and re-read them every couple of years.Great writer.

Hello:

If some young people behaved poorly in the Kings court that is most unfortunate but in my experience it is hardly the norm....I have NEVER seen young people running wild on this ship or acting in a rude impolite fashion. Perhaps others have and I hope they share their experiences.

Young people traveling with their parents certainly are entitled to take advantage of all that is appropriate for them even if they are traveling free. SHOULD THEY JUST BE LOCKED IN THEIR CABINS??? NOT BE ALLOWED TO EAT IN KINGS COURT??? Are they not allowed to have any fun??? No doubt some would argue that the young ones traveling for free shouldn't even be allowed space in a lifeboat if the ship should sink.

The fact that they didn't pay for their own passage is not relevant at least to me . I like having the kids on board. They add more life and vitality to the ship. They remind me of my own childhood when I traveled on board ships. If a few misbehave please don't overreact. And remember some adults on the ship misbehave...and are rude and impolite...and I hope they are not in the same lifeboat with me....

Also, my understanding is that the kids who travel for free as a result of special Cunard promotions are doing so in their parent's cabins....if this arangement allows families on budgets to travel together and enjoy Queen MAry that is fine by me...I SAY GREAT!!!!

THE PURSERS DESK: During my crossings I had numerous interactions with the fine young people serving passengers at the Pursers Desk. The staff was always cheerful, helpful and professional. Given the wild number of passenger personalities on board, the staff does an excellent job of dealing with all sorts of issues. AND SOME OF THESE PASSENGERS CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH! (And they aren't the kids!) From getting me the New York Times digest every late morning, to retrieving cash, to working out an error in my acccount they were ALL fabulous...and they work very long hours. So please don't forget to ask them how they are doing, to say please and thank you....it goes a long way....

Thinking of the Pursers Desk, I always enjoy the once a voyage daytime sing along with the Mark Hodgson Trio in the main lobby....Great musicians playing along with the voices of passengers singing wonderful songs such as "DANNY BOY" as the Queen Mary 2 races through the waves to New York....what could be better than that???

TO BE CONTINUED....

DECK CHAIR

Edited by deck chair

Hello!!!

STRATEGIES FOR THE OFFICERS TABLES: First of all I sure wish I was back on Queen Mary and regret not booking the current transatlantic crossing which features the National Symphony Orchestra....how awesome will that be....of course I have to stay home and be strong for everyone!!!! I am staying home to be strong for you!!! I can't be in the Chart Room listening to the Mark Hodgson Trio....with tons of candlelight....I can't be wandering around the promenade deck watching the waves and clouds..and seabirds as the ship draws closer to land...I can't be in the Commodore Club listening to Campbell Simpson playing wonderful songs on the piano by candlelight....I can't be in the dining room having fun with my tablemates....

On my last crossing about which I am writing, I met a very fine couple from America who told me that had received an invitation to dine at the Captain's table....The wife expressed great anxiety over this and wondered if she should decline....to her it was a scary prospect....how to behave, what to say to the Captain, what to say to the others at the table....would the table be filled with haughty snobs...etc...

Of course, I quite understood and frankly had experienced the same anxiety when first assigned to the Doctor's table in the fabulous Caronia dining room on the QE2 for a long voyage....Dr. Martin Carroll turned out to be a wonderful host and a good time was had by all...And he hosted private parties for his table invitees... an added plus....AND A LOT OF FUN!!!

I experienced the same anxiety when first invited to dine at the Captain's table in the Caronia dining room for a long voyage on QE2....(On QE2 at least through 2003, my last time on board, you were invited for the entire voyage not just for one night...you really got to know the Captain...and could enjoy a private party in his cabin....Unfortunately I have only been to the Captain's table once on Queen Mary....please write to Cunard to get me more invitations!!!!

This is the best strategy to employ and has worked for me: BE YOURSELF!!!! DO NOT BE STIFF. DO NOT BE WORRIED WHAT OTHERS ARE THINKING OR SAYING BECAUSE THEY LIKELY HAVE THE SAME CONCERNS AS YOU!!! BE ENGAGING!!!! BE FUN!!!! BE CAPTIVATING!!! BE CHARMING AND WONDERFUL!!!!

Not only will the Captain appreciate that informal tone but will make for a more enjoyable evening....what officer wants to host a table filled with stiff people afraid to open up and be themselves...Not me if I was the Captain!!! I would rather be on the bridge during very foggy conditions!!!

I gave my advice to my worried friends and so she and her husband decided to go and ended up having the best time ever.....

If I may add, in my opinion, the Captain's table on Queen Mary is too big which makes cross table converstaion difficult...The captain's table on QE2 was set for 8...which made converstion much easier IMHO....

Unless practices on Queen Mary have changed, if you are at the Chief Engineers table or Doctors table, you are there for the duration not just for one night like the Captain's table....you received no formal invitation to dine at those tables you are just assigned by the luck of the draw. If you should desire to sit at these tables for the voyage just consult with the MD and perhaps he can make it happen....keep in mind, officers are present only during the second sitting....and again, if you are so fortunate, please just be yourself!!!

To finish for today, unless I simply have not been invited I really do miss the WARD ROOM parties held on QE2....what fantastic affairs they were!!!! What great views from this forward facing room. What great drinks! Yes, they were very crowded but they were so much fun!!!! God they were fun....

TO BE CONTINUED IF I MAY...

DECK CHAIR

Edited by deck chair

I've always wondered what was so special about sitting at the Captain's table. Yes I know it's quite a fun idea (well to me it is, rather than daunting), but this whole idea of "meeting the captain" is beyond me. Why people would queue up for ages just to have their photograph with him.

When we were on the QM2 in September, we were going to the cocktail party on the first formal night and happened to queue up at the "wrong door". The other entrance was walk staight in apparently, but we went in the "meet the captain" door and the queue was so so long. We were presented to him, had our photo taken, and by then, had nowhere to sit in the Queens Room!

The Commodore was very pleasant and it was a non event as far as we were concerned. We met him on deck on occasion and he was always gave a friendly smile.

Maybe I don't have that feeling that I should be bowing to him, not that he expects that attitude. But I get the feeling that a lot of fellow passengers treat him like a pop star, waiting to get his autograph and gawp at him!

Officers are humans like other passengers. They have a job to do on the ship and do it well. I treat them with respect.

If I were ever to be assigned dinner with any officer, I think I would enjoy it. So I agree with you, Deck Chair, just being yourself is great!

Hello

One reason I think so fondly back on my two recent crossings (And can hardly wait for my next crossings) is the wonderful attentive dinner service provided in the Britannia Dining Room by two waiters and a knowledgeable wine steward. The waiters were happy to take special requests off the menu within reason. (This is not the Queens Grill after all.) The waiters were very quick to remember the special preferences of their charges. One did not get the impression the waiters were at all stressed out by having too many tables to serve. All this great service was overseen by the table captain who made sure to come by on a regular basis to make sure all was well...and 99.99% of the time it was!!!

I love the ambiance in the dining room with the dim lighting complemented by candlelight. What a romantic tone this sets! When was the last time you had candlelight on an airplane?????

As I have noted earlier, my favorite place to be in this dining room is the highest level next to a broad window overlooking the sea....I think it is a quieter less stuffy location. Of course others prefer to be in the main level with all the ambiance and drama that provides. Each to his own.

I do wish the string quartet, which you now barely hear, would wander around the dining room to play. Perhaps they can alternate sections for the evening... That way you can REALLY hear the music Wouldn't that be wonderful???

With respect to the new dress code for Kings Court dining venues, I sure hope it is reversed because the special nature of Cunard Ships will suffer otherwise. Cunard needs to revisit this policy and understand you can't be all things to all people. Cunard must understand if you give those passengers who don't respect tradition license to dress casually in Kings Court with not even a coat required it will certainly bleed into other public rooms as those passengers finish eating and wander about the ship. Does anyone think they are going to be troubled to go back to their cabins and change to formal dress??? So soon the tone will begin going downhill and it will be hard to reverse....is that what Cunard Wants Mr. Peter Shanks???

I generally avoid the Britannia for breakfast and lunch preferring KIngs Court or Samuel Adams...everytime i wandered by Britannia during breakfast or lunch hours there usually was a line out the door as passengers waited for tables. Just too busy for me...And you don't usually get the same waiters who serve you at dinner so that personal touch is missing. What do you think???

One thing missing on Queen Mary is a COMMUNITY BULLETIN BOARD on which passengers can post messages seeking companions for shipboard activities or seeking passengers to share a cab ride from the pier...on cruises with ports of call, passengers can seek out those who would like to share in the cost of private tours....what do you think? would you use a community bulletin board???

This is what every Queen MAry 2 passenger must do at least once on each crossing....visit the very aft of the ship and gaze down at the wake or go to the 11 deck observation point overlooking the bow and think of all those who have gone before you, think of the lives they led and how perhaps an ocean voyage changed their lives and inspired them to contribute great things....and how that will happen to you...Yes???

To be continued...

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

[quote name=

]I've always wondered what was so special about sitting at the Captain's table. Yes I know it's quite a fun idea (well to me it is, rather than daunting), but this whole idea of "meeting the captain" is beyond me. Why people would queue up for ages just to have their photograph with him.

When we were on the QM2 in September, we were going to the cocktail party on the first formal night and happened to queue up at the "wrong door". The other entrance was walk staight in apparently, but we went in the "meet the captain" door and the queue was so so long. We were presented to him, had our photo taken, and by then, had nowhere to sit in the Queens Room!

The Commodore was very pleasant and it was a non event as far as we were concerned. We met him on deck on occasion and he was always gave a friendly smile.

Maybe I don't have that feeling that I should be bowing to him, not that he expects that attitude. But I get the feeling that a lot of fellow passengers treat him like a pop star, waiting to get his autograph and gawp at him!

Officers are humans like other passengers. They have a job to do on the ship and do it well. I treat them with respect.

If I were ever to be assigned dinner with any officer, I think I would enjoy it. So I agree with you, Deck Chair, just being yourself is great!

karenbeanpole, I very much enjoyed reading your post. And if those who issue invites to the Captain's Table have any sense, they would invite you at the next available opportunity. Your straight-forward style would liven up the table! :) Cheers, -S.

Thanks Salacia. Btw we didn't buy the photograph they took :D

Deck Chair, we loved standing at the aft of the ship and gazing - it was so peaceful.

We enjoyed lunch in the Brittania as I am not a fan of buffets anymore - can't decide what to eat, too much food all over and end up eating nothing in particular. I never got up for breakfast on this occasion, the lull of the ship and the late nights in the Queens Room never allowed me out of bed before 11.30!

When we were having dinner in the Brittania I remarked that music was missing and how nice it would be for the strings to play in the dining room. So I agree with you there Deck Chair, we would love some music, if not every night, maybe on formal nights at least.

Hi

Actually the strings do play in the dining room on formal evenings in Britannia. They are placed in the entrance on the second level. They are difficult to hear in most of the room. Having the talented group move around to different sections would be an improvement. Thanks.

Deck Chair

Please do not encourage RADA to butcher any more plays. Their Shakespearean productions are patronising and condescending in the extreme. A sort of Shakespeare for Dummies. I feel sorry for the actors because they know as do we all that you cannot DO HAMLET IN 45 MINUTES, or Richard lll another travesty perpetrated on QM2 some time ago. The plays you mention would not lend themselves to the kind of surgery inflicted on poor old Bill. And besides they are so dark and depressing that half the audience would probably throw themselves over the side afterwards. They are hardly holiday material. Canterbury Tales, yes OK. This is a picaresque story, in fact simply several short stories and is well suited to shortening. It was a good romp.

As for playwriting and poetry competions PLEASE PLEASE NO. If you were on board for the songwriting cruise you would understand my plea. Such self-indulgent, self-regarding tuneless droning would be hard to imagine if one had not heard it. Those people took themselves far too seriously, stalking about all day with their guitars permanently attached to their backs. And one more thing about RADA, these are professional actors trained at supposedly the finest acting school in the world. Why then do they have to read the poems at their gatherings. They do what, about two or three poems each, that shouldn't be so hard to learn for professionals. Even I could do that and I'm in my dotage.

Ratty

As a personal friend of several RADA graduates that have traveled on the QM2, I can tell you for certain that they would MUCH rather DO the Shakespeare plays in their entirety, but are restricted by the time allotted them by Cunard. It's a combination of having to share the stage with the various rehearsals that go on during the day, and the belief by Cunard that the majority of passengers don't want to devote multiple hours to seeing a play. Add to that, that RADA is only allotted 6 members, they must also make the plays work with just 6 characters. Your comment about RADA butchering plays is mean spirited and frankly ignorant. They are doing the best that they can in the confines that they have been given. And unless your last name is Streep or Richardson or Redgrave, I suggest you not cast dispersions on actors that have worked hard to achieve the prestigious right to call themselves RADA graduates. Armchair theatre critics, just as armchair sports "experts" are so tedious to those in the industry who know the realities of what performers (or athletes) have to deal with in their work. As a classically trained actor myself (with Broadway credits, I might add!!), I can tell you from personal experience that the RADA troupes have done quite well with their adaptations, and are all quite talented. And no, I'm NOT a RADA graduate, and therefore not one of the performers on board. But I get so tired of ignorant laypeople thinking they know enough to judge professionally trained actors who in most cases, I might add, all have West End or BBC or film credits to their names prior to boarding the QM2.

And, by the way, if you hated the songs being written by passengers on that wonderful addition the crossing options, then simply DON'T GO! It's a big ship... There's plenty other things for you to do. At least those people were attempting to do something in a world they would otherwise only be an observer. I say good for them. And if the songs are bad, then so what? At least they're trying. I've also seen some passengers dancing in the Queen's Room that don't have the steps right or good rhythm and I've seen shuffleboard players on the top deck that are quite bad at the game. Should they be blocked from those activities as well?

You've chosen your name well, I'll say that much for you. I can only hope that none of the RADA actors have had the misfortune of reading your cruel comments. They deserve better for their efforts!!

Edited by SailorManBilly
Typo

As a personal friend of several RADA graduates that have traveled on the QM2, I can tell you for certain that they would MUCH rather DO the Shakespeare plays in their entirety, but are restricted by the time allotted them by Cunard. It's a combination of having to share the stage with the various rehearsals that go on during the day, and the belief by Cunard that the majority of passengers don't want to devote multiple hours to seeing a play. Add to that, that RADA is only allotted 6 members, they must also make the plays work with just 6 characters. Your comment about RADA butchering plays is mean spirited and frankly ignorant. They are doing the best that they can in the confines that they have been given. And unless your last name is Streep or Richardson or Redgrave, I suggest you not cast dispersions on actors that have worked hard to achieve the prestigious right to call themselves RADA graduates. Armchair theatre critics, just as armchair sports "experts" are so tedious to those in the industry who know the realities of what performers (or athletes) have to deal with in their work. As a classically trained actor myself (with Broadway credits, I might add!!), I can tell you from personal experience that the RADA troupes have done quite well with their adaptations, and are all quite talented. And no, I'm NOT a RADA graduate, and therefore not one of the performers on board. But I get so tired of ignorant laypeople thinking they know enough to judge professionally trained actors who in most cases, I might add, all have West End or BBC or film credits to their names prior to boarding the QM2.

You've chosen your name well, I'll say that much for you. I can only hope that none of the RADA actors have had the misfortune of reading your cruel comments. They deserve better for their efforts!!

I thought the poster was criticising the abridged plays and felt sorry for the actors.

Please do not forget that your 'ignorant laypeople' may often be experienced theatregoers and very capable of judging quality.

I have enjoyed the RADA workshops with 3 of the companies onboard- they varied in quality but were enjoyable. However, the same cannot be said of the performances. The first production I saw was 'The Importance of being Earnest'. The theatre was packed but sadly the play lost much if its comedy in the shortened version. The disappointed comments, I could hear, were not from ignorant people but people who obviously knew the play well. Similarly, Othello et al were spoiled by cutting vital scenes.

Again, 'favourite' poems read rather than recited or performed and quite dodgy attempts at regional accents.

The RADA actors are part of the Cunard image. Their role could easily be fulfilled by experienced amateurs but our drama certificates wouldn't look half as impressive signed by the local amdram group.;)

There was a time very recently where Kings Court was ruled by teens later in the evening.

I have this vision of Kings Court being barricaded as the teens rise up and take over.

Taking my vision to extremes :D, I then foresee the teens settling their disputes with a dance-off.

web.jpg?ver=13178920870001

Now there's an idea for the Wintergarden - a space for gangs to settle disputes :D

When my wife and I were on QV in July I smiled and said good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone I passed or encountered at dinner, in bars, shops, etc; I got the same response back from 95% of the people I met, the ones that ignored me or just snorted or whatever I just ignored. I have found, not just on cruises, that you have to reach out to other people, some are shy and find it difficult to talk to others, so give them the opportunity by speaking first, works for me anyway. ;)

Philayl - Always the possibility the person who does not respond is hard of hearing, is feeling queasy, or just has too much on his mind to notice a greeting. 95% of anything says it all in most studies and it seems to me you hit the jackpot in responses while on the QV. Jack Morris

Philayl - Always the possibility the person who does not respond is hard of hearing, is feeling queasy, or just has too much on his mind to notice a greeting. 95% of anything says it all in most studies and it seems to me you hit the jackpot in responses while on the QV. Jack Morris

My son is deaf but he still recognises a smile! But I must stress I don't worry about no responses, I just carry on. I remember saying Good Evening to a woman in the lift one day, whereupon she launched into a tirade of doom and gloom, and the only way things could possibly get worse is if the ship sank, which was just about the time I wished it would.:eek:

THE PURSERS DESK: During my crossings I had numerous interactions with the fine young people serving passengers at the Pursers Desk. The staff was always cheerful, helpful and professional. Given the wild number of passenger personalities on board, the staff does an excellent job of dealing with all sorts of issues. AND SOME OF THESE PASSENGERS CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH! (And they aren't the kids!) From getting me the New York Times digest every late morning, to retrieving cash, to working out an error in my acccount they were ALL fabulous...and they work very long hours. So please don't forget to ask them how they are doing, to say please and thank you....it goes a long way....

DECK CHAIR

First of all I am not a difficult passenger - honest! And I agree with virtually all of what you say above - except on my recent voyage there was one (and only one) member of the pursers desk team who was quite simply totally inadequate for the job. He/she was also not cheerful, and not actually helpful.

I was very patient and extremely polite as I always am, but he/she could not deal with any of my queries without frustratingly first referring (behind the scenes) to someone else (leaving me waiting several minutes each time). On 2 separate occasions he/she gave me totally incorrect information. Yet he/she was (or seemed to be) at the desk every time I visited and in the end I learned the art of giving up my place in the queue on more than one occasion so that I could see another member of the excellent team!! (As a result I then overheard other passengers having exactly the same kind of problems I had had!).

I think he/she was a trainee but unfortunately their lack of knowledge could have had disastrous consequences for us on one occasion had I not rechecked later with another member of the team. English was also not the first language and I suspect this added to the problems. I have no objection to trainees learning on the job - indeed that is the best way to learn - but they must be properly supervised as the pursers office is such an important part of any ship. I got the impression that he/she was not enjoying their role and felt somewhat vulnerable - and I was as kind as I could be. I used to have to deal with very irate members of the public in my job sometimes so I know what it is like to be on the receiving end and wouldn't inflict that myself on anyone!

So maybe a tactful message for Cunard here about not chucking your trainees in at the deep end?

BTW - I had a wonderful time on the QM2 - service, food, facilities, lectures, etc and overall experience was superb. I wish I could travel on her again tomorrow!

Hi

You want to know what the greatest thing is when you are on a Queen Mary 2 Trans-Atlantic crossing??? Waking up in your cabin... and the first thing you do is look out to the sea and think: THIS IS SO AWESOME BEING OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWWHERE ON THIS FABULOUS OCEAN ON THIS SHIP!!! An if you are with your lovebird you will want to make LOVE because there is no other place like being out in the middle of nowhere to make love....ESPECIALLY ON A SHIP FIGHTING THROUGH THE SEAS....

Look at the seas: See if there are any whitecaps. See if there are any neat cloud formations. See if there is fog. See if the fog horn is going like this: BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB......BBBBBBBBBBBBBB.....BBBBBBBBBBB...

See if the waves are splashing all over the place because you are in very high seas...SEE IF YOU CAN SPOT SURVIVORS OF Titanic floating around still hoping for rescue. See if there are any whales... See if the whales are trying to charge the ship with the intent to sink her like they did the whaleship ESSEX... People listen: YOU CANNOT DO THIS ON AN AIRPLANE!!!! (I have never see a whale from an airplane. Have you???

So, if you can possibly afford it, please book an OUTSIDE CABIN BECAUSE THE BRIDGE CAM VIEW FROM THE TV IS NOT THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!

When I was on these two crossings I wondered if Cunard is going to expand the levels for the World CLub. Currently, like many readers, I am a Diamond level member so there is no higher LEVEL to reach....If Cunard is wise and to avoid members such as I trying other cruise lines such as Crystal, it should develop even a higher level that could perhaps be called THE BLACK LEVEL with all sorts of additional benefits such as more internet time, more off on laundry, a free dinner at Todd Engish, a tour of the bridge, priority tender service, or a special services desk......or on Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth, free access to a Box in the Royal Court on night....a special tour of the galley etc....

This is what is special about Queen Mary 2: No matter what, my first evening on Queen Mary 2 is spent in the Commodore Club, a wonderful rather intimate lounge overlooking the bow of the ship. Of course, Campbell Simpson is usually there playing the piano....and this is what is so special about Campbell...he always plays a beautiful BACH CANTATA just for me!!! So thank you , Campbell!!!

Tell me, can you have that on an airplane???? i WISH i WAS ON THE PROMENADE DECK RIGHT NOW LOOKING OUT AT THAT SEA....HOW ABOUT YOU????

TO BE CONTINUED

DECK CHAIR

Edited by deck chair

You want to know what the greatest thing is when you are on a Queen Mary 2 Trans-Atlantic crossing??? Waking up in your cabin... and the first thing you do is look out to the sea and think: THIS IS SO AWESOME BEING OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWWHERE ON THIS FABULOUS OCEAN ON THIS SHIP!!!

Amen. It was wonderful being able to open the curtains and then hop back into bed and watch the sea go by.

An if you are with your lovebird you will want to make LOVE because there is no other place like being out in the middle of nowhere to make love....ESPECIALLY ON A SHIP FIGHTING THROUGH THE SEAS....

Oh gosh :)

web.jpg?ver=13187300510001

When I was on these two crossings I wondered if Cunard is going to expand the levels for the World CLub. Currently, like many readers, I am a Diamond level member so there is no higher LEVEL to reach....If Cunard is wise and to avoid members such as I trying other cruise lines such as Crystal, it should develop even a higher level that could perhaps be called THE BLACK LEVEL with all sorts of additional benefits such as more internet time, more off on laundry, a free dinner at Todd Engish, a tour of the bridge, priority tender service, or a special services desk......or on Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth, free access to a Box in the Royal Court on night....a special tour of the galley etc....

What a good idea. And they should also revisit the current requirements to move between levels. The jump required from Gold to Platinum and then from Platinum to Diamond is too high. They should halve it. Anyone who is currently at Diamond status should be rewarded further with additional benefits over and above what they currently receive.

It's probably not a case of overworking the band but overworking the bar waiters. Afterall, even though the Queen's Room may not be serving drinks in the morning, those bar waiters will be relocated to somewhere else. Imagine if they worked them until everyone had left and then they had to start work again in the morning and they did this 7 days a week for months on end. That would make for some exhausted crew!

Actually, no. All they have to do is rotate shifts. Those that work late shifts, start late. Those that get off early, start early. Same with the Casino. We've been told that the casino has to close early to allow the casino staff to "get their rest". Please.....there are shifts. We have a friend who has a daughter working on Celebrity. Her favorite nights are when a "fellow worker" is getting off the ship to go home. The plan is to close the casino as early as possible so they can have the going away party downstairs. Obviously all the staff work very hard jobs but the bottom line is still...they obviously chose this job and it does involve passengers. :)

Hello one and all!

On these two crossings, the weather for the fourteen days was really marvelous except for a couple of days. When I say marvelous, I mean that you could be out on deck reading, perhaps sunning, swimming or walking about the decks. We had many sunny days mixed with some cloudy days but never any significant fog. There were two days when t he as the deck chairs were not set up.

I never heard the fog horn once which is a bit disappointing since I love that sound....on the last day before arriving in New York the weather was so drop dead gorgeous that even Commodore Rynd and his wife were walking on the promenade deck chatting with passengers enjoying the day.

Contrast this weather with last year's crossings when it was pretty much one horrible foggy day after another....no matter what, it is wise to pack a sweater or wind breaker because it never gets above the 70's degrees give or take.

DECK CHAIR

It sounds like a wonderful idea. I am beginning to think that I should stop traveling back and forth and just do the back to back crossings and relax. 14 days with no worries about carrying luggage, etc would be great. :) New York to Southampton and back would be so enjoyable.

It sounds like a wonderful idea. I am beginning to think that I should stop traveling back and forth and just do the back to back crossings and relax. 14 days with no worries about carrying luggage, etc would be great. :) New York to Southampton and back would be so enjoyable.

You should do it. All 'ewes' (Australian joke) that live in the USA & UK are lucky that you have transatlantics right on your doorstep. You don't have to travel a million miles to get there.