Should a search be enforced before starting a new thread?

jcrandle

I don't suggest that the requirement to search before starting a new thread is going to eliminate all duplicate questions, but I believe it is better than no rule at all. As Gen. Patton said,"A good plan, violently executed today, is far better than the best plan, executed tomorrow."

All you are trying to say is at least try a search on a subject before posting. It's not too hard to do once you learn how. Lots of things get deleted, true. But so much good information is here to stay.

I would say that it depends actually. Although some information from searches is just what I was looking for, at times I prefer to get more current up to date information. Not everything stays the same for weeks, months and years! I think the suggestion of "informing" folks of how to use the search feature is more useful than unleashing the thread police. I also support the notion that if a thread topic is boring to you it might be a good idea to refrain from participating in it. Newer, less jaded members might be pleased to help a newbie out.

I would say that it depends actually. Although some information from searches is just what I was looking for, at times I prefer to get more current up to date information. Not everything stays the same for weeks, months and years! I think the suggestion of "informing" folks of how to use the search feature is more useful than unleashing the thread police. I also support the notion that if a thread topic is boring to you it might be a good idea to refrain from participating in it. Newer, less jaded members might be pleased to help a newbie out.

I think many are referring to those posts that are hours old, and yes, those are the ones that happen most often. A thread can be posted and within hours or a day, someone posts the exact same question. Doesn't take much to scan through the first page or two, just to get an idea of what threads are out there. Also, if we decide to just ignore the post, because we have posted the same thing over and over, how is that helping the poster? I personally think it is more helpful to suggest that they do a search, then to ignore the question altogether... There is no easy answer of course, but kind suggestions always work :D

Sometimes I search, I almost always scan two pages, and sometimes I just ask a new question - as someone else mentioned, I don't care about what happened a year ago, I want to know what is happening now and is planned for the future.

No, I'm not in favor of an enforced search. It doesn't always get you the answer you need, and many times folks will post a quick question that they need a quick and simple answer for.

I think the thread police, like the fashion police, have too much time on their hands.

Guest Time2gocruzn

I can see what you mean..some of the questions do get a bit repetitive. By just scanning over the first 2 or 3 pages you can find lots of info...I know I found lots of things/topics I had not even thought of by doing this, which lead to more questions, which lead to more looking, which lead to more questions, LOL. I do a search sometimes, but it depends on what I am looking for and what I come up with that makes me decide whether or not to post a new thread. I think the mods have enough on their plate, not sure how they would regulate a rule like manditory searches. There are enough "rules" no need for something like mandatory searches! If everybody was searching and depending on old threads it would cut down on the number of new threads which would cut down on the most current info and interesting conversation;)

So much depends on what words were used in the search and what was used in the Titles. The question may have been answered many times before but if you don't use the right words in the search, you find nothing that relates to the question you searched for.

Right now, one of the hot topics is can you carry lighters on airplanes. I just read where most major airports are not allowing them. I just flew through Orlando a week ago and mine went through with flying colors. I'd say Orlando was a pretty big airport. Had I just taken the advice from the posting, my lighter would not have been allowed. Had I ask if Orlando was still allowing them, hopefully somebody that had just went through there would have answered that they were still allowing them. Crazy example but that's the only one I could think of.

Bottom line...just because it's so today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow. Ask away. That's why I come here, to find out what's going on now, not a year ago. It's just as easy to answer a question than it is to tell somebody to do a search. Heck, half of us would never have anything to post if that's all we needed to do.

IMO, the reason there are so many Jeans/babys/smoking/formal night repeated questions (besides those that are started by bridge dwellers) is that they always eventually get pulled, so the search feature hardly works for them.

Except, of course, while there is a poster frenzy on the topic.

Isn't there still a sticky explaining how to use the search feature? Fact remains, CC has asked it's members, politely, to use the search feature and browse before posting... it really can make a world of difference... Right now there are what? 10 recent tuxedo postings? A simple search, or browse of the first and second page, could have answered the questions... It's really not too difficult. I do agree though on the diapers and jeans threads, they usually don't last very long!!! :D

What does it say about people when even this question turns into a debate!!

This is too funny!! ;) No wonder baby diapers in the pool turns into an argument when just the question of posting questions gets debated. :D

Are we all lawyers or politicians at heart (Perish the thought!) :p

No I don't think we should require a search first. A lot of folks get on here to share the "love" and chat with people with a little more experience at the cruising game, as well as to garner more info. My take is real simple - If you are tired of answering the same old questions - don't. Those of us who enjoy sharing our experiences and knowledge can answer those questions and thereby let newbies know we are for the most part pretty nice folks - not a group of "elite" snobs that think we know it all. Jeez!

I will repeat (although you can also search within a thread :rolleyes: :p ).... it has NOTHING to do with "elite" and "snobs"... it is part of the COMMUNITY GUIDELINES of the board!!! CC is asking this, NOT only the members!!! Geesh!

From the Community Guidelines...

Please Browse BEFORE You Post Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. This is your #1 best resource! And please post your messages in an appropriate folder so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to return misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics

The one that gets me is instead of posting someting like "Newbie to Cruising With Many Questions", you get the newbie that posts a different thread for every single question they have. I think we had one person in the last week or so that posted at least 10 new threads a day on stuff he could have asked all in one thread...and he posted 3 different threads on the SAME question.

Those really kill me. Like a hyperactive child...

Oh and the people who post their questions in the wrong folder. How hard is it to look at a topic folder and post your question in the appropriate folder???

The one that gets me is instead of posting someting like "Newbie to Cruising With Many Questions", you get the newbie that posts a different thread for every single question they have. I think we had one person in the last week or so that posted at least 10 new threads a day on stuff he could have asked all in one thread...and he posted 3 different threads on the SAME question.

I remember that one :rolleyes:

???

You have to have patience with those that don't understand their way around a message board. That's not really asking a lot.

Let's be nice. :)

Archived