Should a search be enforced before starting a new thread?

jcrandle

I certainly am not suggesting that the "Thread Police" enforce the requirement that a search be done prior to originating a new thread. I believe it could be simply enforced by automatically bringing up the search screen when a CC initiates a new thread, and has not done a search in that session. There's no need to have that screen be judgemental, just inform the poster that a search must be done prior to creating a new thread.

The fora that I used didn't even check to see if you bothered to look at any posts, or used search arguments that related to the thread that you were creating. Nevertheless, it substantially reduced the reasking of questions that had been already answered.

As to the point made that one of the CC functions is to provide social interaction, rather than just to answer questions, that could be addressed by providing "how ya doing?" boards, as well as question & answer boards.

My suggestion was not intended to work a hardship in any way, just to reduce the number of duplicate posts. I certainly don't think it is a perfect solution, as threads will roll off and get deleted, but I did want to see if there was a concensus. As of now, it doesn't appear that the majority of the responders are interested in codifying the oft-ignored CC guidelines that ask us to search before creating a new thread.

So be it.

(Oh, and one quick question: Has anyone ever tried smuggling in booze inside their baby's waterproof diaper?)

Good question. Have you tried the search feature yet?:D

Originally Posted by derf5585

Lets talk about the elephant in the room. In order to become a "Blue Ribbon" or "5000+" poster one must post a lot of posts. Any type of post counts. Since vBulletin which started about 9 months ago. If one wants to be a "5000+" poster that works out to 19 posts a day.

Did you know that one CruiseCritter has 26,923 posts. That works out to 100 posts a day.

derf,

I would guess that you are refering to that section of CC where you can do a run-up of your post-count by playing games and starting inane threads.;) Some people do have some extraordinary post-counts over some very short time periods.:eek:

Did you ever think that possibly they didnt know where or how to use the search function?

They were smart enough to find CC:rolleyes:

The sticky at the top of the forum gives details on the search function. There are two spots at the top of every forum that say SEARCH. So "being able to find it" isn't an issue. And "not knowing about it"?? As mentioned SO many times, it is plainly stated in the community guidelines... so we all know about it... then again, I'm sure most just simply "agree" to the guidelines but don't really read them...

Guest Time2gocruzn

Like I said, I do try to do a quick scan first, but I think that you should feel like you can post what you want (within reason) here, and not have to worry about being scrutinized for your intentions, spelling, intelligence, etc. There are always going to be people who are new to boards that happen to make mistakes but that is no reason to make them feel like an idiot. I have spent a lot of time on this board, and learned a lot, but I have started to frequent another cruise board where there is a lot less of this type of stuff. I am glad I have found somewhere I can go to that is the same topic with a lot less ...ahem...<searching for the correct word, give me a minute>....people who are quick to jump on others mistakes and start debates for kicks. A girl needs options, ya know?! LOL Don't get me wrong, I love this board, but sometimes things can get down right nasty.

Ya know in life everybody has their own idea of how things and people SHOULD be, but chances are that's not the way it is, so just deal with it. It's called tolerance people, and if you don't have some, you should get some, it'll make life much easier:)

I'm sure this board didn't have set guidelines and rules back when it had say, 1000 members... but now that there are over 100K members, rules and guidelines have to be put in place or it would be out of control. If a community asks us to do something to make things run smoother... we can a) comply or b) not and find another place. There are plenty of boards out there, I happen to post at a couple as well... but while they are fun, they have not grown enough yet to be able to provide the information found here... I don't think it is "intolerant" to ask people to familiarize themselves with the community guidelines and do their best to follow them... but that is just MHO :D

I'm against it. New information pops up all the time and answers to common questions may change and grow as the experiences of more and more people become available. Encourage, yes. Mandate, no.

Cheers,

Friday

That's true but our hopes are that "someday" the threads with the not so current info will be updated by a new question instead of a dozen posts on the same subject......AND.......on page one that I had to clear out the other night.:rolleyes:

That's true but our hopes are that "someday" the threads with the not so current info will be updated by a new question instead of a dozen posts on the same subject......AND.......on page one that I had to clear out the other night.:rolleyes:

Randy I saw all those posts the other night.You at least got rid of them some of the other sites that were "hit" still have them posted.

Ironically I posted an exact question on the same day no less as an identical question. I really try and search at least a couple of pages before I even start a thread. I still don't know how I overlooked that thread?

Of course with my cruise coming up very quickly, I'm starting to get in more of a hurry so please forgive me if I start a redundant thread!! :)

Ironically I posted an exact question on the same day no less as an identical question. I really try and search at least a couple of pages before I even start a thread. I still don't know how I overlooked that thread?

Of course with my cruise coming up very quickly, I'm starting to get in more of a hurry so please forgive me if I start a redundant thread!! :)

LOl.....not a problem......that's all we ask is to try.;)

Randy I saw all those posts the other night.You at least got rid of them some of the other sites that were "hit" still have them posted.

Dang....what did I miss??

Guest Time2gocruzn
I don't think it is "intolerant" to ask people to familiarize themselves with the community guidelines and do their best to follow them... but that is just MHO :D

Oh..no no, of course it isnt! :) Of course people should be aware of the rules no matter how many members or what board. BUT...in MHO it is mean and unnecessary when people jump all over a person who may be new and did not necessarily follow the rules to the letter. Usually mistakes by someone new to the board as just simple harmless things, like not doing a search. (yet posts intentionally meant to start sh*t are allowed to remain?!?) I guess if they make a duplicate post right on top of another one of the same subject, maybe the mod should send them a polite e-mail reminding them of the rules. That e mail, along with not getting many replies to their thread will help them figure out a search can be very beneficial. I don't think they should be publicly humiliated though, I don't think it is my job to remind everyone who screws up of the rules, KWIM?

How many people do you think read this thread and though oh crap, I hope they aren't talking about me? Sure now they have been verbally spanked, but geez, was it really necessary?

Oh..no no, of course it isnt! :) Of course people should be aware of the rules no matter how many members or what board. BUT...in MHO it is mean and unnecessary when people jump all over a person who may be new and did not necessarily follow the rules to the letter. Usually mistakes by someone new to the board as just simple harmless things, like not doing a search. (yet posts intentionally meant to start sh*t are allowed to remain?!?) I guess if they make a duplicate post right on top of another one of the same subject, maybe the mod should send them a polite e-mail reminding them of the rules. That e mail, along with not getting many replies to their thread will help them figure out a search can be very beneficial. I don't think they should be publicly humiliated though, I don't think it is my job to remind everyone who screws up of the rules, KWIM?

How many people do you think read this thread and though oh crap, I hope they aren't talking about me? Sure now they have been verbally spanked, but geez, was it really necessary?

LOL, I agree with much of what you say... but I promise you, some people will read this thread... heck, it can sit at the top of the page... and they still won't get it, LOL! Prime example... the sticky that remained at the top of the page about "Roll calls", and there were still 10 posts a day of "Are you going with me", LOL! People read what THEY want to read... and that's just not going to change... I just take it in stride... worse things in life! :D

You tried,Thats awesome!:)

The same question is asked over and over. I am never annoyed by that. It is usually by someone new to the boards. So be kind, answer their questions and if you like, maybe give a link where they might find some more information on the subject. That is much kinder than jumping all over them. Possibly even suggest a search so that they might find even more inforamtion.

The positive to a question being asked again, in my opinion, is that there is always new blood here and new experiences to be shared. Things are always changing. If you search and the thread is old, you may not be getting acurate information.

Don't open the thread if you are annoyed by the question being asked once again. Simply skip over it. Some of us don't mind helpin out with the same old question. JMO

The same question is asked over and over. I am never annoyed by that. It is usually by someone new to the boards. So be kind, answer their questions and if you like, maybe give a link where they might find some more information on the subject. That is much kinder than jumping all over them. Possibly even suggest a search so that they might find even more inforamtion.

I generally answer questions over and over again... and sometimes I DO suggest a search, very nicely... however, I have also been jumped on for doing that as well. I also, as many will notice, will do the searching MYSELF and post links... it's simply not that difficult... but people should be taught how to do it for themselves... it is quite liberating :D

Archived