Should a search be enforced before starting a new thread?

jcrandle

Halos, c'mon. If you were in a crowded room instead of a message board, think of this as a person speaking. Wouldn't it annoy you to no end?

It makes me think of a kid in the middle seat of a minivan going "Momma, momma, momma, momma, momma....".

And would you go to a convention on financial practices and start asking medical questions? No, I mean it's not that hard...when you join you come to the main page. It takes only a few seconds to look over it and post in the section that specifically addresses the issue you are asking.

There are two blue tool bars at the top of this page. One says "Search This Thread" and the one above it is just a plain "Search" button for searching whichever forum you choose.

I want to know where you go on the web site to do a search.

i agree, if you are tired of answering the same question over and over, then just don't. What really kills me is that the same people that complain about answering them again and again are exactly the ones that you will find on those topics every time and a "new" post will sit there without any answers.

Ok then, should we as posters be helpful and start sending new posters in the right direction instead of answering the questions on the wrong forum? I know several times in the past whenever a person has pointed someone to a thread/forum section where the same question has already been asked, the OP and sometimes even regular posters here get angry at them and tell them just to answer the OP's question.

Should we as members who are here be courteous and help CC and our fellow posters by pointing them in the right direction?

Nope but there should be an IQ test as part of the registration process:p

Actually I've always though it would be more helpful to have the IQ posted below the username, rather than the number of posts. Quantity does not equal quality.

It's not so much here at cc, but I post on another board (non-travel-related) where some people post the most ridiculous incorrect info, urban legends, and old wives' tales and other morons seem to take it as the Gospel truth. When some stranger is giving me advice on a message board, it would help to know a little about the poster - he/she could be some nincompoop who, if you knew in real life, you wouldn't give the time of day.

Joking about posting the IQ, but liv's comment did tend to reinforce something I'd thought of previously.

Joking about posting the IQ, but liv's comment did tend to reinforce something I'd thought of previously.

Shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.:rolleyes:

The bottom line for me is that if a person asks me directions, I don't tell them to go buy a road map because somebody else has already figured out how to get there. If I know the answer, I'll give it.

If space is a problem on this board, maybe they should ban postings on crock pots and fishing off the back of the ship and some of the other rediculous postings that are allowed on here.

Actually I've always though it would be more helpful to have the IQ posted below the username, rather than the number of posts. Quantity does not equal quality.

Lets talk about the elephant in the room. In order to become a "Blue Ribbon" or "5000+" poster one must post a lot of posts. Any type of post counts. Since vBulletin which started about 9 months ago. If one wants to be a "5000+" poster that works out to 19 posts a day.

Did you know that one CruiseCritter has 26,923 posts. That works out to 100 posts a day.

Rant over. signing off.

It does get tiresome to see the same questions asked over and over and over again. Every day there seems to be a thread asking for a review of the Glory or some other ship. Maybe it's because not everyone is proficient on computers and don't know how to search or maybe it's because they're too busy to do so. Unfortunately, the same problem exists on all internet bulletin boards.

It's been my experience that the only thing that deters this is a severe flaming for not using the search function before posting. On some boards, moderators lock questions that are repetitive. When this occurs, the board becomes much more hostile. My recommendation is that if a post is repetitive and it "bothers" you, then don't open it or respond.

I double-dare you to post that on the Proper Dress for the Dining Room thread.;)

See heres the thing. Unlike "others" here I don't judge someone by what they post nor would I judge someone from what they decide to wear in the dining room. Do I wish people would make an attempt at the search feature? Yes, just the same as making an attempt at following the "suggested" dress code.:rolleyes:

Funny thing if I didn't know some of these people's faces, I wouldn't know them from Adam on a cruise or anywhere else for that matter.

If space is a problem on this board, maybe they should ban postings on crock pots and fishing off the back of the ship and some of the other rediculous postings that are allowed on here.

Actually, I just checked and I was amazed that there are 2 posts on the Carnival Board with over 10,000 responses each! One is 411 pages long!

Actually, I just checked and I was amazed that there are 2 posts on the Carnival Board with over 10,000 responses each! One is 411 pages long!

Yup, those are roll call threads for Cruise Critic group cruises...

I have not seen a crockpot or fishing thread in a LOOOOONG time :D (but I have a feeling we will now, LOL)

Ohh..okay big brothers, how about if someone posts "IMAGINATION PICTURES" or "PRIDE REVIEW"

there are obviously thousands of those threads. Oh..but that's okay, right?? Let me guess, because it's a new person with new perspective and new experiences - SOOO eventhough its the SAME topic, it's okay? :confused:

we need to come up with MORE RULES i think!

Ohh..okay big brothers, how about if someone posts "IMAGINATION PICTURES" or "PRIDE REVIEW"

there are obviously thousands of those threads. Oh..but that's okay, right?? Let me guess, because it's a new person with new perspective and new experiences - SOOO eventhough its the SAME topic, it's okay? :confused:

Posting a review or pictures is not "asking questions", and the guidelines really don't address that... posting a review is completely different, as one persons review will not be the same as anothers, so posting their review under someone else's thread might not be helpful to others looking for reviews/pictures. The guidelines simply address asking questions... and suggest doing a brief search to see if it has been covered. I agree, things change... but as seen just in the last 24 hours, with several threads on the same subject... things don't change THAT fast :p

Lets talk about the elephant in the room. In order to become a "Blue Ribbon" or "5000+" poster one must post a lot of posts. Any type of post counts. Since vBulletin which started about 9 months ago. If one wants to be a "5000+" poster that works out to 19 posts a day.

Did you know that one CruiseCritter has 26,923 posts. That works out to 100 posts a day.

Rant over. signing off.

I've got my fireproof suit on so flame away.

I agree derf. It seems like many of the posters with the largest post counts also have the largest signatures with numerous animations. For someone with dial up internet access, this can substantially increase the time to load a thread for viewing. It becomes very annoying to see the same sig over and over again on the same page.

It is possible when replying to a message to hide your sig, just uncheck the box that says "Show your signature". This would cut down on the time it takes to check responses to a thread and also cut down on bandwidth usage. Since this was rudely brought to my attention, I try to include my sig only once per page.

Reggie:D

I think you're missing the point. It's not the person who posts the pictures or the review. Folks are having problems with the person who comes on 2 minutes later and asks if anyone has Imagination pictures or a Pride review without doing a quick search first.

PS - I liked the Imagination pictures just posted.

I've got my fireproof suit on so flame away.

I agree derf. It seems like many of the posters with the largest post counts also have the largest signatures with numerous animations. For someone with dial up internet access, this can substantially increase the time to load a thread for viewing. It becomes very annoying to see the same sig over and over again on the same page.

It is possible when replying to a message to hide your sig, just uncheck the box that says "Show your signature". This would cut down on the time it takes to check responses to a thread and also cut down on bandwidth usage. Since this was rudely brought to my attention, I try to include my sig only once per page.

Reggie:D

You can, in your user profile, choose the option of not seeing signatures and animations... which would make life much easier if this is an annoyance... I use this option when traveling... things load much quicker!!

In my previous life before retirement I worked for a large Information Technology company that provided support via forums (among other vehicles). For our internal Question & Answer support, the forum was administered such that a new post could not be initiated unless a search of the fora had been done. At first, there was much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, but after a few months, we discovered 1) many of the questions we were asking had already been addressed, and 2) we often broadened our knowledge of related subjects while reading other Q&A responses.

What do you think about requiring a search before creating a new thread? I realize it may reduce the number of threads on such topics as swim diapers, smuggling liquor, travel irons, shorts in the dining room on formal night, but that may be the price of progress.

And, bye the way, I did do a search prior to creating this thread, and found no hits using my search arguments (required search new thread).

*scratchin' me head and pickin' me teeth*.....Why is this in the Carnival thread?????:confused: Mayhaps another location would have been more appropriate...just a thought.....

Archived