Should a search be enforced before starting a new thread?

jcrandle

I know that I have done searches on questions I have more so then post them as some get upset with the constant asking of the same type of question, however, while doing these searches, I have found out that I can get such a variety of answers, depending on when the question/thread was first started. Each of us, as we look back on our experiences, will give one view of it right after it happens, and then as time passes, there will be some things that change. Might be just the overall feeling of enjoyment or displeasure or maybe the little things that bothered us at first, later do not seem quite so important. Also, due to the fact that there are some changes that do happen aboard a ship, this will also effect what the answers will be.

If I personally have no interest in the thread, I just ignore it. If the thread looks interesting or is something I have been wondering about I will take the time to read it, if after an answer or 2, I find that I have heard the same thing before, I move on.

Now, take this thread, it has over 120 posts before I decided to make mine. Has the point I am making been made somewhere in the 120, most likely, but I did not see it and with that many responses, I can not be expected to remember every thing that was said. Of course some will say that yes I should.

Oh well ... that is my thoughts for what they may or may not be worth.

Candy

I know, personally, like a train wreck, I can't turn away from the questions...especially the hot topics that get debated week after week. I have a choice whether to click on the link and open the thread...I could skip over it, ignore that it's there, but I don't.

Now, I'd say that's my fault...not the fault of the poor unsuspecting soul who dared to post a question that has been asked before. Let's face it...ALL the questions have been asked before. I've been addicted to this dang site for about a year now...I think, I've lost track ;) and there is nothing new to ask. So, in my opinion, there can be nothing new to ask or see on these boards anyway if you hang around here long enough....which is the problem. Those of us that find the questions redundant have been here far too long!! :D

I know, personally, like a train wreck, I can't turn away from the questions...especially the hot topics that get debated week after week. I have a choice whether to click on the link and open the thread...I could skip over it, ignore that it's there, but I don't.

Now, I'd say that's my fault...not the fault of the poor unsuspecting soul who dared to post a question that has been asked before. Let's face it...ALL the questions have been asked before. I've been addicted to this dang site for about a year now...I think, I've lost track ;) and there is nothing new to ask. So, in my opinion, there can be nothing new to ask or see on these boards anyway if you hang around here long enough....which is the problem. Those of us that find the questions redundant have been here far too long!! :D

First, thanks for agreement, Runner Girl. Second--I was wondering when someone would post something like this--there are times curiosity gets the best of me and I feel a need to read a question I know will annoy me too!

I think it's a common thing. But there are at least two ways to react--either realize it's my own problem, or blame the asker and berate them. I figure the former reaction is both nicer and less stressful. I have a theory that the latter reaction comes from a "need to be in control" of some kind.

Todd

• 4 years later...

I seriously have tried and tried to get the quote function to work when trying to quote what someone says. Everytime I attempt it, it doesnt show up with the blue background. It has non-sensical words and then the body of what I was trying to quote followed by more non-sensical words. I am quasi-computer savvy but apparently not enough. :rolleyes: What am I doing wrong??? :mad:

I seriously have tried and tried to get the quote function to work when trying to quote what someone says. Everytime I attempt it, it doesnt show up with the blue background. It has non-sensical words and then the body of what I was trying to quote followed by more non-sensical words. I am quasi-computer savvy but apparently not enough. :rolleyes: What am I doing wrong??? :mad:

wow= you went all the way to 2005 to revive an old post.

Its a good one though--

all you need to do is hit the quote button== then say what you have to say on the bottom.

WOW! I got to see some old old friends on this one.

In the past 5 years, the search function has......

worked

not

worked

not worked

worked

not worked

worked

not worked

worked

not worked

worked

worked

not worked

worked

not worked

worked

not worked

worked

worked

worked

not worked

not worked

worked

not worked

etc.

WOW! I got to see some old old friends on this one.

Awesome!

Thanks for your help again. Ha! I even added an avatar. Woot woot! Now I can participate more. I am typically a lurker.

Next cruise is June 5th out of Charleston. Havent been on a cruise since 2007 and I can honestly say after these postings on Cruise Critic I will know (almost) everything there is to know and every trick in the book. :)

In my previous life before retirement I worked for a large Information Technology company that provided support via forums (among other vehicles). For our internal Question & Answer support, the forum was administered such that a new post could not be initiated unless a search of the fora had been done. At first, there was much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, but after a few months, we discovered 1) many of the questions we were asking had already been addressed, and 2) we often broadened our knowledge of related subjects while reading other Q&A responses.

What do you think about requiring a search before creating a new thread? I realize it may reduce the number of threads on such topics as swim diapers, smuggling liquor, travel irons, shorts in the dining room on formal night, but that may be the price of progress.

And, bye the way, I did do a search prior to creating this thread, and found no hits using my search arguments (required search new thread).

The search function on this site is badly "performance challenged!"

Ahh Dang, old dead thread, sorry.

I can honestly say after these postings on Cruise Critic I will know (almost) everything there is to know and every trick in the book. :)

I dont think so= we are heading out on number 15- been a member since 2000 and I still learn new stuff.

I dont think the search should be used as much as read a page or two before asking a question that has already been asked an hour ago.

I agree! I don't mind answering the same question over as long as it wasn't just asked. That is what this chat was set up for to learn form ones who have cruised before.

I agree! I don't mind answering the same question over as long as it wasn't just asked. That is what this chat was set up for to learn form ones who have cruised before.

I so totally agree, if people could not ask a question that was asked before then this board would not exist. I also agree that if it was asked within the last 4 or 5 pages don't ask it again and search a bit but if it bothers people so much ignore it and move on. I don't mind answering the same questions again and again I was there once and thankful that there were so many of you who responded with wonderful answers etc.

In my opinion, even when the search button works (which is rare) it is not very user friendly or effective. There are just not enough ways to narrow your search. the only options are Search this thread or search this forum. SInce it is likely a thread we are looking for in the first place, we are likely to use "search this forum" Whcih means we are going to see hundreds of threads and posts with the word "pre-paid gratuities" (or whatever your'e searching for.) Under advanced search, you can only narrow down your search by date, number of replies to, or user. None of these will help narrow down a general topic search.

Bottom line, its just easier to ask the question than scroll through hundreds of posts that may or may not contain the info needed.

Well let me be the first to apologize for all of us idiots who are not part of the "elite" circle. Sorry if our inane questions were a bother to you, and I know I will try not to ask any more so you elite members will not feel we interfered in your space.

I agree.While I have learned quite a bit here on these forums,the higher then thou attitudes of some are a real turnoff.

I admit I have said things here just to get a rise out of the few who know it all(I have been a troll)

I cruise this Sunday(Jan 24) When I return,I doubt I will return here on a regular basis as I have the last 6 months.

So,to all who have answed any question(whether it was asked before or not)I say thank you.To those who think they are the "elite circle" you will not be missed.

In my opinion, even when the search button works (which is rare) it is not very user friendly or effective. There are just not enough ways to narrow your search. the only options are Search this thread or search this forum. SInce it is likely a thread we are looking for in the first place, we are likely to use "search this forum" Whcih means we are going to see hundreds of threads and posts with the word "pre-paid gratuities" (or whatever your'e searching for.) Under advanced search, you can only narrow down your search by date, number of replies to, or user. None of these will help narrow down a general topic search.

Bottom line, its just easier to ask the question than scroll through hundreds of posts that may or may not contain the info needed.

As a newbie to this forum and a first time cruiser, I agree. I've never seen a search function that was particularly helpful (not just here, but on other forums I've been using for years) for exactly the reasons you stated. You can spend a whole lot of time reading threads that the search function finds and come across nothing about what you're looking for. That said, I almost always scan at least the first couple of pages before posting.

Jamie

Archived