A ton of questions for 1st time RCCL

RMLincoln

I'm planning for a just-the-girls cruise with a long time girlfriend, Explorer of the Seas, January 2012 out of Cape Liberty. I'm late 50s, she's early 60s. Her first cruise, my 15th, but first time on RCCL. Explorer sounds exciting and from the pictures I've seen it looks so bright and shiny but classy compared to some ships I've been on. Thanks for your help, and patience with me. I love these boards and have made many friends through them, plus learned so much. You guys are the best!

m--

Rooms: Do Inside cabins have couches – I’ve seen them in pictures but I’ve read they had no sitting area. What about Bathrobes? Coffee makers? I see they provide a conditioning shampoo, but what about lotion?

Do most folks find the beds comfortable? (I din't read any compalints!) I loved the beds on Carnival, and HAL is also very comfortable, Celebrity was so-so for me, NCL was bad years ago, (I don’t know if they’ve upgraded) and Princess is consistently miserable for me even with an egg-crate.

MDR? I’ve read there is a surcharge for steaks in the MDR? Can it be? What kind of steak can one get?

Other food service? What free Ice cream is available? I think I read that WJ has soft-serve, but what about scooped, maybe with with toppings at certain times? Is it offered for dessert after dinner in the MDR? That would probably do me.J Is there a sushi, Asian or Indian station in the lunch buffet?

Room Service? Do breakfast choices include any type of protein… eggs, omelets, meats, fish?

Show times? Is it difficult to get to the shows from Traditional dining? For Late dining, is the show usually after dinner? 10pm or 10:30? On Princess you have to get there 20 minutes early to get a seat....ug.

Are there enrichment lectures offered? Art tours of the ship’s art? How hard is it to get tickets to see the Ice Show? Is there a charge for going skating on your own?

Is there a spa area that is ‘no charge’ or are there day passes? I’m thinking Thalassotherapy pool (Loved the Solarium pool on Celebrity Constellation!), steam rooms, heated loungers (free on Carnival outside the gym, not great ambiance; bought a 21 day pass on HAL with fabulous views and loved it! But Ruby Princess area was a dismal cave, IMO…

Do you pay extra at the Promenade Café? Maybe for special coffee but hopefully not for food….

Thanks so much to all of you! :D

I'm planning for a just-the-girls cruise with a long time girlfriend, Explorer of the Seas, January 2012 out of Cape Liberty. I'm late 50s, she's early 60s. Her first cruise, my 15th, but first time on RCCL. Explorer sounds exciting and from the pictures I've seen it looks so bright and shiny but classy compared to some ships I've been on. Thanks for your help, and patience with me. I love these boards and have made many friends through them, plus learned so much. You guys are the best!

m--

Rooms: Do Inside cabins have couches – I’ve seen them in pictures but I’ve read they had no sitting area. What about Bathrobes? Coffee makers? I see they provide a conditioning shampoo, but what about lotion?Our inside on the Oasis had a couch and that was the sitting area. Yes to bathROBE (1 in our room), no to coffee maker, and no to lotion.

Do most folks find the beds comfortable? (I din't read any compalints!) I loved the beds on Carnival, and HAL is also very comfortable, Celebrity was so-so for me, NCL was bad years ago, (I don’t know if they’ve upgraded) and Princess is consistently miserable for me even with an egg-crate. We thought the beds were like clouds from heaven. Even the sofa bed. I wish we could've brought the beds home with us!

MDR? I’ve read there is a surcharge for steaks in the MDR? Can it be? What kind of steak can one get?It's a steak from Chops Grille, but nothing much more special than what they have in the MDR. MDR food is great as it is.

Other food service? What free Ice cream is available? I think I read that WJ has soft-serve, but what about scooped, maybe with with toppings at certain times? Is it offered for dessert after dinner in the MDR? That would probably do me.We didnt eat in the MDR much, but the night we were there I dont recall there being ice cream. Some ships have free ice cream by the pool, on Oasis I did not see scooped, maybe in the Ice Cream Parlor but I didnt go in. Is there a sushi, Asian or Indian station in the lunch buffet? Freedom class ships have the Jade Buffet part of the WJ that is all Asian inspired.

Room Service? Do breakfast choices include any type of protein… eggs, omelets, meats, fish?Yes

Show times? Is it difficult to get to the shows from Traditional dining? For Late dining, is the show usually after dinner? 10pm or 10:30? On Princess you have to get there 20 minutes early to get a seat....ug.Shows are after dinner. Around 10:30 for late dining. Around 8 I think for early seating. Times differ depending on venue and ship.

Are there enrichment lectures offered? Art tours of the ship’s art? How hard is it to get tickets to see the Ice Show? Is there a charge for going skating on your own? Dont know; dont think so; Its fairly easily; Its free!

Is there a spa area that is ‘no charge’ or are there day passes? I’m thinking Thalassotherapy pool (Loved the Solarium pool on Celebrity Constellation!), steam rooms, heated loungers (free on Carnival outside the gym, not great ambiance; bought a 21 day pass on HAL with fabulous views and loved it! But Ruby Princess area was a dismal cave, IMO… Sorry, I dont know. I do know that the Solarium area is not considered the spa so it is just a pool area no charge, with the cantiliever whirlpools in Oasis and Freedom class ships, which I would find pretty relaxing ;):D

Do you pay extra at the Promenade Café? Maybe for special coffee but hopefully not for food…. Depends on what you order. Some 'sample sized' food is free of charge, some free drinks, the rest is at a-la-carte prices.

This is what we found on our Oasis cruise inside stateroom. Answers above in red.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

m--

Rooms: Do Inside cabins have couches – I’ve seen them in pictures but I’ve read they had no sitting area.

Small but 2 can fit.

What about Bathrobes? NO, not on inside.

Coffee makers? No, none in room.

I see they provide a conditioning shampoo, but what about lotion?

They have a body cleaning lostion in place of soap.

Do most folks find the beds comfortable? (I din't read any compalints!) I loved the beds on Carnival, and HAL is also very comfortable, Celebrity was so-so for me, NCL was bad years ago, (I don’t know if they’ve upgraded) and Princess is consistently miserable for me even with an egg-crate.

As good as Carnival

MDR? I’ve read there is a surcharge for steaks in the MDR? Can it be? What kind of steak can one get?

You can get a steak that is sold in the steakhouse. It was $15.00. However, the regular menu was always good.

Other food service? What free Ice cream is available?

Soft Serve, but nothing good as far as Ice Cream.

I think I read that WJ has soft-serve, but what about scooped, maybe with with toppings at certain times? Is it offered for dessert after dinner in the MDR? That would probably do me.J

Is there a sushi, Asian or Indian station in the lunch buffet?

I do not believe a separate station, but it is available sometimes (Indian I don't know)

Room Service? Do breakfast choices include any type of protein… eggs, omelets, meats, fish?

Don't know, always liked to get out and eat on deck. I believe it is a very simple menu.

Show times? Is it difficult to get to the shows from Traditional dining? For Late dining, is the show usually after dinner? 10pm or 10:30? On Princess you have to get there 20 minutes early to get a seat....ug.

Always had early seating, and never a problem getting a seat.

Are there enrichment lectures offered? Art tours of the ship’s art?

None that I know of.

How hard is it to get tickets to see the Ice Show?

Your daily paper will tell you when you can get tickets, and I think you can do this on line now before you cruise. They have several shows. I did not have a problem, but I believe it can fill up.

Is there a charge for going skating on your own?

NO charge for any sport activity on the ship. They have "open" skating times listed in your daily paper.

Is there a spa area that is ‘no charge’ or are there day passes? I’m thinking Thalassotherapy pool (Loved the Solarium pool on Celebrity Constellation!), steam rooms, heated loungers (free on Carnival outside the gym, not great ambiance; bought a 21 day pass on HAL with fabulous views and loved it! But Ruby Princess area was a dismal cave, IMO…

Do not use the spa services.....

Do you pay extra at the Promenade Café? Maybe for special coffee but hopefully not for food….

Regular coffee - free, but specialty coffee is fee based. Food is free. Both at the Pizza shop and Promenade.

I know you had a so/so experience with Celebrity before, but I would also consider the Silhoutte out Bayone. The inside cabins are larger and laid out much better than the Explorer. They have only 12n cruise, not 10/11 like Explorer so they are more expensive. I think you'd enjoy all the new changes they have made to the new Solstice class ships.( Sillhoute is tier newest ship) I love RCCL and celebrity but am noy a fan of RCCL inside cabins.

Ask you cabin steward for a bathrobe. Chances are you will get one.

Ice cream is available every night in the MDR. I have also read that it is available in the Windjammer (buffett) during the evening meal.

All most always see an Indian selection on the lunch time buffett.

Yes, eggs, bacon, sausage and the like are avaialable for breakfast through room service.

Show seating is rarely an issue.

Food in the Promande is included in your cruise fare. There is a charge for specialty coffees.

This is what we found on our Oasis cruise inside stateroom. Answers above in red.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Pichu, it is really kind of you to want to help the original poster, but it's important to actually answer the questions she asked.

She is sailing on the Explorer, and wants to know specifically about the Explorer.

Telling her about your experiences on the Oasis is not relevant, and in some instances, contrary to what she will find on the Explorer.

:)

Robes are not automatic on Explorer. You can ask and you may get them. Depends on supply and demand. Beds are comfy for me. No lotion in inside cabins. No coffee or tea maker in inside cabins. Ice cream is in the main dining room for lunch (when open) and dinner, and Windjammer for dinner. There are steaks offered most nights at no charge. We love the first formal night sliced filet with green peppercorn sauce. The strip steaks are usually good also. No need to purchase a steak!

Hello OP, thank you for kind words! We are going on Explorer for a second time in Dec. It is a beautiful ship in my opinion, it comes in around 138,000 tons. Not small but not enormous, just right. I love the Prominade, its decor is very classy and of high quality construction, it reminds me of an up-scale lobby in the city. Unlike our first cruise on NCL Dawn it's passenger to ship size ratio allows you do find empty places to be alone. Check out deck 4 outside at the rail. I could stay there all day. Explore Explorer for yourself and let CC know how it was when you get back.

Have an awesome cruise!:)

Pichu, it is really kind of you to want to help the original poster, but it's important to actually answer the questions she asked.

She is sailing on the Explorer, and wants to know specifically about the Explorer.

Telling her about your experiences on the Oasis is not relevant, and in some instances, contrary to what she will find on the Explorer.

:)

Most answers still apply to Explorer. The cantilever whirlpools and ice cream parlor do not, but I'm pretty sure everything else does.

I was just shuttling the laundary and came back to a wealth of knowledge:)

Thank you all for the great info. Everything sounds so good. So we will need to ask for robes, ok, I can live with that, and I"ll pack a long shirt just in case. I'm sure the steaks in MDR will be just fine - just couldn't quite believe that they wouldn't serve you a steak! Now I understand and it makes sense. And real ice cream!! Yes:D

I'll miss the enrichment lectures but probably not that much because there is so much else to do!!

We haven't booked it yet - waiting on my girlfriend, UGH.... but I"m ready! It's a ways off and I don't usually book this early but I want to nail down the flights before the prices soar. And then I can get on the roll call and learn even more!!!

I'd love to try the 12 night Celebrity cruise (it was just their bed I didn't like, loved the cruise) but the current price is a stretch for me with air from New Mexico, and for my friend I don't think she's ready to go the extra money for her first cruise. Sounds like Explorer OTS will take excellent care of us!

I'm not thrilled with the "inferior, oh I meant Interior closet" inside rooms but I'd be on the SHIP, and my motto is that "It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!"

Thank you for all the info because those who stretched out from my specific questions have given me a broader flavor of RCCL too, so another example of these boards giving more than we ask for!

Hugs to you all, m--

We are also booked on the explorer December 11th for 12 nights. In my opinion it really is the friendliest staff of any boat. The go totally out of there way to make anything you want happen. The beds are so comfy. We asked our stateroom attendent for bathrobes and got them. They had soft serve every day at the pool. The had scooped ice cream every time we went to the MDR. As an alternate choice every night they had steak on the menu in the main DR. They also offer a pay for steak for $15.00. The food was so good no need to pay for that. Specialty coffee you have to pay for, but not regular. The spa you can use the steam room Sauna and showers but you have to buy a pass for the heated chairs ect. Sofa yes for the interior small loveseat. No coffee maker. Tickets to shows are avalible on the day of embarkment at the Ice skating venue. If you plan on going ice skating there is no charge, BUT YOU MUST HAVE LONG PANTS ON. You will love the explorer.

I would bring my own shampoo if I were you. The first day on our most recent cruise I decided to take a shower before we got our luggage and use the "conditioning shampoo" in the cabin and I think it was just body wash or soap because my hair was absolutely nasty after my shower. If you fly in the night before maybe you can pick some up somewhere near your hotel!

I would bring my own shampoo if I were you. The first day on our most recent cruise I decided to take a shower before we got our luggage and use the "conditioning shampoo" in the cabin and I think it was just body wash or soap because my hair was absolutely nasty after my shower. If you fly in the night before maybe you can pick some up somewhere near your hotel!

Thanks for relaying that experience. I was wondering about it. I would be flying in a day or two before my girlfriend's home in Rhode Island, then taking the train or bus? to the city, and train and car service? to Bayonne. (I've been studying the Ports Board). So we'll be able to bring whatever toilettries we'll need, but what about everybody who does fly in? I think that's a little tacky! And RCCL is not the onlly line that makes it difficult. I guess as cruise addicts we deal with whatever we have to just to be on the ship!

So, Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion, CHECK

2411617990077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for relaying that experience. I was wondering about it. I would be flying in a day or two before my girlfriend's home in Rhode Island, then taking the train or bus? to the city, and train and car service? to Bayonne.

If you take the Acela Amtrak from Providence you can stay on to Newark Penn Station and then cab it to Cape Liberty. If you take the "local" Amtrak from Providence, and other stations in RI, you can stay on to the Newark Airport stop and either take a taxi or the cruise ship shuttle.

Going to Cape Liberty we took the Acela from Boston to Newark Penn Station and taxi to the ship. Going home we took a shared cab to Newark Airport and took the "local" Amtrak back to Boston.

The train trip is lovely and very relaxing.

If you take the Acela Amtrak from Providence you can stay on to Newark Penn Station and then cab it to Cape Liberty. If you take the "local" Amtrak from Providence, and other stations in RI, you can stay on to the Newark Airport stop and either take a taxi or the cruise ship shuttle.

Going to Cape Liberty we took the Acela from Boston to Newark Penn Station and taxi to the ship. Going home we took a shared cab to Newark Airport and took the "local" Amtrak back to Boston.

The train trip is lovely and very relaxing.

Thanks for the details! I hadn't realized the difference, other than the price which is about double for Acela but it may be worth it. So nice to hear from someone who's done it! m--

A wonderful alternative for transportation is Entertainment Tours that offers bus transportation right to the ship, and picks you up at the end.

Check their web site for details.

The wow factor of this class of ship, and I have been on Celebrity and Carnival, is the Royal Promenade and the shear size of the ship. This ship does not have the Ice cream station in the buffet like Celebrity has, nor the T-pool , which we really enjoyed on Celebrity.

In the MDR as a dessert you can get ice cream, I think only chocolate or vanilla or sorbet. We cruise with friends that love both so we have ordered it. I love the sorbet, each night its a different flavor.

We have been offered vanilla, chocolate, butter almond , pistachio and coffee ice cream in the MDR (usually 3 flavors per night plus one sugar-free flavor and one sherbet flavor). You can get chocolate sauce and whipped cream also if you ask nicely!!!! Each serving also comes with cookie!!!!! Enjoy!:)

I will check into Entertainment Tours but I think I need to call them because I found their website lacking, maybe it's me. But if they can pick us up in Providence that would be much easier. Great suggestion. Thank you so much mo&fran.

Rala: If they have ice cream in the MDR that will probably do me just fine, otherwise I'd want to eat it all day...... and have no clothes to wear home :) Thanks for the update.

Steaks: The extra charge steak is the "Chop's Fillet" for around $15. There is a sirloin available every night (sometimes OK, sometimes tough). Prime rib is served night 1 and the 2nd formal night. The first formal night (day 2) is "Fillet of Beef" and it is very good (no extra charge). Here is web page (not mine) that has menus and pictures. The menus are the same on all ships. Point to the word "Food" at the top to see other days.

http://www.cruisegoers.com/mariner/food/menu-and-pictures-day-1/

Your nights might change, but this give you an idea.

Ice Cream: MDR always has hard scooped ice cream. MDR is open for lunch on sea days only (try the "tutti salad" bar). There should be a Ben and Jerrys (costs extra) on deck 5 near Cafe Promenade. Johnny Rockets has Sundaes (costs extra but included with the $4.95 food charge) and milkshakes (always costs extra). And the softserve cones on deck 11 are pretty good.

Showtimes: Many evenings your theater shows will be before late dining. Check your daily newsletter.

Ice Skating: No charge for ice skating or even for ice skates. If you want, you can pay for a private lesson from one of the pro's -- around $75 or so depending on what the pro wants to charge.

Cafe Promenade: No charge except for specialty coffees and booze.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived