Account Charges after Disembarkation

trophy_23

I'd love to hear what in the world made those pedometers so special they are worth $48? :eek:

DH and I wear pedometers all the time on vacation and I pick them up in WalMart type store for $7 or thereabouts.

What do those pedometers do? Melt fat off hips? :D If so, send me a case, please.

Yes.. same here.. we have more in our junk drawer from insurance companies.. than I want to count.. They are meaningless..and why I stressed .. I would take a towel.. omg.. even SOAP before this item.. .. toliet paper even.. !

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have an idea why this happens? My husband thinks all cruise lines try this..thinking that many won't bother to look at final cc bill, and compare..and if they do.. they let it go thinking.. maybe it is right? I hateee to think this is how they make extra money.. do you all think it is what they are trying to do? Sooo frustrating!

I use to live in Dallas and there was a resturant that we use to frequent for lunch. EVERY SINGLE TIME we ate there, the credit card statement was for more (only 50 to 90 cents) than we spent and we would have to call and have it corrected. Eventually we stopped eating there and shortly thereafter, a server from that restaurant was arrested for adding small amounts to everyone's bill and he had made over $30,000 the previous year from doing this and they finally caught him! His excuse was that people were there on business lunches and the companies were paying for the meals anyway so it didn't matter :eek: and that it wasn't enough to hurt anyone person! Unbelieveable!

But if he made over $30,000 in one year just from 50 to 90 cents per table, I can't fathom to think what a cruise company (any cruise company) could be making off us. That would be how many cabins times how many ships??? I wouldn't put it past any cruise line to make money this way. There are so many people that just don't check their credit card statements and compare it to their receipts. They just glance and see that, yes I purchased something there and that sounds about right. And for some people, it isn't worth their time to call and deal with the hassle of getting $5 to $10 removed, so it's free money to the company.

I use to live in Dallas and there was a resturant that we use to frequent for lunch. EVERY SINGLE TIME we ate there, the credit card statement was for more (only 50 to 90 cents) than we spent and we would have to call and have it corrected. Eventually we stopped eating there and shortly thereafter, a server from that restaurant was arrested for adding small amounts to everyone's bill and he had made over $30,000 the previous year from doing this and they finally caught him! His excuse was that people were there on business lunches and the companies were paying for the meals anyway so it didn't matter :eek: and that it wasn't enough to hurt anyone person! Unbelieveable!

But if he made over $30,000 in one year just from 50 to 90 cents per table, I can't fathom to think what a cruise company (any cruise company) could be making off us. That would be how many cabins times how many ships??? I wouldn't put it past any cruise line to make money this way. There are so many people that just don't check their credit card statements and compare it to their receipts. They just glance and see that, yes I purchased something there and that sounds about right. And for some people, it isn't worth their time to call and deal with the hassle of getting $5 to $10 removed, so it's free money to the company.

We had a restaurant in our area where some of us always left cash tips -- but this one waitress would add on tips to the bill. The boss never bothered to check carefully that the numbers for the total has been written over with a scribbled set of signatures on the charge slip approving of the write over. The first time it happened to us we called the manager and it was fixed. The second time it happened he started to look at other receipts more closely. She got wind of what was happening -- left for Florida and never came back.

I always pay for my bill in cash. Last time I was on the Zuiderdam, there was quite a line up for people disputing the charge for the mini bar. I always ask them to lock it the first day, then don't have a problem. If I need something cold, I will just use the ice bucket and ice.

We've never had it happen after we got home, but once we got a final bill on board that included a bottle of water we hadn't used. The line at the front desk was long, and we wanted to get off and get going home, so HAL got away with it. :(

Unfortunate but true, so sad. That is why when I am thinking of booking less than a deluxe suite, (as I really do not need all lf those perks), I decide against it. Last cruise I needed help when NL was closed, and ended up at the front desk for 2 hours. Funny, there was only a small line. Management kept walking by and no one helped. Well, you take the good with the bad. Our cruises have been reasonable in cost, but I will not book a suite without a concierge. Ever. As well, I pre purchase SBC, because to many CC issues first HAL cruise.

When I got back from my cruise on the Prinsendam, I found I was charged more than my final bill. So I emailed HAL. I had an answer within 24 hours with a list of everything that was consumed in the mini bar (dh was a very bad boy - 2 sodas & a beer - but they did give me my mariner discount.). The first day the steward charged us, so in all honesty, I didn't notice that he didn't continue doing so.

Seems they leave to the mini bar people to do it. In any case, when I checked I found that they were 100% accurate - so it was no big deal.

HOWEVER, they specifically stated in the email if there was any discrepancy they would gladly reverse it.:)

We used Luggage Direct on our December cruise. On our final bill there were 2 baggage charges ($25) in addition to the Luggage Direct fees even though our baggage should have been free. We told the concierge about it but had to leave the ship before we had a answer. I followed up with HAL by email after we returned home. We had a call from the Luggage Direct folks about a week later telling us the the charges were reversed. (BTW.. Luggage Direct worked great for us and we will use it when it is offered from now on.)

It seems an ongoing frustration for many passengers being charged for items in the mini bar when they did not use them.

Fortunately we were in our cabin on disembark day when the crew member came in to "count" the mini-bar. I stood overlooking his shoulder as he did his count. He said "Oh, One Diet Coke". I said "No, DH and I cannot drink artificial sweeteners...we did not use a Diet Coke!" I did make sure on embarkation to note what of each and how many items were in the little frig. The count on our last morning was exactly the same. We did not use anything! We did not get charged for the soda, but I was a bit concerned that he said the count was off.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the Neiuw Amsterdam and the final bill did not match the amount charged on the credit card. This is the second cruise in a row it happens. The first time it was only couple of dollars, this time is almost $40. A quick e-mail sort it out but I wonder how it can keep happening that "an item was posted to the incorrect stateroom" again.

Archived