Unrest in Greeece - What does the Captain do?

Windsailer

We have an upcoming HAL cruise that includes Athens. Since there seems to be a bit of unrest off and on - taxi strikes, metro strikes - what does the Captain do before we arrive at that Port? If there is a potential for a taxi or Metro strike - is that announced on-board so the passengers can decide whether to get off the ship or not? Asking based on the previous experiences by HAL passengers in similar situations. Thanks!

Chances are -- if there is a lot of problems in Athens -- the Captain will be informed by Seattle and the local authorities -- plans will be made to not even go to that port. You will be notified either before the cruise if the issues aren't settled or once you are on the ship.

In 2008 we were scheduled to stop at Martinique -- but they had major problems as well -- strikes shut down everything - so we ended going to Dominica instead.

HAL will keep everyone safe.

We have an upcoming HAL cruise that includes Athens. Since there seems to be a bit of unrest off and on - taxi strikes, metro strikes - what does the Captain do before we arrive at that Port? If there is a potential for a taxi or Metro strike - is that announced on-board so the passengers can decide whether to get off the ship or not? Asking based on the previous experiences by HAL passengers in similar situations. Thanks!

The safety of the passengers, crew and ship always comes first with HAL. The situation will be monitored closely and, when the Athens port call arrives, a course of action will be agreed upon by the master/captain, the port agent, local authorities and certain individuals in Seattle. That decision will then be announced/relayed to the passengers by the captain, usually via the ship's P/A system. This can be done as late as the morning of that port call. No worries!

I'm not commenting from personal experience, but if it is public or quasi-public services on strike, I'd doubt the line would cancel. They might even use the situation to promote their excursions - if they had high confidence in them. They might make announcements and print advisories for the daily; It depends on the situation. If there are riots, or clashes between protestors and cops are likely, then the line will cancel and possibly replace Athens with another port - or a sea day. Cruise line security coordination is very sophisticated. The safety or the ships and passengers comes first for every reason.

In Athens, I don't think safety is the question. It's inconvenience that's the issue. There have been rolling transportation strikes (some days taxis, some days all transportation) for the past couple of weeks since all the Europeans have come back from their August holidays.

If there is a general "public sector" strike that would likely involve closure of main sights, such as the Acropolis, I think it highly likely that the ship would try to arrange to dock elsewhere. It's important to note, though, that these strikes often are not called too far in advance. You may not know until a day or two before the port. Some other cruise lines have taken this tack during this summer and last summer, include Princess and Celebrity. I'm not sure if I've read a personal experience from a HAL cruiser....

There have also been strikes where the striking workers have blocked access to/from the port in Piraeus in the past couple of years. When that happens, the ship may not be able to get folks out on shore excursions, even if the buses are there. Again, some cruises have opted to divert to another port (or spend more time at sea) in such a situation.

Isn't that what Port Agents are for? To advise the Captain/ship/HAL of current and expected activities in their port? To keep them updated and provide reliable information?

Yes, the HAL port agent is/acts as the liaison between the ship's captain and the local authorities

We were in Athens August 1st on Nieuw Amsterdam when the taxi drivers were on strike. We had a private tour arranged but as the drivers were part of the union striking our tour got canceled at the last minute. Safety wasn't an issue but the inconvenience was. The busses and trains were running that day so we were able to adjust our plans. The ship did not provide any information that we were aware of regarding the taxi strike. Perhaps if all systems were not running they might have......a good day to be on a ship tour I guess;)

If the problem is taxi or transit strikes. Consider using ship tours to see the city. At least you have the assurance that the ship won't sail without you in the event of a strike. I know many people on the boards don't like to pay the higher prices on ship tours, but this is one occasion where discretion could be "the better part of valor". If you take my meaning. If it were me, I would spring for the ship tour if it meant being certain of getting back to the ship. Just a thought...

As Athens will be one of the Ports in the middle of our cruise, I just want to be able to access the most current info re possible problems in Athens. Who on the ship would I ask the morning it docks in Athens if there hasn't been any type of announcement?

If there is anything you need to know about strikes, transportation problems, or anything of concern to your safety and ability to return to the ship, you will either recieve a letter in your mailbox or announcement over the speaker system from CD or Captain. You will be kept informed of information critical to your safety and advise as to transportation and planning.

Were it me...... I would right now sign up for ship's transfer from Pireaus, where you will dock, to Athens. Pay for the transfer and have the peace of mind to know they will get you back to the ship. If during the cruise, you learn situation has changed and the transfer is no longer as desireable, I think you can cancel three days prior and get refund. VERIFY THAT for yourself to be sure.

If you wait to book until you get to the ship, you could find the transfer sold out and no more available to buy from Shore Excursion office.

If there is anything you need to know about strikes, transportation problems, or anything of concern to your safety and ability to return to the ship, you will either recieve a letter in your mailbox or announcement over the speaker system from CD or Captain. You will be kept informed of information critical to your safety and advise as to transportation and planning.

But, as posted above (post #12), it does not appear that HAL provided any advance information regarding a taxi strike.

I wouldn't always count on the ship advising you in advance. If it were me, I would ask the question on the Tripadvisor Athens forum shortly before my departure as to whether there are any strikes scheduled. These strikes generally are being announced shortly in advance, not the day of/day before. There are a number of helpful local posters who will let you know. If you can access the Internet while on the ship, I would check again a couple of days before you arrive.

Here is a Greek news site (in English) that always seems to have an update as to upcoming planned strikes:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/

And here is a link to other good sources of information on upcoming strikes:

http://athens.angloinfo.com/information/38/strikes.asp

Upcoming general strikes that have been announced appear to be scheduled for October 5 and 19 -- as of now. A variety of lesser strikes (e.g., a 48-hour taxi strike) are planned for the upcoming week.

In the case of Athens, information about strikes may not be in the public domain until 24hrs before. Sometimes you get a week or two (or even more) notice. The Noordam called on Athens on Thursday and pax knew 24hrs before about the taxi/transportation strikes.

If all public transport goes on strike, traffic grinds to a halt so private bus tours may well be cancelled.

The problems in Athens will be ongoing and I fear cruise lines are considering dropping it altogether. I have no special information, I just think it is a possible worst case scenario.

Smooth sailing...

I fear that longer term WorldCitizen may be right. We sail on 14th from Piraeus, and get backto Piraeus on the 25th. I am less concerned about 25th - we will just have to play it as it comes. However, I have great fears for the 14th. We fly to Athens on the 13th and in theory unless general transport strike as there has been last couple of days we could take taxi, train or bus to Piraeus. We decided to stay in Piraeus as at least we would be near the dock if there was trouble on the 14th. As I understand it when the taxi strike was on earlier they just blocked road access to airport and the port. We could in theory drag our luggage about a mile to the port from hotel. However ..... if airport is closed on the 13th we could not get to port on 14th if flight delayed unless Rotterdam sails much later. I now have confirmed why the price of this cruise dropped so much!!!!

I fear that longer term WorldCitizen may be right. We sail on 14th from Piraeus, and get backto Piraeus on the 25th. I am less concerned about 25th - we will just have to play it as it comes. However, I have great fears for the 14th. We fly to Athens on the 13th and in theory unless general transport strike as there has been last couple of days we could take taxi, train or bus to Piraeus. We decided to stay in Piraeus as at least we would be near the dock if there was trouble on the 14th. As I understand it when the taxi strike was on earlier they just blocked road access to airport and the port. We could in theory drag our luggage about a mile to the port from hotel. However ..... if airport is closed on the 13th we could not get to port on 14th if flight delayed unless Rotterdam sails much later. I now have confirmed why the price of this cruise dropped so much!!!!

They did that once.

For your arrival you can book a hotel with a car service - major hotels have one and they can meet you at the airport and drop you off at the ship. Its pricey but you may consider it well worth it for the peace of mind.

We do.

There is always the chance the ship may not call at Piraeus at all if transportation from the airport, to and from the port and to and from hotels etc is interrupted.

It is possible they could change ports which is not done lightly on embark/debark day. Prior planning by all who are expecting to board is definitely mandatory and the best bet is to book HAL's transportation. That is the best bet for them taking care of you in one way or another.

It probably costs more dollars but could save lots of grief.

Archived